Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 11, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #6,031 of 13,350
  how do i know it is a line level (unamplified) RCA output?

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103D-Features.aspx

i know it has a dac in it 

Well, every CD/DVD/Blu-Ray player has some sort of DAC in it, otherwise, how would it produce any sound from a digital content?

I guess you could use your Oppo as a stereo line source (FL/FR) if its built-in DAC is decent enough. It looks like its analog outputs are not amplified.
Or use one of its digital outputs with an external DAC.

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #6,032 of 13,350

Analog Audio: 7.1ch, 5.1ch, stereo.
See those RCA jacks on back and read page 16 of the user manual, the link is below.

Coaxial/Optical Audio: Dolby Digital, DTS, up to 2ch/192kHz PCM.
To connect to an external DAC, etc

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP103/BDP-103D_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.1.pdf

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #6,033 of 13,350
Using those RCA outputs for a headphone amp only doesn't make sense, though.. So I'd rather use a digital output/external DAC for it.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #6,034 of 13,350
  Using those RCA outputs for a headphone amp only doesn't make sense, though.. So I'd rather use a digital output/external DAC for it.

An Uber Bifrost without USB would do the trick. Followed by an Asgard 2.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #6,035 of 13,350
Jul 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #6,036 of 13,350
  An Uber Bifrost without USB would do the trick. Followed by an Asgard 2.

that is 600 just to get my hd 600's sounding good

combined with the oppo 103d it is 1200

the oppo 105 d has a ton of audiophille equipment in it including a headphone amp and it costs 1200

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #6,037 of 13,350
  the oppo 105 d has a ton of audiophille equipment in it including a headphone amp and it costs 1200

Then you might be better served with 105D. Dedicated DAC/amp is a superior and more flexible solution, though.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #6,039 of 13,350

Honestly, easiest thing is to just try it with the various outputs (if there are multiple) and see which one you like best.

Just be careful to turn the Asgard all the way down before you start any music playing!

Even if it's not a line level output, it still may sound very good; and if it turns out you want a better/different DAC later you've already got a good amp to go with it.

People make a big deal about double-amping; but it isn't necessarily something you're going to notice.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #6,040 of 13,350
  that is 600 just to get my hd 600's sounding good

combined with the oppo 103d it is 1200

I have a BDP-105 that I run its stereo outs directly into my Lyr 2 and the sound is first class.  The DAC implementation in the OPPO players are excellent so I would not initially jump to the Bifrost as it will not give you the same improvement as going to the Asgard 2. If you are using HDMI to connect to your receiver, then you are NOT using the DAC in your Oppo for HT multichannel sound.  This would leave the analog outputs free for connecting to an Asgard.  If your receiver has multi-channel analog inputs (RCA) and you will be connecting your Oppo with these then you will be using your Oppo DAC for multichannel HT sound. You can then use a Tape Output from your receiver or a Y-Adapter on the FL/FR outputs of your Oppo to connect to the Asgard for optimum sound.  BTW connected this way, your Oppo handles the room surround setup not your receiver.

I chose the 105 as it gave me a Class A DAC with optimized dedicated stereo outputs for pure stereo use as well as the standalone capabilities of a separate DAC along with the functionality of the 103 series.  Hope this helps.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #6,043 of 13,350
  I have a BDP-105 that I run its stereo outs directly into my Lyr 2 and the sound is first class.  The DAC implementation in the OPPO players are excellent so I would not initially jump to the Bifrost as it will not give you the same improvement as going to the Asgard 2. If you are using HDMI to connect to your receiver, then you are NOT using the DAC in your Oppo for HT multichannel sound.  This would leave the analog outputs free for connecting to an Asgard.  If your receiver has multi-channel analog inputs (RCA) and you will be connecting your Oppo with these then you will be using your Oppo DAC for multichannel HT sound. You can then use a Tape Output from your receiver or a Y-Adapter on the FL/FR outputs of your Oppo to connect to the Asgard for optimum sound.  BTW connected this way, your Oppo handles the room surround setup not your receiver.

I chose the 105 as it gave me a Class A DAC with optimized dedicated stereo outputs for pure stereo use as well as the standalone capabilities of a separate DAC along with the functionality of the 103 series.  Hope this helps.

yea kinda
in the manual it says it has..................
Composite video and analog audio jacks 
(BD/DVD IN, VCR/DVR IN
 and 
OUT, CBL/SAT IN, 
GAME IN, TV/CD IN)

here is the manual. page 9 has the picture of the back with all inputs and outputs

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/HT-S5600_English.pdf

is what you said possible?....and by what you are saying that the oppo will take care of the sound and not the onkyo and also the asgard would take care of my hd 600s.......?
why would you need a lyr2 on top of the 105........are the headphones absolutely amazing??....the headphone amp in the 105 nothing special?

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #6,044 of 13,350
  Would you guys recommend the BJC optical cable? Or can someone point me in the direction of a good glass one, needs to be 6ft.

I have BJC Optical and it's great, you don't need anything more expensive. It's not glass, but a very high quality plastic (Mitsubishi ESKA).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back