Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 3, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #13,111 of 13,350
Hey folks! Tried searching but not having luck. I have a pair of ZMF Auteurs in production right now and am looking to substantiate my source gear.

I’m planning on going with a Bifrost 2 paired with a Valhalla 2. Just curious if any Schiit owners have experience with that particular setup. The other option I was thinking about was the Lyr3 with the multibit module, but think I would rather have my Amp/Dac separated.

I also have my 6XX’s which I have heard are amplified (excuse my pun) by tubes.

I currently have the basic beginner stack Modi/Magni Heresy. Looking forward to seeing if anyone can weigh in!

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #13,112 of 13,350
Hey folks! Tried searching but not having luck. I have a pair of ZMF Auteurs in production right now and am looking to substantiate my source gear.

I’m planning on going with a Bifrost 2 paired with a Valhalla 2. Just curious if any Schiit owners have experience with that particular setup. The other option I was thinking about was the Lyr3 with the multibit module, but think I would rather have my Amp/Dac separated.

I currently have the basic beginner stack Modi/Magni Heresy. Looking forward to seeing if anyone can weigh in!
I don’t have the lyr but from my personal experience the hd6xx do scale with quality amp and powerful amp

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #13,113 of 13,350
I have literally no idea if I've posted in here before, but I guess it can't hurt to post again. Excuse the pictures, they're not glam shots, just pretty functional.

Pictured: Schiit Asgard 2 / Valhalla 2 / Vali 1. (Vali 1 was a repurchase after I regretted selling mine, Asgard 2 was a loan, Valhalla 2 is mine)
Headphones: LCD 3 / LCD 2 / Light Harmonic Oscar XXI IEM
Cables used: mainly Audioquest and Pangea

Schiit Asgard 2.jpgSchiit Valhalla 2.jpgSchiit Vali.jpg

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #13,114 of 13,350
I have literally no idea if I've posted in here before, but I guess it can't hurt to post again. Excuse the pictures, they're not glam shots, just pretty functional.

Pictured: Schiit Asgard 2 / Valhalla 2 / Vali 1. (Vali 1 was a repurchase after I regretted selling mine, Asgard 2 was a loan, Valhalla 2 is mine)
Headphones: LCD 3 / LCD 2 / Light Harmonic Oscar XXI IEM
Cables used: mainly Audioquest and Pangea

Schiit Asgard 2.jpgSchiit Valhalla 2.jpgSchiit Vali.jpg
Do you mind sharing the main differences between the lcd2 and lcd3 from your experiences? Thanks

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #13,115 of 13,350
Do you mind sharing the main differences between the lcd2 and lcd3 from your experiences? Thanks

I would, but as a Member of the Trade, I am not allowed to share publicly any sort of subjective experiences with other companies' products. Thank you for the "like" though, I hope you enjoyed the photos. :)

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #13,116 of 13,350
I would, but as a Member of the Trade, I am not allowed to share publicly any sort of subjective experiences with other companies' products. Thank you for the "like" though, I hope you enjoyed the photos. :)
I understand . Thanks :)

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #13,117 of 13,350
Good afternoon from Bangkok krub

Thank you very much for your explanation krub

Does moving up the ladder of DACs bring a lot of improvements to the sound quality krub?

I felt that for amps it did especially for hard to drive hp.

but I’m wondering if for the case if DACs would it be the same

as I just watched currawong on YouTube talk about bifrost and d90 and he said it’s almost the same as the super Yaddrasil krub

I am currently just using the dac on my daps ak SR15 and cayin N3Pro connected to the amp Asgard 2 and a90 krub.

wondering if getting a bifrost or higher end stand alone dac would improve the sound quality krub lol
Lol! I spent several years in Vientiane growing up, and the krub really shows itself in verbal conversation. I added it for you just because I still carry that polite streak with me. I also went to college with a large thai population, so it has “stuck”. I don’t mean to be flippant or funny at all, and I hope you understand. Khob chai!

so... The place to ‘start‘ is modi multibit, but frankly, Bifrost 2 is the absolute sweet spot in my opinion. You have the option of using balanced or single-ended, and it sounds brilliant either way. I personally use it single-ended and it’s brilliant.

i agree with Currawong, ang Inlike his reviews - but the future-proofing of Bifrost 2 is another plus... I am a firm believer that the sound quality of Bifrost IS WORTH THE MONEY (to my ears) krub.

