Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #4,801 of 13,350
I had that combo for a couple years and it wasn't noisey unless paired with unusually noises tubes

I don't hear any noise with my HD800.  

The T5p is noisy with cheap tubes and dead quiet with my good tubes.

i can second the results given here, never noticed and noise with grado's either, unless it was the tube

Well, in that case, I think I'm settled on a pair of LCD-2's and a Lyr to compliment my Asgard 2 and PS500's! Thanks everyone.

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #4,802 of 13,350
Can anyone shed some light on what improvements I will hear from upgrading from a magni to an asgard 2. Or from a magni to a lyr (stock tubes for now) using an he500? Interested to hear from those who actually upgraded or own the magni asgard 2 and lyr. Planning to get a bifrost Uber too to replace my modi but more curious on the changes the amp will bring.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #4,803 of 13,350
Can anyone shed some light on what improvements I will hear from upgrading from a magni to an asgard 2. Or from a magni to a lyr (stock tubes for now) using an he500? Interested to hear from those who actually upgraded or own the magni asgard 2 and lyr. Planning to get a bifrost Uber too to replace my modi but more curious on the changes the amp will bring.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Not sure about the HE-500 specifically, but at the headfi meet in Austin back in January, I got to listen to the Magni and the Asgard 2 back to back. The Asgard 2 is definitely a cleaner and fuller sound on both of my Grados that I brought. I think it's worth the extra $150, definitely.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4,804 of 13,350
I'm the proud owner of a Lyr/Uberfrost and HE-500's, so I can tell you what that combo sounds like.  I haven't, however, listened to the Asgard 2 so I can't give you an A/B.  

But I can say that the Lyr is going to last me virtually forever with the 6W per channel output.  Hard to imagine ever needing more power.  As for the sound, both my Lyr and my HE-500's are still breaking in (roughly 50 hours), but the sound is what I'd call 'tight'.  Everything sounds punchy and fast and clean.  At first it seemed almost too bright, but I'm noticing now that the low-end is coming around nicely.  It's a very, very balanced, "reference" sound.  But then again, that's what the HE-500's are known for.  

I'm about to do some tube rolling, which is also a huge advantage the Lyr has over the Asgard.  With the Lyr you get multiple amps - just stick in new tubes!  So that's something to think about.

Also, I think you'll find this article very interesting.  It's a comparison of three Schiit amps - and you might be surprised at the winner!

http://www.headfonia.com/triple-schiit-asgaard-valhalla-and-lyr/

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #4,805 of 13,350
Haven't tried an Asgard or Asgard 2 myself, but when I upgrade from the Magni to Lyr (with stock tubes), I did some straight A-to-B comparisons using the same DAC to drive the amps. My biggest takeaway from the amp upgrade was the richer, fuller, and more mellow sound from the Lyr. The soundstage became a lot more spacious, and the resulting separation of instruments was incredible. With the Beyer DT880, the Lyr was also not as bright as the Magni, and I appreciated that.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #4,809 of 13,350
Has anyone compared the Asgard 2 to the Vali? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

I too am interested in this!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite/4725#post_10329891

I found that they sounded identical. Maybe the headphones are a bottleneck, not sure.

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #4,811 of 13,350
http://www.head-fi.org/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite/4725#post_10329891

I found that they sounded identical. Maybe the headphones are a bottleneck, not sure.

Hmmm... so it seems like you should get the Asgard 2 over the Vali only if you are interested in the pre-amp function, or want the longevity of all solid state.

Edit: I guess the Asgard will work with more phones than the Vali due to the lower noise floor, too.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #4,815 of 13,350
So Asgard2 is better than Magni and Vali? 

Depends on the cans and what kind of signature you're looking for. What are you looking to pair them with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back