Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #4,936 of 13,350

LOL. I'm talking about the Gungnir bud - and specifically about its application as an HD800 DAC.

I actually rate the MJ as a fine amp for the HD800. I find it telling that people who dismiss the MJ as a good amp for the HD800 (particularly for the price) mention it in the same breath as the Gungnir. As if the two are inseparable. A lot of assumptions are made about the MJ IMO.

If you did mean the Gungnir - well, I'm hardly a lone voice in expressing this opinion. Again, this is specifically for the HD800. I know of many experienced HD800 owners who've come to the same conclusion.

My bad so sorry ......

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #4,937 of 13,350

LOL. I'm talking about the Gungnir bud - and specifically about its application as an HD800 DAC.

I actually rate the MJ as a fine amp for the HD800. I find it telling that people who dismiss the MJ as a good amp for the HD800 (particularly for the price) mention it in the same breath as the Gungnir. As if the two are inseparable. A lot of assumptions are made about the MJ IMO.

If you did mean the Gungnir - well, I'm hardly a lone voice in expressing this opinion. Again, this is specifically for the HD800. I know of many experienced HD800 owners who've come to the same conclusion.

What DAC did/do you find when paired with the Mojo does the HD800 ample justice ? I ask since I currently own all 3 - the Gungnir, the Mojo and the 800.  Thanks.

This exact chain -

MBP with Audirvana+ (extreme priority) > HDMI > NAD M51 (firmware 1.39) > BJC Belden 1800F XLR > MJ (after sufficient warm up) > Q audio balanced cable > HD800 (not modded)

The software and its settings play a key role in my system. As does the M51's firmware and the use of HDMI. The XLR cable type not so much. I only mention it as I've read M51 "impressions" from those who've quickly auditioned through RCA and were left questioning the hype. There's a significant difference between balanced and single ended through the M51 and its hardware implementation supports that.

Also, I've owned and lived with all these components too. I know there are varying degrees to which people perceive differences - not to mention the different points at which individuals justify an expense. Quick auditions are unreliable IMO, particularly when you're at this level of performance. So yes, the Gungnir is a great component (especially for the price). But for me the M51 was better in every way. Smoother, more refined, detailed and natural. It kinda disappears, unlike the Gungnir which constantly demanded my attention.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #4,938 of 13,350
Curious if you've heard the HD800 with anything other than the Lyr. The Lyr is a wonderful amp for the LCD-2 in the way it grips that headphone and conveys an engaging and full bodied presentation. Unfortunately detail retrieval isn't a strength and the HD800 is stifled irrespective of tube choice. For me the best Lyr tubes for resolution were the fabled Lorenz Stuttgarts. I just found them less dynamic than other tubes I had on hand at the time. 60's Amperex Bugle Boys struck the best balance. I had some cryo-treated 6N23P's that were ok. Can't recall what they were exactly though.

Other than the Lyr, I've auditioned the HD800 with a Burson Conductor, and a Modi+Magni combo as well, although it all happened at different times. I suppose they're all different beasts, so it is a little difficult to directly compare them. The Conductor was certainly very impressive, esp in terms of smoothness and detail retrieval. But it is hard for me to compare that experience with the Lyr + HD800 since there is quite a time gap between the two.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #4,939 of 13,350
  What DAC did/do you find when paired with the Mojo does the HD800 ample justice ? I ask since I currently own all 3 - the Gungnir, the Mojo and the 800.  Thanks.

+1? If you see what I mean? I would like to see kothganesh's question answered, olor1n (and Maxvla). Also, are you unhappy with the Gung/Mojo/800 combination, kothganesh?

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #4,940 of 13,350
Just got my Magni and Modi stack and my cans are DT 990 Pro, enjoying the sound of it!!

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #4,941 of 13,350
+1? If you see what I mean? I would like to see kothganesh's question answered, olor1n (and Maxvla). Also, are you unhappy with the Gung/Mojo/800 combination, kothganesh?

The 800 was a very recent purchase and I am waiting for the balanced cable I bought off a Head-fi'er two weeks ago. I will post impressions after I get the cable. In the meanwhile I am listening to the 800 with the Bifrost Uber and the EC Zana Deux.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #4,942 of 13,350
I am currently using a pair of HD800 with the Lyr (and Bifrost), and I will say that with the stock Lyr tubes (GE 6BZ7), the treble is a little overemphasized, and the mid and bass are a little weak. Everything else with this combo is great.