Should you get it, please let me know what you think. Feel free to
PM me. John

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #13,118 of 13,350
Oct 3, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #13,119 of 13,350
Lol! I spent several years in Vientiane growing up, and the krub really shows itself in verbal conversation. I added it for you just because I still carry that polite streak with me. I also went to college with a large thai population, so it has “stuck”. I don’t mean to be flippant or funny at all, and I hope you understand. Khob chai!

so... The place to ‘start‘ is modi multibit, but frankly, Bifrost 2 is the absolute sweet spot in my opinion. You have the option of using balanced or single-ended, and it sounds brilliant either way. I personally use it single-ended and it’s brilliant.

i agree with Currawong, ang Inlike his reviews - but the future-proofing of Bifrost 2 is another plus... I am a firm believer that the sound quality of Bifrost IS WORTH THE MONEY (to my ears) krub.

Should you get it, please let me know what you think. Feel free to
PM me. John
Thank you very much krub khun Jammin :)

You have very amazing understanding of thailand culture krub.

Thank for your explanation too krub.

Kob Khun Krub 🙏

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #13,120 of 13,350
Oct 4, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #13,121 of 13,350

I've owned the Valhalla 2 before; I actually prefer the Vali 2 to it. The Valhalla has a "bite" or "edge" to the sound and it also puts out quite a bit of heat with the 4 tubes. The Vali 2 in comparison has a more laid-back sound and with only 1 tube doesn't heat up the room.

Oct 4, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #13,122 of 13,350
Would agree with the Asgard 3 as a great starting point...

Had a Bifrost/Valhalla 2 combo when I had a bunch of High-Z Senns and Beyers. As my headphones changed over time, didn't 'need' an OTL amp any more and the hassle of the tube rolling 'chase'. Kept the Bifrost and paired it with the Asgard 3...sounds very nice and drives anything I've got.

In another room's setup, I thought about getting the Lyr 3 route to have some tube 'magic' but decided to try the Cavalli/Drop CTH. It's also very enjoyable and allows for much less tube rolling hassle than the Valhalla 2. Going this route, also allowed me to pick up a set of Amiron Home (for a steal!) -- total for the setup was less than a Lyr 3.

S'pose I may 'upgrade' to the Lyr 3 someday but feel no itch to do so at this point. Would rather spend the $$$ on music. :ksc75smile:

FWIW...in a third room, I've got a Modius / Magnius combo which allows me to play some cans with balanced cables. This combo also sounds very nice especially for the $$$

TBH...over the years, I've really gravitated to a spending priority of music, transducers, electronics.
I'm surprised not to see more mentions of the modius/magnius stack in this thread. I too have this stack and use it balanced only. I think they sound fantastic. That said, I haven't had a lot of high end amps to compare it to.

I'm interested to know what other SS amps the good folks here would recommend I try and why? Without going the tube route for purposeful distortion, I wonder what I would gain if I spent closer to $1000 on an amp. At the moment, I'd be testing the amp with the the ZMF Verite closed, the Focal Elegia and Hifiman Sundara.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #13,123 of 13,350

I have B2/L
Thank you very much krub khun Jammin :)

You have very amazing understanding of thailand culture krub.

Thank for your explanation too krub.

Kob Khun Krub 🙏
it was my pleasure, krub. I don’t know why I didn’t think of the Schiit article. Mike saves the day.

I try to listen more than I talk...

Oct 6, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #13,124 of 13,350
Yggdrasil owner here in Sydney - hope everyone is happy and healthy.

I have been a professional Stand Up for over 40 years and raise a lot of money for kids' charities; we have a very disabled (Tuberous Sclerosis) girl in the family. I only overshare this because a while back, the wife and mother-in-law said 'Rob, spend some money on yourself for once'. Oh yeah!

My first Schiit was the Bifrost 2 and I loved it to bits; such a great DAC. And like a true ex-drunk alcoholic, I immediately thought 'if some is good - more is better' and dashed off an order for an Yggdrasil. Wow. As per Schiit's recommendations, I leave it on and after 3 weeks it just keeps getting better. I have a Marantz CD6006 as transport and an Monolith Alex Cavalli Liquid Gold X and an SPL Phonitor XE as amps and I am super happy. (The Phonitor is the reference Amp but the Cavalli is no shirk at under 1KUSD and has a lovely tone). I don't stream as I have about 10,000 CD's - mainly classical and this set up has changed my life in so far as musical appreciation goes.

My cans are Focal Utopias, LCD-3's, HD650's and 600's (can't bear to part with the old legends). I have hand made interconnects and upgraded Headphone cables also. I am 60 and wanted a system I would not have top upgrade again and the Yggdrasil fits right in and assures me of that. For my age and quality of hearing, this is as good as it gets. :wink:

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back