Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5,840 of 13,350
Happy new owner of Valhalla. Using my Decco2 as a DAC, great amp for the DT880.

How does it sound? Which HP's are you using?

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #5,841 of 13,350
Jun 25, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #5,842 of 13,350
My ASUS definitely does, I will be ordering one next week, hopefully the end of USB drops.

My Asus laptop has a weird problem where my Modi DAC will start playing music too fast (exactly 10% faster) after bringing the laptop out of sleep, IF I had music paused when I put it to sleep. Simple enough to avoid, but I wonder if Wyrd would cure it.  This is my second Modi this happens to, so I know it's not defective.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #5,844 of 13,350

My Asus laptop has a weird problem where my Modi DAC will start playing music too fast (exactly 10% faster) after bringing the laptop out of sleep, IF I had music paused when I put it to sleep. Simple enough to avoid, but I wonder if Wyrd would cure it.  This is my second Modi this happens to, so I know it's not defective.

That issue generally occurs when the playback software is decoding the audio at a certain sample rate and then the playback device changes the sample from that sample rate to a higher sample rate. Effectively you have music being decoded at 44.1kHz and played back at 48kHz which is almost exactly 10% faster playback speed. I've had this issue with a firewire sound card and QLab on a Mac when I changed the sample rate, QLab did respond by changing its own sample rate, check to see what you audio settings are when the issue happens.

Unfortunately I don't think it will be a simple fix with Wyrd since it's probably an issue completely with your OS rather than any hardware.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5,845 of 13,350

That issue generally occurs when the playback software is decoding the audio at a certain sample rate and then the playback device changes the sample from that sample rate to a higher sample rate. Effectively you have music being decoded at 44.1kHz and played back at 48kHz which is almost exactly 10% faster playback speed. I've had this issue with a firewire sound card and QLab on a Mac when I changed the sample rate, QLab did respond by changing its own sample rate, check to see what you audio settings are when the issue happens.

Unfortunately I don't think it will be a simple fix with Wyrd since it's probably an issue completely with your OS rather than any hardware.

Thanks for the info. I guess I can save my money and just avoid pausing music and putting the computer to sleep.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5,846 of 13,350
Awesome, no feedback loop or USB problems!  The X's seem so much more precise, fuller, and wider now.  Very much refined overall.  Looking forward to burning in the Schiit stack and getting my cable tomorrow.

It's good to be back in audio heaven! 
smile.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #5,847 of 13,350
Just ordered the Wyrd. Should be here by end of next week. I was debating the iFi Purifier and the iUSB Power after reading some positive reviews of both. I'm having usb noise issues from my MacBook Pro, so hopefully the Wyrd might work similarly as the Purifier for the same price.

Schiit has launched the Wyrd ! I could be late on this but.........

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #5,848 of 13,350
A bit of an interlude from Wyrd, I am listening to Heifetz's RCA recording of Sibelius Violin Concerto, laptop>Modi>Lyr 2>HD650's, my God what beautiful music, goosebumps abounding. Love all of the engineering, tech speak and endless debate about cables, my toys are better/more expensive/prettier bling than yours, carping about pre-orders, etc., but this is what it's all about. Oh, and the opportunity to sample exotic Micro-Brews at RMAF :heart_eyes:.

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #5,849 of 13,350
Just ordered the Wyrd. Should be here by end of next week. I was debating the iFi Purifier and the iUSB Power after reading some positive reviews of both. I'm having usb noise issues from my MacBook Pro, so hopefully the Wyrd might work similarly as the Purifier for the same price.

Please post a review when you receive it.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #5,850 of 13,350

Please post a review when you receive it.

Will do. Apparently the Wyrd shipped today, so I may have it as soon as Monday.

edit: here is my brief writeup about my initial experience with the Wyrd. Let me know if you have any questions :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/724519/schiit-decrapifier-released-usb-power-isolator#post_10679088

Users who are viewing this thread

Back