Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 17, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #5,071 of 13,350
  :p I don't think so, I'll be combining it with my Xonar Essence stx and maybe later this year get the bifrost. 

I've kinda made up my mind, it's just hard for me to press the button because it is alot of money. 

Anyone recommand me some rca cables (around 2/3meters)

what is the shop for A2 ?

Edit : I found it...

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #5,074 of 13,350

Personally I would say no. I would rather put my money towards one high-end / totl headphone rather than several midrange headphones. But that's just me.

+1

Go for the A2 (ik heb er thuis ook een staan en het is een geweldige versterker!!
biggrin.gif
 ) and I would combine the budget for both headphones and put it towards 1 higher end model (not knowing your reasoning behind getting 2 headphones, of course)

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #5,075 of 13,350
+1

Go for the A2 (ik heb er thuis ook een staan en het is een geweldige versterker!! :D  ) and I would combine the budget for both headphones and put it towards 1 higher end model (not knowing your reasoning behind getting 2 headphones, of course)

You make a great point on the 2 headphones issue. My first reaction would also be to save the cash and buy high-end. People here do go for multiple headphones for different genres.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #5,076 of 13,350
Since I've read a lot about the Valhalla and the HD650 is a very nice match, I'm considering in the mid-term getting a Valhalla amp for my home rig. I currently own a Audio GD Fun (DAC / AMP Combo), I would like to know if any of you has had the oportunity to compare an Audio GD product (Maybe the Compass, Fun or NBF12) against the valhalla. Certainly the FUN has a lot of power. Would we be talking about a big change or would it be noticeable but Marginal?

How does the valhalla matches Grado cans? My other home headphones are SR225i. It's not that critical since the FUN match them very well and I'm planning to keep both, since the FUN is my only dac for the time being.

Sorry if this was asked before but the thread is very long!

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #5,077 of 13,350
Apr 17, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #5,079 of 13,350
Hey guys,

I recently received a pair of HE-500s and paired them with a magni and modi. It sounds okay but I think I'd like to step it up to one of the other, more powerful schiit offerings. Any suggestions? DAC or amp.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #5,081 of 13,350
I suggest the Vali. Good with he-500, better than the magni imo

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #5,082 of 13,350
Hey guys,

I recently received a pair of HE-500s and paired them with a magni and modi. It sounds okay but I think I'd like to step it up to one of the other, more powerful schiit offerings. Any suggestions? DAC or amp.

here we go with all the "buy a Lyr" replies and +1s.   
biggrin.gif

I'll condense my findings with HE-500, as I owned Bifrost Uber, Asgard2, Lyr.  still own Vali.

1.  Bifrost Uber was superb under all set ups, might be slightly overpriced if all you need is USB from computer and want to stay on budget?

2.  Lyr sounded "the best" but only after spending $ to try and find the "right tubes" for musical preference.
even then, presentation sounded a bit "farther back" spatially, a tad of low hum in the background if you really cranked volume.
was Lyr+tubes "worth" twice the cost of Asgard2.   not for me.

3.  Asgard2.  Been out of my hands for awhile, had no real complaints with the HE-500 pairing.  music was a bit "closer" spatially than Lyr, great detail, speed, cleanest background.  rarely could/would crank volume past 12.

4. HE-500 into Vali now, perhaps not the best bass tightness.  but clarity, musical details and soundstage all are good.
not the ideal pairing perhaps, and a mW downgrade from your Magni.   

sorry for no clear vote as my ears won't match yours, hope you can demo another fine schiit product.

Here come the Emotiva-X amp fans next....  
wink_face.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #5,083 of 13,350
here we go with all the "buy a Lyr" replies and +1s.   :D
I'll condense my findings with HE-500, as I owned Bifrost Uber, Asgard2, Lyr.  still own Vali.

1.  Bifrost Uber was superb under all set ups, might be slightly overpriced if all you need is USB from computer and want to stay on budget?

2.  Lyr sounded "the best" but only after spending $ to try and find the "right tubes" for musical preference.
even then, presentation sounded a bit "farther back" spatially, a tad of low hum in the background if you really cranked volume.
was Lyr+tubes "worth" twice the cost of Asgard2.   not for me.

3.  Asgard2.  Been out of my hands for awhile, had no real complaints with the HE-500 pairing.  music was a bit "closer" spatially than Lyr, great detail, speed, cleanest background.  rarely could/would crank volume past 12.

4. HE-500 into Vali now, perhaps not the best bass tightness.  but clarity, musical details and soundstage all are good.
not the ideal pairing perhaps, and a mW downgrade from your Magni.   

sorry for no clear vote as my ears won't match yours, hope you can demo another fine schiit product.

Here come the Emotiva-X amp fans next....  
:wink_face:

Appreciate the detailed response. Right now I'm leaning towards the Asgard. Deciding whether or not it's worth the price upgrading the modi to a bifrost or just keeping the modi.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #5,085 of 13,350
Note:  in another thread, minutes ago, Jason of Schiit hinted at a cheaper-than-BiFrost DAC with optical input.
don't know if that means it's a "Modi+optical"  or a new mini-Bifrost Uber with USB and optical" ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back