With a set of Voskhod 6N23P, however, all I can say is holy @#$*)$#@($!!!
biggrin.gif
The Voskhods really bring out the mids and bass from the music, and it also tames the treble overemphasis without losing any detail. I am really enjoying this combo (Bifrost + Lyr + Voskhod 6N23P + HD800) right now. It is like having an eargasm every time I listen to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny you mention the Voskhod's.  I'm running the Uberfrost/Lyr combo with the HiFiman HE-500's (not the HD800's), but I also found the stock Lyr tubes way too bright.  The treble was cracking uncomfortably in my ear, while the mids and lows didn't have enough "oomph".  Same as what you were experiencing.

My first replacement tubes were a pair of Matsush*ta E8CC/6922's, and they sound WONDERFUL.  Balanced from top to bottom.

However, the same day I ordered the Matsu's I also ordered a pair of Voshkod Rocket IV-1980's.  They took a while to get here, but after plugging them in, I find that they're somewhere in-between the stocks and the Matsu's.  The Voshkod's bring up the mids and lows, but retain the crack of the high's that I didn't like in the stock tubes.  For my money, the Matsu's have it over both the stock and Voshkod tubes.

I'd still take the Voshkod's over the stock tubes, but the Matsu's win easily.  YMMV of course!

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #4,943 of 13,350
Funny you mention the Voskhod's.  I'm running the Uberfrost/Lyr combo with the HiFiman HE-500's (not the HD800's), but I also found the stock Lyr tubes way too bright.  The treble was cracking uncomfortably in my ear, while the mids and lows didn't have enough "oomph".  Same as what you were experiencing.

My first replacement tubes were a pair of Matsush*ta E8CC/6922's, and they sound WONDERFUL.  Balanced from top to bottom.

However, the same day I ordered the Matsu's I also ordered a pair of Voshkod Rocket IV-1980's.  They took a while to get here, but after plugging them in, I find that they're somewhere in-between the stocks and the Matsu's.  The Voshkod's bring up the mids and lows, but retain the crack of the high's that I didn't like in the stock tubes.  For my money, the Matsu's have it over both the stock and Voshkod tubes.

I'd still take the Voshkod's over the stock tubes, but the Matsu's win easily.  YMMV of course!

I should really start a bit of rolling on my Lyr.

FWIW though, I still run the Lyr with the stock GE tubes and I love it with the HE500's. The original Bifrost serves me well via the optical input so I haven't felt the need to go gen 2 USB. I might go uber analog in the future though.

From what i've read, orange glbes, matsu****as and voshkods are very much recommended. Sigh....the perils of this hobby.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #4,944 of 13,350
I should really start a bit of rolling on my Lyr.

FWIW though, I still run the Lyr with the stock GE tubes and I love it with the HE500's. The original Bifrost serves me well via the optical input so I haven't felt the need to go gen 2 USB. I might go uber analog in the future though.

From what i've read, orange glbes, matsu****as and voshkods are very much recommended. Sigh....the perils of this hobby.

I know what you mean about the perils of this hobby :)

I'd eventually like to try some Orange Globes, but not until my Matsu's wear out.  The way I figure it, I already love the sound of my Matsu's, and the Voshkod's will be a good replacement someday until I can order some Amperex OG's or find another set of Matsu's.

Then again, enough never seems to be enough when it comes to tube rolling... heh heh

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #4,945 of 13,350
Just got my Magni and Modi stack and my cans are DT 990 Pro, enjoying the sound of it!!

I think the DT990 Pro is an awesome value, gald to hear someone else enjoys it :) I've used it with my Vali/Modi and now use it with my Lyr/Bifrost. Awesome sauce is my expression. Much more mid and high frequency response compared to my X1s, and honestly the bass FR is good, well defined and fairly deep.

In regards to tube rolling with the Lyr, I've used the stock GE tubes and then switched to a matched pair of Aperex Orange Label PQ 6DJ8s. Definietly quality tubes and I could tell slightly more emphasis in bass FR compared to the GE tubes.

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #4,947 of 13,350

Thank you for sharing your experience, Timpicks! While I'm very happy with the Voshkod, you are certainly getting me curious about these Matsushxta E8CC/6922.

Hmm... the perils of this hobby... I should have known better when the forum welcome line is "Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet." :D

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #4,950 of 13,350
X-Sabre for me, M51 for him.

Thanks. I enjoyed reading reviews of those two. I envy you your single block of aluminium and the sound quality, and I envy his HDMI inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back