Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 10, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4,186 of 13,350
  well... let's take battlefield 4 for instance. when I shoot RPG rockets... It's so loud.. but while choosing a spawn point... it's way lower than before.. and I think foot steps are gone now. Can't hear people coming to stab me in the back 
biggrin.gif

Maybe the headphones can't cope with the stack ?!!

What is the better ? turning the AMP volume to max and reduce sound on PC ? or raise PC to max and AMP to 50% ? or combination between both ?!

Well yeah, your sound card is built to do 3d positional sound processing.  In other words, trick your ears into thinking sound is behind/above/in front of you in games. Magni/Modi should be better for music and movies, keep the sound card for games IMO.

And the general rule is to always have your computers' output at 100% and then adjust the amplifier volume for best quality, but you can do a combination and likely won't notice a difference.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #4,187 of 13,350
  well... let's take battlefield 4 for instance. when I shoot RPG rockets... It's so loud.. but while choosing a spawn point... it's way lower than before.. and I think foot steps are gone now. Can't hear people coming to stab me in the back 
biggrin.gif

What is the better ? turning the AMP volume to max and reduce sound on PC ? or raise PC to max and AMP to 50% ? or combination between both ?!

i play cs:go using the the same stack w akg 702-65. i can hear footsteps clearly and haven't had any issues. for the PC side of things i set it to max and adjust on the amp as needed.

i dunno if there were some software settings for the sound blaster that would amplify certain sounds on games. just make sure your audio settings are set to headphones in game. for windows i have it set to 24/44.1hz and disabled all enhancements.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #4,188 of 13,350
Thanks guys for your reply. For the time being, I will be removing the sound card... as the main reason I got the AMP/DAC was to remove the sound card as it ruins the inside of the PC.

Here's my I want to remove it. Covering those custom made backplates :)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d139/shi7aa/IMG_0998_zpse2d2e6fd.jpg

For Audio Playback, I noticed it is same or better. But for games, the sound card definitely wins. maybe because of all the special SBX software that comes with the sound card.

I will consider buying a better headphones... Maybe Philips fidelio X1 or better.

Thanks for the Tips guys :) 

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #4,189 of 13,350
well... let's take battlefield 4 for instance. when I shoot RPG rockets... It's so loud.. but while choosing a spawn point... it's way lower than before.. and I think foot steps are gone now. Can't hear people coming to stab me in the back :D   

pc max. control via amp

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #4,191 of 13,350
To Gungnir or not to Gungnir? Every day my Lyr looks at me and gestures at the DAC beside it, looking reproachful. "I came all the way over an ocean to bring you the gift of music, and look what you hooked me up with!" That what it says. I am in a quandary. Light tubes for me.
confused_face(1).gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #4,192 of 13,350
get a bifrost and call it a day

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #4,194 of 13,350
Having only owned solid-state amps for years I finally took the plunge and ordered a Valhalla -- seemed like it was in-stock when I ordered but it's apparently backordered until 02/21. Looking forward to it though, my T90 should be a good match.

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #4,195 of 13,350
  Having only owned solid-state amps for years I finally took the plunge and ordered a Valhalla -- seemed like it was in-stock when I ordered but it's apparently backordered until 02/21. Looking forward to it though, my T90 should be a good match.

I heard that exact combination (Valhalla and T90) at a recent meet and it is a very good match. You are in for a treat.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #4,196 of 13,350
  To Gungnir or not to Gungnir? Every day my Lyr looks at me and gestures at the DAC beside it, looking reproachful. "I came all the way over an ocean to bring you the gift of music, and look what you hooked me up with!" That what it says. I am in a quandary. Light tubes for me.
confused_face(1).gif

So your equipment is talking to each other these days huh ? Get the Bifrost or the Uber and the Lyr will grin. Get the Gungnir and who knows, the Lyr may hug you. Please send some pictures if these things happen 
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #4,197 of 13,350
To Gungnir or not to Gungnir? Every day my Lyr looks at me and gestures at the DAC beside it, looking reproachful. "I came all the way over an ocean to bring you the gift of music, and look what you hooked me up with!" That what it says. I am in a quandary. Light tubes for me. :confused_face(1):

The Gungnir isn't a great match for the HD800 IME. Skim through this thread for impressions from myself and others.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #4,198 of 13,350
The Gungnir isn't a great match for the HD800 IME. Skim through this thread for impressions from myself and others.

Thanks for that. Too late! I have ordered it, but I did read the thread carefully and noted reservations about the HD800 and its compatibility with the Gungnir. Basically, the verdict seemed to be Mjolnir yes, Gungnir not so much. I am gambling on the Lyr, carefully tubed, softening the slightly strident effect that some people find with the Gungnir/HD800 combo. Not to mention my 61-year-old ears. Also, I have three locations for which to provide a headphone station, so I have some flexibility about combinations of equipment.

I would also like to make it clear that the fact that the Gungnir is drop-dead gorgeous played no part in my decision. None whatever. No. On no account. Er...
wink_face.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #4,199 of 13,350
So I've owned my Magni and Modi combo for about a month now, and I have to say that I just adore it. Really looking to get some higher impedance cans to try with this combo, maybe the HD650's.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #4,200 of 13,350

Thanks for that. Too late! I have ordered it, but I did read the thread carefully and noted reservations about the HD800 and its compatibility with the Gungnir. Basically, the verdict seemed to be Mjolnir yes, Gungnir not so much. I am gambling on the Lyr, carefully tubed, softening the slightly strident effect that some people find with the Gungnir/HD800 combo. Not to mention my 61-year-old ears. Also, I have three locations for which to provide a headphone station, so I have some flexibility about combinations of equipment.

I would also like to make it clear that the fact that the Gungnir is drop-dead gorgeous played no part in my decision. None whatever. No. On no account. Er...
wink_face.gif

The Lyr was my amp before the Mjolnir. It was still in the stable when I owned the Gungnir so I have lived with the system you are now putting together. I'd recommend rolling some Amperex Bugle Boys (60's Herleen factory O-getters) to dial in some surprising synergy with the HD800. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back