Schiit Owners Unite
Nov 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #3,663 of 13,350
Which way to go...?

Just finished reading the whole Schiit Thread... I have some AKG K712 HP (62 Ohms, 105dB SPL/V per their site), almost all of my mussic is classical from pre-barroque voice only to romantic composers with lots of dynamics and some contemporary stuff... Sometimes some indy thrown in. I have a limited budget and right now I could either :
a) Buy a Lyr/Modi
b) A Vali/Bifrost Uber with USB2
Eventually I would get the Lyr/Bf and Modi/Vali combos complete but not right now... What would be the best choise for now? Is the Lyr apropriate for de k712? I have some hope as I've seen some users have Q701's or so... or should I go for the A2? I like that the Lyr could drive some other headphones in the future and the pre-out, also the tunning via tube rolling, don't know if it will fit this cans; which are going to be there for quite some time...
Hope i can get some help deciding!

Antonio

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #3,664 of 13,350
Which way to go...?

Just finished reading the whole Schiit Thread... I have some AKG K712 HP (62 Ohms, 105dB SPL/V per their site), almost all of my mussic is classical from pre-barroque voice only to romantic composers with lots of dynamics and some contemporary stuff... Sometimes some indy thrown in. I have a limited budget and right now I could either :
a) Buy a Lyr/Modi
Eventually I would get the Lyr/Bf and Modi/Vali combos complete but not right now... What would be the best choise for now? Is the Lyr apropriate for de k712? I have some hope as I've seen some users have Q701's or so... or should I go for the A2? I like that the Lyr could drive some other headphones in the future and the pre-out, also the tunning via tube rolling, don't know if it will fit this cans; which are going to be there for quite some time...

Antonio

I don't know about the Vali but I prefer Bifrost-Uber/Magni over Modi/Asgard 2. I think the Lyr is too much for K712. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #3,665 of 13,350
i had the lyr when i had a pair k701s(yes the ones on the dog) and there were a few tube combos that sounded great with them. i havent followed the k712 thread to know how different they are from the k70x versions but my vote goes to the lyr/modi

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #3,667 of 13,350
Which way to go...?

a) Buy a Lyr/Modi

Antonio

Well, honestly, I like to err on the conservative side. So if it were me, I'd start out with the least expensive "good" setup: The Magni/Modi stack. Or if you prefer tubes, the Vali/Modi stack. That way you're not out a ton of money, while you decide what you like and can afford.

Your suggested combinations of low priced X with high priced Y don't seem to make sense. In other words, stick with two low priced items as I suggested above, instead of mixing an expensive DAC with a cheap amp, or a cheap DAC with an expensive amp. If you want to spend the money, go big to start with. If you're frugal like me, start out small and work your way up.

Honestly, the lowest priced Schiit gear is so damn good, that you really can't go wrong. The next rung up the ladder is only a marginal improvement (if we are to believe all that's posted here).

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #3,668 of 13,350
Which way to go...?

a) Buy a Lyr/Modi

Antonio

I'm on DACPost LX + Magni, with Q701 it seems like a splendid setup that is small

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #3,669 of 13,350
Apreciate the input, maybe if I clarify a bit more of my situation it would help? I already have a good record/cd collection, also have a nice speaker setup with a decent amp (Marantz), SACD and I'm interested in some Channel Records DSD... Due to local circummstances I had to dismount the equipment and "shelve it", so I have a lot of mussic I can't play any more... The logic in getting the lyr is that I can listen to my mussic now and maybe later use it as pre-amp in the marantz, the Bifrost would be usefull also as I'm ripping my CD's to flac. Also I travel so it would be nice having good quality audio on the move... For now I need a solution that let me play my mussic so if I go for the Bifrost/Magni-Vali I would be out of the lyr for a couple of months, but I could listen my mussic again! Also the Lyr/Modi would serve to this end. I'm interested in the statement componets, and trying the lyr/bifrost/modi/Magni-Vali would be a good way to know it this statement gear would be what I want..
So for now, what would be best? having a great DAC with a good amp, or a great amp with a good DAC? I read the reviews at Schiit and at least 3 of them used K70x to test the Lyr, no mention to floor noice or something out of the ordinary, also some users around here use Lyr with said headphones it seems it can work, besides later I could try some other HP (doubt it, so much mussic to buy also..!).

