Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #4,351 of 13,350

What?? 
basshead.gif

I have Fidelio X1 (30ohm) and just ordered Magni&Modi, will it be too powerful for X1 then?

I don't think so. You just won't have to turn the volume knob as much.

I keep reading comments regarding powerful amplifiers used with "easy-to-drive" headphones. Is there something about this combination that is bad? I get that it seems like overkill when amps like the Lyr can push 6W into 32ohms but does it matter? The easy-to-drive headphones I use sound better to me with the Lyr, plus I have an amplifier that can be used with planar and high-impedance headphones if I choose to grab some later. I'm curious and trying to keep an open mind even if I think I know everything sometimes
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #4,352 of 13,350

I keep reading comments regarding powerful amplifiers used with "easy-to-drive" headphones. Is there something about this combination that is bad? I get that it seems like overkill when amps like the Lyr can push 6W into 32ohms but does it matter? The easy-to-drive headphones I use sound better to me with the Lyr, plus I have an amplifier that can be used with planar and high-impedance headphones if I choose to grab some later. I'm curious and trying to keep an open mind even if I think I know everything sometimes
wink.gif

I actually think that it's the sensitivity that matters more, rather than the impedance. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #4,353 of 13,350
My money is on the PC having a defect that is causing noise on its ground. a USB isolator can probably help with this, The best thing is to solve the problem at the core. It could be, the computer's  PSU, internal wiring, power cord or even your power strip, etc. It is possible that a ground loop is formed between the PC and your amp, with the Modi acting as one of the ground paths. If you have one, try a portable battery powered amp to check on this, Is your amp plugged into the same power strip / plug? This kind of stuff can drive you mad.

The pc is custom built and the parts art all pretty high end as far as the motherboard and psu. Unfortunately I only don't have a battery amp to test. I think I'll try a USB isolator see if I can resolve the issue that way. Thanks for all your input :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #4,354 of 13,350

wink.gif

If the amount of power the amp can provide exceeds the peak power requirements or headroom of a headphone based upon its sensitivity there is nothing to be gained only money to be spent. 300 Ohm cans usually don't require 660mW that the Lyr provides either, they need more voltage swing to reach modest power levels than low impedance cans. The Asgard 2 provides more than enough juice at 300 Ohms for almost anything and at 1W can drive many Planars just fine. You planning on an HE-6? If so the Lyr is a great choice.
Now if you have a personal preference for the additional even order harmonic distortion (warm sound) that tube amps add, then that's another story. Again if you don't need 6W then a Lyr isn't an absolute either, but it is a good value proposition as typical with Schiit.
If one doesn't need the extra power, they might consider putting the cost difference into cans.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #4,355 of 13,350
  If the amount of power the amp can provide exceeds the peak power requirements or headroom of a headphone based upon its sensitivity there is nothing to be gained only money to be spent. 300 Ohm cans usually don't require 660mW that the Lyr provides either, they need more voltage swing to reach modest power levels than low impedance cans. The Asgard 2 provides more than enough juice at 300 Ohms for almost anything and at 1W can drive many Planars just fine. You planning on an HE-6? If so the Lyr is a great choice.
Now if you have a personal preference for the additional even order harmonic distortion (warm sound) that tube amps add, then that's another story. Again if you don't need 6W then a Lyr isn't an absolute either, but it is a good value proposition as typical with Schiit.
If one doesn't need the extra power, they might consider putting the cost difference into cans.

This makes sense to me, thank you for explaining. I will say that I really enjoy the warm sound from the Lyr, and I will read up on even order harmonic distortion, as you got my curiosity up.

I guess its worth spending more money on different cans rather than a slew of amplifiers and DACs. I really like Schiit as a company and the value of their products. I'm happy with the two stacks of Schiit I have so I will focus on trying different headphones. I'm looking forward to this chance when I go to a Head-Fi meet-up soon.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #4,356 of 13,350
  This makes sense to me, thank you for explaining. I will say that I really enjoy the warm sound from the Lyr, and I will read up on even order harmonic distortion, as you got my curiosity up.

I guess its worth spending more money on different cans rather than a slew of amplifiers and DACs. I really like Schiit as a company and the value of their products. I'm happy with the two stacks of Schiit I have so I will focus on trying different headphones. I'm looking forward to this chance when I go to a Head-Fi meet-up soon.

