Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #4,141 of 13,350
Simple and to the point question. I am looking at getting one of two phones, either HD700 or HD800. Question is, how will these sound out of the Lyr. I thought of getting some other Schiit amp, Valhalla or A2 but I am kind of looking more at the Lyr for two reasons. One is it's versatility being able to competently drive a wide variety of phones and the other is while it is a hybrid, I do prefer tube amps. So, given those phones, good choice? Any other options in the $400-$600 range. A bit later I do plan on getting a Vali but concentrating on my main system for now. It shouldn't make any difference but I will also be getting a Bifrost Uber for the front end of whatever amp I end up getting.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #4,142 of 13,350
Sounds like you made a good choice. Head over to the HD 700 thread and throw in your thoughts after you've gotten it all together. Would love to read them.

Rogue I setup the Vali/ Modi combo and posted my initial thoughts in the NEW Vali Schiit AMP thread.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #4,143 of 13,350
Got my Vali/Modi today so now is as good a time as any to stop lurking ; Now I can be an official Schiit-Head.

First thing I did with Vali was plug my hd600's into it and whack it.  I have to tap it pretty good or turn volume all the way to 0 so it "hits" the 0 spot to get an microphonics.

Had some white noise from modi which was fixed (? hopefully) by turning off the pesky "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power".

So far loving the combo, I can't believe how much of the music I was missing with my HD439's and this guy:
1183928741_203561583_o.jpg

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4,144 of 13,350
  Hey guys, I currently have Asgard 1 and HRT music streamer II (DAC). I feel like upgrading. I think I'll definitely upgrade my HRT to a Bifrost, but I don't know what to upgrade my Asgard 1 to. I don't know if I want to get a Lyr, I've never used a tube amp and it seems like dealing with them is a huge hassle. Is Asgard 2 a reasonable step up from Asgard 1? I currently have HD600s... and might get HE400s soon. Any suggestions?

Any help?

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #4,147 of 13,350
Simple and to the point question. I am looking at getting one of two phones, either HD700 or HD800. Question is, how will these sound out of the Lyr. I thought of getting some other Schiit amp, Valhalla or A2 but I am kind of looking more at the Lyr for two reasons. One is it's versatility being able to competently drive a wide variety of phones and the other is while it is a hybrid, I do prefer tube amps. So, given those phones, good choice? Any other options in the $400-$600 range. A bit later I do plan on getting a Vali but concentrating on my main system for now. It shouldn't make any difference but I will also be getting a Bifrost Uber for the front end of whatever amp I end up getting.

If you read the HD 700 thread, you'll see a lot of happy people using the Lyr with Orange Globe tubes. Go for the Lyr.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #4,148 of 13,350
Feb 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #4,150 of 13,350

Haha, really? Awful? I guess I have been seeing more and more complaints regarding it; sibilance, faulty cables, etc.

Are you using stock tubes for the Lyr when pairing with HD600s?

I'm using stock tubes with my Lyr 600 combo and it sounds great.  The tube rolling thread has lots of recommendations though.  I have hundreds of hours on both of my sets of tubes.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #4,151 of 13,350
  Got my Vali/Modi today so now is as good a time as any to stop lurking ; Now I can be an official Schiit-Head.

First thing I did with Vali was plug my hd600's into it and whack it.  I have to tap it pretty good or turn volume all the way to 0 so it "hits" the 0 spot to get an microphonics.

Had some white noise from modi which was fixed (? hopefully) by turning off the pesky "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power".

Welcome to the club
beerchug.gif

I remain curious as to why the first thing people do with their Vali's is to hit it. "Yep, it rings!" LOL.

I don't know why you'd need to let windows turn off your Modi. I've never seen that. I have my Modi plugged into my laptop constantly, whether it is being used or not. It doesn't make a difference at all. And it's plugged into a 4-way USB hub. No issues with that at all. You may want to check your cable(s). There should be no noise coming from your Modi at all.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #4,152 of 13,350
Tried the amp away from the monitor as well unplugging my wifi router and it didn't help.

Hey FrZ, sounds like a really annoying problem. Did you also try taking your Modi out to the other computer? If not, try that, or completely bypassing the Modi. That could be the issue. I had a problem with a Modi recently but it wasn't a ringing sound, so it doesn't sound like the same problem. The issue on mine was noise in the right ear even when no audio was playing.

Ever since I got my replacement Modi yesterday, I'm honestly scared to use it, like it has a very limited number of hours on it before it goes bad like the last one :p, but it will probably end up lasting 10+ years. Oh well, time to tough it out and get back to some music!

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #4,153 of 13,350
Hey FrZ, sounds like a really annoying problem. Did you also try taking your Modi out to the other computer? If not, try that, or completely bypassing the Modi. That could be the issue. I had a problem with a Modi recently but it wasn't a ringing sound, so it doesn't sound like the same problem. The issue on mine was noise in the right ear even when no audio was playing.

Ever since I got my replacement Modi yesterday, I'm honestly scared to use it, like it has a very limited number of hours on it before it goes bad like the last one :p, but it will probably end up lasting 10+ years. Oh well, time to tough it out and get back to some music!

I used a laptop and took the modi and Valhalla to another room yesterday, it was working perfect. That's why I'm trying to pinpoint the problem in the room I want to keep them in. My modi is only a week old though. How did yours break?

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #4,154 of 13,350
  I'm using stock tubes with my Lyr 600 combo and it sounds great.  The tube rolling thread has lots of recommendations though.  I have hundreds of hours on both of my sets of tubes.

Thanks! After a lot of scouring through the forums and thought... I think I may just hop over and go for Mjolnir + Gungnir. I don't think I will be able to deal with the option paralysis the tubes will give me lol. I'm also looking at LCD-2 now, rather than HE-400s, and it seems like this setup will serve it better.

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #4,155 of 13,350
  Which amp/dac is the better option?

Schiit Magni+Modi stack vs Fiio E07K+E09K?

I am looking for an amp/dac to pair with my AKG Q701's and both combos are around the same price. Thanks!

I'm currently using the Vali/Modi combo with my AKG's, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome!  I've listened to a friends' Fiio and it also sounded very nice with my AKG's, but I prefer the Vali/Modi combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back