Antonio

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #3,670 of 13,350

Well, honestly, I like to err on the conservative side. So if it were me, I'd start out with the least expensive "good" setup: The Magni/Modi stack. Or if you prefer tubes, the Vali/Modi stack. That way you're not out a ton of money, while you decide what you like and can afford.

Your suggested combinations of low priced X with high priced Y don't seem to make sense. In other words, stick with two low priced items as I suggested above, instead of mixing an expensive DAC with a cheap amp, or a cheap DAC with an expensive amp. If you want to spend the money, go big to start with. If you're frugal like me, start out small and work your way up.

Honestly, the lowest priced Schiit gear is so damn good, that you really can't go wrong. The next rung up the ladder is only a marginal improvement (if we are to believe all that's posted here).

U, have you heard any DAC and AMP in combo? I am wondering why you can recommend something which you have not heard?
In my own experience I hooked up a $3999 DAC, street price about $2500, to a $399. 8 year old portable IEM amp, and thought I was in audio heaven.  When I finally hooked the MOJO in place of that little amp, my system went to the next level.  There are very good reasons why to get a good, quality DAC and not stick to low priced ones which I assume you means $250 and below. IMO, the DAC is more important than the amp.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #3,671 of 13,350
  U, have you heard any DAC and AMP in combo? I am wondering why you can recommend something which you have not heard?
In my own experience I hooked up a $3999 DAC, street price about $2500, to a $399. 8 year old portable IEM amp, and thought I was in audio heaven.  When I finally hooked the MOJO in place of that little amp, my system went to the next level.  There are very good reasons why to get a good, quality DAC and not stick to low priced ones which I assume you means $250 and below. IMO, the DAC is more important than the amp.

+1 on DAC priority.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #3,672 of 13,350
still thinking should i get the modi when i have a dacport LX? stacking it up seems more badass 
beyersmile.png

edit: i think they are the same AKM4396 DAC chip, so might be different in implementation method only

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #3,673 of 13,350

Any DAC and AMP? Yes. A couple of them, to be precise. Here's my own little comparison of the gear I own.

Why can I recommend something I haven't heard? Or perhaps not recommend it? The key phrase in czrtly's post was "I have a limited budget". That's what I noticed. Being the frugal type myself, when presented with indecision, I tend to choose to risk less money, rather than more.

S/he asked, "which way to go?" I offered my opinion. I thought that's what we're here to do.

If the person had an unlimited budget, then the question would not have included the statement "I have a limited budget". Then they have a different decision, which is not impeded by cost. I don't know if I would have responded to that post. But that's a pointless hypothetical argument.

We're also talking about a new member, someone with 2 or 3 posts under their belt. I think it would be rather outrageous to recommend that some new member on a budget spend thousands of dollars on audio gear. What if this person doesn't have the hearing to distinguish the difference between a Modi and a Bifrost? You may take that for granted, but I don't. I recommended beginners gear to a beginner. I see nothing wrong with that.

You want to berate me for having an opinion and expressing it? You have no right to revoke my freedom of speech. The person to whom my opinion was directed, is also entirely free to read it, ignore it, or follow some or all of it. Or none of it. They are also free to read or ignore yours. I won't rob this person of that decision.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #3,674 of 13,350

+1 on DAC priority.

-1 for recommending way too much gear to a beginner, and piling on without offering any pertinent information.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #3,675 of 13,350

-1 for recommending way too much gear to a beginner, and piling on without offering any pertinent information.

Dude... I'm just saying in my personal opinion, I would prioritize DAC over an amp. Your comment here is neither welcome, nor constructive to the cause. Please refrain from posting such things if all you're doing is responding in anger to something another member said. No need to carry it over to attack me.

Let's keep this forum civil people?
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back