Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 9, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #4,817 of 13,350
He400, MD 3.2, DT990 Premium 250

Jesus god, no. The HE-400, with its horribly wild and flawed treble, is not going to do well with the A2, a fairly bright amp. It was ok with the Lyr, but nothing really helps that treble.

Mar 9, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #4,818 of 13,350
HE-400 sounds fantastic with Magni.  I'll have my Asgard 2 soon and let you know if it sounds even better with that, but the only reason I am getting Asgard 2 is that it will output to my desktop powered speakers (Audioengine A5+) as well as my headphones.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #4,819 of 13,350
Did anyone here own a Mojo stack and HD650 ever move to an LCD2? If so, what are your thoughts?

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #4,820 of 13,350
  HE-400 sounds fantastic with Magni.  I'll have my Asgard 2 soon and let you know if it sounds even better with that, but the only reason I am getting Asgard 2 is that it will output to my desktop powered speakers (Audioengine A5+) as well as my headphones.

I didn't think they sounded fantastic at all. The Magni is a good amp, but very bright. Paired with the very strident HE-400, that's just a bad combination. I will say the A2 is just a slight bit nicer than the Magni with the HE-400, but still not very good and doesn't relieve the harshness of those flawed highs. If you have an HE-400, you're going to want an amp that's going to help tone down the edge and remove some of that treble distortion. Vali, Valhalla, or Lyr possibly? I wish I was able to try those amps with my HE-400 when I still owned it.

Mar 10, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #4,821 of 13,350
Clearly we differ in our impression. If the fellow asking for advice is like you in that he considers the highs from his HE-400 to be "deeply flawed", then he may want to follow your amp advice, or better yet, sell off his headphones. If like me and many others he thinks the HE-400 sound wonderful, then he'll probably enjoy them with the Magni or Asgard 2.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #4,822 of 13,350
Clearly we differ in our impression. If the fellow asking for advice is like you in that he considers the highs from his HE-400 to be "deeply flawed", then he may want to follow your amp advice, or better yet, sell off his headphones. If like me and many others he thinks the HE-400 sound wonderful, then he'll probably enjoy them with the Magni or Asgard 2.

FWIW, when I owned the 400, I found the best pairing to be with the Lyr.

Mar 11, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #4,823 of 13,350
Looks like some 6 $ eardrops almost completely solved my treble harshness/thin sound/hearing discomfort/fatigue issue.
Seeing my doctor this Friday to check for ear infection/ swimmer's ear/ whatever it is.

That just reminds me... how important our minds and our bodies are in the whole music listening experience.

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #4,824 of 13,350
Looks like some 6 $ eardrops almost completely solved my treble harshness/thin sound/hearing discomfort/fatigue issue.
Seeing my doctor this Friday to check for ear infection/ swimmer's ear/ whatever it is.

That just reminds me... how important our minds and our bodies are in the whole music listening experience.

Funny, had my ears cleaned yesterday evening. Suddenly my ears have become more sensitive and I have actually lowered the volume position on the dial. Spot on, mate.

Mar 12, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #4,825 of 13,350

Funny, had my ears cleaned yesterday evening. Suddenly my ears have become more sensitive and I have actually lowered the volume position on the dial. Spot on, mate.

The first time my ears clogged up with wax was when I was a kid, and I thought I had gone deaf. The doctor did a flush of my ears and good lord... lol. Some folks experience excessive ear wax, and some do not. I have no idea why. Some of us are just lucky I guess
wink.gif

Debrox and Murine both make inexpensive do it yourself cleaning kits. The older I get, the more often I need to use that stuff. But I was relieved to discover this was something I could fix - and not permanent hearing damage.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #4,827 of 13,350
  So Asgard2 is better than Magni and Vali? 

More flexible by way of what headphones you can drive.  The pre-amp function is also handy if you have an amp that you like to use with passive monitors.  I've been experimenting by using a Lyr as a pre-amp with a Pair of Parasound Z-amps Bridged to mono,  to drive a set of Sonus Faber Concertino's with good results.   It's not a replacement for buying a good pre, but it's a nice option to allow it to be used in that capacity if needed or.. just for craps and giggles.   

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #4,828 of 13,350
  More flexible by way of what headphones you can drive.  The pre-amp function is also handy if you have an amp that you like to use with passive monitors.  I've been experimenting by using a Lyr as a pre-amp with a Pair of Parasound Z-amps Bridged to mono,  to drive a set of Sonus Faber Concertino's with good results.   It's not a replacement for buying a good pre, but it's a nice option to allow it to be used in that capacity if needed or.. just for Schiits and giggles.   

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back