Schiit Owners Unite
Aug 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #6,662 of 13,350

It's soooooooooooooooooooooooo pretty.

Someday I hope to have the exact same Schiit stack next to my computer. Being a bit crazy, however, I plan to use the Valhalla 2 as a preamp for my DIY SURE TPA3116 amp and Pioneer SP-BS22LR speakers.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #6,663 of 13,350
Hey guys I have a two part question. Part 1, how long does it take the Valhalla 2 to fully burn in and part 2 how long for the HD-650s? Thank you in advance for your help.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #6,664 of 13,350
Hey guys I have a two part question. Part 1, how long does it take the Valhalla 2 to fully burn in and part 2 how long for the HD-650s? Thank you in advance for your help.

Depends on who you talk to. Some say 100 hours or more. Some say zero. In my personal/subjective experience, I can't identify a burn-in effect, at least not one that I can separate reliably from my perceptions, power of suggestion, etc. But WHATEVER you conclude, it is a fact that those components will sound excellent from the first moment you start using them. So, enjoy! And if they get even better after burn-in, then there's your free bonus!

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #6,665 of 13,350
Depends on who you talk to. Some say 100 hours or more. Some say zero. In my personal/subjective experience, I can't identify a burn-in effect, at least not one that I can separate reliably from my perceptions, power of suggestion, etc. But WHATEVER you conclude, it is a fact that those components will sound excellent from the first moment you start using them. So, enjoy! And if they get even better after burn-in, then there's your free bonus!

+1 thank you
gs1000.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #6,666 of 13,350

+1 thank you
gs1000.gif

Yeah, if you don't have odd expectations, you will not be disappointed or have to wait too long for the fun to begin, Like Bill says, anything extra is a bonus.

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #6,667 of 13,350
The tubes are what really matters and brand new, unused tubes need 15 hours or so.  I usually just leave them playing overnight.  However, I suspect Schiit provides matched sets, which means they have to be burned in before matching.  You probably don't even have to run a signal through them, just leaving them on is probably enough - what needs to happen is the getter makes the vacuum near perfect and it needs to be warm to do that.  Maybe there's also some initial evaporation form the cathode and heater that needs to be removed.  Anyone who sells a matched set has to do this initial conditioning before measuring them.

Other stuff, like power caps will improve over time, but it's pretty marginal compared to tubes.

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #6,668 of 13,350
So this is probably a well known thing but holy poopsticks Batman I just stumbled across http://www.audiobot9000.com, it's going to come in VERY handy in the future in helping me pair headphones with amps. Sorry I get excited over little things lol
popcorn.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #6,669 of 13,350
So this is probably a well known thing but holy poopsticks Batman I just stumbled across http://www.audiobot9000.com, it's going to come in VERY handy in the future in helping me pair headphones with amps. Sorry I get excited over little things lol:popcorn:

No, it is exciting, very, useful site!!

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #6,670 of 13,350
Yeah I was going to try to get a Woo Wa6-SE to go with my LCD-2 but it would appear it don't power them well enough so I'll just get the Mjolnir which is JUST fine cause it's the one I was leaning towards anyway. I'll just have to get my some balanced cables off of Moon-Audio but that day is still a good ways off, well unless them temptation gets too bad
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #6,671 of 13,350
  So this is probably a well known thing but holy poopsticks Batman I just stumbled across http://www.audiobot9000.com, it's going to come in VERY handy in the future in helping me pair headphones with amps. Sorry I get excited over little things lol
popcorn.gif

I've found that website to calculate headphone SPL levels incorrectly, for example the results for the HE500 and HD600 are way off. One of the forum members, Rob Robinette has an excel spreadsheet somewhere on head-fi that that is accurate. He has also put an excellent app up for Android called "Headphone Calculator"on the Google Play Store, for free. This app doesn't compare to amps,so that would be our time consuming task.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_robinette77.HeadphoneCalculator&hl=en

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #6,673 of 13,350
As long as it gives me somewhat of a ballpark estimate I'll be happy.

Besides the outright errors in the specs ( I found 2 with the XM6 and HD700s I own) the calculation does not take into account the power supply capability. So if a manufacturer has not specified ratings at or above the 70 ohms of the LCD-2s the calculation may be significantly off. Overall it is a useful resource.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6,674 of 13,350
Besides the outright errors in the specs ( I found 2 with the XM6 and HD700s I own) the calculation does not take into account the power supply capability. So if a manufacturer has not specified ratings at or above the 70 ohms of the LCD-2s the calculation may be significantly off. Overall it is a useful resource.

Also the newest LCD-2s have higher impedance and sensitivity.

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #6,675 of 13,350
Hello Schiit fans,

I'm about to dive into schiit's dac/amp/switch, but i want to know if they have a speaker amp. It's for nothing more than just a few 8ohm shelf speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back