Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #5,086 of 13,350
Hey guys,

I recently received a pair of HE-500s and paired them with a magni and modi. It sounds okay but I think I'd like to step it up to one of the other, more powerful schiit offerings. Any suggestions? DAC or amp.

Note:  in another thread, minutes ago, Jason of Schiit hinted at a cheaper-than-BiFrost DAC with optical input.
don't know if that means it's a "Modi+optical"  or a new mini-Bifrost Uber with USB and optical" ???

In the vali thread

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #5,087 of 13,350

Personally I would say no. I would rather put my money towards one high-end / totl headphone rather than several midrange headphones. But that's just me.

+1

Go for the A2 (ik heb er thuis ook een staan en het is een geweldige versterker!!
biggrin.gif
 ) and I would combine the budget for both headphones and put it towards 1 higher end model (not knowing your reasoning behind getting 2 headphones, of course)

:wink:

You make a great point on the 2 headphones issue. My first reaction would also be to save the cash and buy high-end. People here do go for multiple headphones for different genres.

Thx! The Schiit Asgard 2/ Bifrost will be coming to my desk, sure of that. 

Think I'll just get the HD600, really curious to how it sounds.

thx 

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5,089 of 13,350
I've got the Asgard 2 paired with my Onkyo A-9050 powering my LCD 2's. Sometime later this week I'll be upgrading the system with silver interconnects and a DIY braided 8 foot 22awg solid silver headphone cable.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #5,091 of 13,350
Hey guys does anyone know if you can switch Lyr, or any schiit amps as a matter of fact, voltage from 110V to 220V?

So say if I buy an amp from the US second hand, how would I go about making it compatible in AUS, other then replacing power cable?

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #5,093 of 13,350
  Unfortunately you can't you have to change the power cable :

Don't the cables just plug into an inbuilt power supply? So wouldn't changing the cable not effect the fact that its still a 110V unit?

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #5,095 of 13,350
Ahh okay fair enough, thanks for the info!

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #5,097 of 13,350
Hello guys just went ahead and bought myself a Magni to use with an HE400. My budget wouldnt allow me to get a MODI so i had to settle for hooking the Magni directly to my computer using a 3.5 mm to 2 RCA male cable. Would this significantly affect the sound quality since i heard that it would be using both the computer amp and the Magni. My motherboard is fairly high end

"http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87_MPOWER.html#overview"

Blue-Line in: Used for connecting external audio outputting devices.

Green- Line out: Used as a connector for speakers or headphone.

Pink- Mic: Used as a connector for a microphone.

Black- RS-Out: Rear surround sound line out in 4/ 5.1/ 7.1 channel mode.

Orange- CS-Out: Center/ subwoofer line out in 5.1/ 7.1 channel mode.

Gray- SS-Out: Side surround sound line out in 7.1 channel mode.

Thank you in advance!

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #5,098 of 13,350
Hello guys just went ahead and bought myself a Magni to use with an HE400. My budget wouldnt allow me to get a MODI so i had to settle for hooking the Magni directly to my computer using a 3.5 mm to 2 RCA male cable. Would this significantly affect the sound quality since i heard that it would be using both the computer amp and the Magni. My motherboard is fairly high end z87 mpower max

Thank you in advance! Here are my mobo audio ports

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #5,099 of 13,350
fasty1 >>> I have a MODI and a Magni on the way.. The Modi is the star of the show. Get one when you can afford to. Best Bang 4 the $ in audio. You don't know how bad the sound is in your computer until you get yourself a DAC. You don't need to spend more than $99.00

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #5,100 of 13,350
  Hello guys just went ahead and bought myself a Magni to use with an HE400. My budget wouldnt allow me to get a MODI so i had to settle for hooking the Magni directly to my computer using a 3.5 mm to 2 RCA male cable. Would this significantly affect the sound quality since i heard that it would be using both the computer amp and the Magni. My motherboard is fairly high end

"http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87_MPOWER.html#overview"

Thank you in advance!

Yes, it affects the sound quality. The quality of your motherboard is not an issue. You're using a headphone out jack, which will drive a low to moderate impedance headphone without the use of an amplifier.

And yes, you can do this for a while if you need to. But I would not suggest this as a permanent setup. Why? Honestly, because it sucks. The HE-400 is a low impedance can, so you really don't even need to drive it with an amp, if your budget is that tight. You could have just saved that money for the time when you can buy both an amp and a DAC.

You won't really appreciate the difference until you hear it for the first time. And then you'll do a faceplant and wonder why you waited so long.

Basically what's happening right now is that you are double-amp'ing your sound, and that just introduces more distortion. The headphone jack or speaker out jack is already amplified, so hooking another amp to that will just make things louder and noisier. You will not get cleaner sound until you introduce a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back