Schiit Owners Unite
Dec 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #3,798 of 13,350
  great picture Tman5293

Beautiful picture. It could be used in a Schiit ad. 

Thanks guys! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #3,802 of 13,350
  I was in a similar position re: Valhalla vs Lyr (plus others, such as Woo, Bottlehead, etc.). I opted for a Lyr for a) ubiquity, b) tube rolling options, c) possible ortho choice down the road and d) resale price, in case I wasn't happy. Oh, and I am totally electronics-blind, so Bottlehead was pretty much out the question. 

Whilst I have never heard a Valhalla, one might argue that tube selection might have a whole bunch to do with timbre and soundstage, though I'll be honest with you, I am not 100% sure what timbre actually is, although I imagine it to be similar to tone? 

Has anyone heard both Valhalla and Lyr with same chain who cares to comment?  

Just re 'timbre'. "If you gotta ask, you ain't got it". Now that response is attributed to three greats, but the earliest is Fats Waller, in response to the question, "What is swing?". I suspect you have timbre, though! It's the echtythingyness of a sound, when a flute sounds like a flute, a voice like a voice, when all the scraping, blowing, howling, breathing mystery of the musical sound hits you not just as pitch and rhythm data, but as the living thing itself, when you can hear the throat of the singer, the rosin on the bow of the string player and every overtone going, not loosely suggested  in the acoustic space but deeply embedded in the sound itself, with every juicy, tingling, vibrant perfection and imperfection uttered, played or heard as itself. That's timbre IMHO, and headphones are where you bet it best IMVVVHO. Sure, you've got it. That's why you are here.

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #3,806 of 13,350

Just re 'timbre'. "If you gotta ask, you ain't got it". Now that response is attributed to three greats, but the earliest is Fats Waller, in response to the question, "What is swing?". I suspect you have timbre, though! It's the echtythingyness of a sound, when a flute sounds like a flute, a voice like a voice, when all the scraping, blowing, howling, breathing mystery of the musical sound hits you not just as pitch and rhythm data, but as the living thing itself, when you can hear the throat of the singer, the rosin on the bow of the string player and every overtone going, not loosely suggested  in the acoustic space but deeply embedded in the sound itself, with every juicy, tingling, vibrant perfection and imperfection uttered, played or heard as itself. That's timbre IMHO, and headphones are where you bet it best IMVVVHO. Sure, you've got it. That's why you are here.

Thank you for that very erudite response :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #3,807 of 13,350

Thank you for that very erudite response :)

Sorry to seem erudite. I'll go and stand in the corner and think about what I have done.
smile_phones.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #3,809 of 13,350
life has tougher choices than deciding which schiit to go for next with a very constrained budget :frowning2: my magni will have to stay longer i guess

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #3,810 of 13,350
Lyr gives you the added bonus of tube rolling. Unfortunately, it gives the added cash burden of being skint for about 6 months, as you scour eBay for everything you have read about in the tube rolling threads. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back