I think that once you have a decent electronics chain you will get more pleasure from cans and IEM's. You might want to listen to Planar Magnetics (Orthodynamic) cans, but hold onto your wallet.
Of the cans/IEMs I see listed in your signature, which do you like the best?
Philips Fidelio X1 | Ultrasone DJ1-Pro | Grado SR-60 | Sony MDR-10R | Sony XBA-1

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #4,357 of 13,350
I think that once you have a decent electronics chain you will get more pleasure from cans and IEM's. You might want to listen to Planar Magnetics (Orthodynamic) cans, but hold onto your wallet.
Of the cans/IEMs I see listed in your signature, which do you like the best?
[COLOR=6A6A6A]Philips Fidelio X1 | Ultrasone DJ1-Pro | Grado SR-60 | Sony MDR-10R | Sony XBA-1[/COLOR]
So far definitely the Philips X1s. I really enjoy the openess of the cans and the bass it produces when listening to EDM and Jazz. I would describe them as rich and dynamic. Great value IMO.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4,358 of 13,350
So far definitely the Philips X1s. I really enjoy the openess of the cans and the bass it produces when listening to EDM and Jazz. I would describe them as rich and dynamic. Great value IMO.

Looking at the list, somehow I knew you were going to say that. The X1's are a good set. I have a pair of XBA-3's that I use when commuting, a little too much treble but not peaky, good bass and they sound great but need a touch of amping because the impedance is a bit lower than most IEMs, How do you like your XBA's? 

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4,359 of 13,350
  Looking at the list, somehow I knew you were going to say that. The X1's are a good set. I have a pair of XBA-3's that I use when commuting, a little too much treble but not peaky, good bass and they sound great but need a touch of amping because the impedance is a bit lower than most IEMs, How do you like your XBA's? 

I used to use my XBA's quite a bit, especially when I went overseas. They are good for the money but compared to the rest of my cans, they are decent. Bass doesn't have much extension but I think they have great clarity and the particular Sony sound signature that I've noticed with their headphones (less midrange). I've heard the XBA-3s were the preferred choice out of the series.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #4,361 of 13,350

I used to use my XBA's quite a bit, especially when I went overseas. They are good for the money but compared to the rest of my cans, they are decent. Bass doesn't have much extension but I think they have great clarity and the particular Sony sound signature that I've noticed with their headphones (less midrange). I've heard the XBA-3s were the preferred choice out of the series.

Yeah, I originally got the XBA-4's and returned them and swapped for the XBA-3's. I don't know if you can still find the 3's but the price really dropped on them not so long ago, must be the newer models coming in.
Do you think the MDR-10R's really reach the rock bottom FR of bass? The X1's probably reach lower.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #4,362 of 13,350
  Yeah, I originally got the XBA-4's and returned them and swapped for the XBA-3's. I don't know if you can still find the 3's but the price really dropped on them not so long ago, must be the newer models coming in.
Do you think the MDR-10R's really reach the rock bottom FR of bass? The X1's probably reach lower.

The X1s definitely reach lower than the MDR-10Rs, this is especially noticeable when I listen to dubstep. I found that the MDR-10R's bass is more... bloated with EDM, not nearly as controlled as the X1s. However, I find myself listening to Jazz on the MDR-10Rs more and I especially enjoyed listening to them with the Vali over the Lyr. It's something about the mid-bass that I like when listening to Jazz. Not bad at all for $99.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #4,363 of 13,350

The X1s definitely reach lower than the MDR-10Rs, this is especially noticeable when I listen to dubstep. I found that the MDR-10R's bass is more... bloated with EDM, not nearly as controlled as the X1s. However, I find myself listening to Jazz on the MDR-10Rs more and I especially enjoyed listening to them with the Vali over the Lyr. It's something about the mid-bass that I like when listening to Jazz. Not bad at all for $99.

I listen to a lot of Fusion and Contemporary Electric Jazz, not the atonal stuff where you start to wonder if the band members are aware that they are in the same room - lol. I think that I'd prefer the X1's for that. I tried the MDR-1Rs last year and returned them because although Sony stated that they went down to 4 Hz, their legal Dept. told them not to say how man dB down it would be at 4 Hz,
I picked up a Vali because at $100, I figured what have I got to lose. It ended up to be a pleasant surprise. I like they way they work with my HD600's and use it in my den when I work at home.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #4,364 of 13,350
  I listen to a lot of Fusion and Contemporary Electric Jazz, not the atonal stuff where you start to wonder if the band members are aware that they are in the same room - lol. I think that I'd prefer the X1's for that. I tried the MDR-1Rs last year and returned them because although Sony stated that they went down to 4 Hz, their legal Dept. told them not to say how man dB down it would be at 4 Hz. I have an old pair of MDR-V900's that I got in 1998 and they really reach down low.
I picked up a Vali because at $100, I figured what have I got to lose. It ended up to be a pleasant surprise. I like they way they work with my HD600's and use it in my den when I work at home.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,365 of 13,350

I think I just have sensitive ears.  I had someone else try my setup and they put the volume at ~ 11:00 or higher.

Magni is designed as an all-rounder to work with almost any headphone, I think you'll be fine.

Heh same here. I have my HD600s plugged into the Vali and listen at around 8 o'clock. Any louder and it will start getting uncomfortable.

I think StanD mentioned a few pages back that he has his Vali at the 10 - 11 o'clock position. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back