Schiit Owners Unite
Oct 7, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #11,116 of 13,350
Thank you! Yes that's how I want set it up! Eaither there's a $600 marantz that has only optical in&bout or theres a $1100 that has all 3 inputs&bout (coaxial, optical and usb) would optical audio be the best?

Thank you for your help! And summarizing everything!

Both Optical and Coaxial Are S/PDIF, which stands for Sony/Phillips Digital Interface (Internet Searching is your Friend) but use a different Medium or cable. Optical uses TOSLINK and COAXIAL Uses a well, A coax cable with RCA ends. (A note on this while an RCA cable may work on a coax connection a COAX cable is different that a standard RCA interconnect cable). I'm no Engineer but your output Quality should be the same.

As Far as which cable is better I use both. I like Optical but I work with Fiber all day so I am Biased. But I use COAX on my modi2u and now the Bifrost MB.

If the $600 Marantz Network Player will Output the same as The Coax of the $1100 One. meaning max of say 24/192 . I don't see paying almost double the price for the Coax output unless it had other features that are worth it . Also If you are Talking about the NA8005 ($1100) it Only has Optical and Coax Output.

From Marantz's Website

DIGITAL OUTPUT
Digital Coaxial1

Digital Optical1

DIGITAL INPUT
Digital Coaxial1

Digital Optical1

USB (Front)iPod / iPhone compatible

USB (Rear)Input for PC

OTHER

Need to pay attention to the Input and outputs other wise you will be spending a lot of time trying to make a Circle Fit in a Square Hole

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #11,117 of 13,350
  For airfare or gas money + mileage, and room & board, I will come to any of y'all's homes or businesses to hook up yer schiit.

Rangy is own li'l guy, and has his own demands requirements 
wink.gif

Good, go to the guy's house; I think he's buying equipment randomly so he could channel that into travel expenses for you.  Also bill him for the PTSD counseling you will need right after.

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #11,118 of 13,350
How the fudge can anyone ask so many questions across so many threads and still have no idea what in the flying fudge they're doing at all.

Jesus wept.

It's madness.

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #11,119 of 13,350
For airfare or gas money + mileage, and room & board, I will come to any of y'all's homes or businesses to hook up yer schiit.

Rangy is own li'l guy, and has his own demands requirements :wink:

If I had the money I would gladly fly you to my home and let you check out my stacks of schiit. My spontaneous purchase, this last Friday night has emptied my savings for this year. I need to control my audiophile monkey, before I do something stupid.:)

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #11,120 of 13,350
If I had the money I would gladly fly you to my home and let you check out my stacks of schiit. My spontaneous purchase, this last Friday night has emptied my savings for this year. I need to control my audiophile monkey, before I do something stupid.
smily_headphones1.gif

You do have some epic schiit, my friend 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #11,121 of 13,350
You do have some epic schiit, my friend :)  

I agree yet in a fit of sleep walking I ordered a Cavalli Audio liquid Crimson. I have put all my credit cards in a bank deposit box. My uncle has agreed to buy my Asgard 2, lyr 2, alpha primes, to help me pay for the new amp. I have not slept in days and I am making bad decisions. My Doc will try acupuncture today, too stop my leg spasms.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #11,122 of 13,350
If I had the money I would gladly fly you to my home and let you check out my stacks of schiit. My spontaneous purchase, this last Friday night has emptied my savings for this year. I need to control my audiophile monkey, before I do something stupid.
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrew, I'll drive to your house to check out your Schiit... lol 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #11,123 of 13,350
Thank you! Yes that's how I want set it up! Eaither there's a $600 marantz that has only optical in&bout or theres a $1100 that has all 3 inputs&bout (coaxial, optical and usb) would optical audio be the best?

Thank you for your help! And summarizing everything!

One thing that someone got wrong is they said only Mac has combo headphone/toslink jack, this is not true, many sound cards that are made for PC have this dual jack. It is possible that your motherboard has this jack but you would have to research your motherboard model, because not all headphone Jacks have toslink.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #11,125 of 13,350
Andrew, I'll drive to your house to check out your Schiit... lol :tongue_smile:

You are welcome to my house anytime, to listen to my stacks of schiit. Just let me know when so I can gather it all, into one room.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #11,130 of 13,350
  Does the new bifrost offer much of an upgrade over the modi 2 uber if I'm just going to use either DAC (pc and game consoles) with active studio monitors (Emotiva Airmotiv 5s)?

It should be a significant upgrade even for speakers. I had a Bifrost Uber and also own a Theta DS Pro Progeny v. A. The Progeny A poops on the Uber in every single way possible. I mean you don't realize how unnatural it sounds in comparison afterwards. Everything I'm saying should be taken with a grain of salt and also sorted through the hyperbole.

Lets just say this. I wanted to be fair to the Bifrost Uber and tested songs I am very familiar with from Carlos Santana. Samba Pa Ti and Oye Como Va. The Theta DS Pro Progeny had a much larger soundstage (depth, width, L/R separation) and a more natural image and the Uber had slightly less fleshed out midrange. Tonally the Uber is pretty spot on, it is just lacking in imaging qualities and natural ease that become very discernible while listening under the microscope of headphones versus speakers.

The Bifrost Uber by comparison sounded slightly unfocused (yet still detailed) with a squashed soundstage that wasn't as round or circular as the Theta.

Sounds coming from behind you actually sound like they're coming from behind you versus diagonally L/R and sounds to the left and right are layered better and sound more distant from your ears w/ the Theta than the Uber. Also the Bifrost Uber requires more on the volume knob to get sound output.

The Theta has a boosted output by a few dB and doesn't require the amp to be turned as far right. Maybe that contributes to a more authoritative and  hefty sound versus the less dynamic and textured Bifrost Uber?

I know that would only be part of the story because the soundstage differences are far from subtle but actually noticeable while playing video games. The Theta absolutely kicks ass at first person shooter video games with positioning gunshots and three-dimensional sound. Usually audio DACs suck for video games but this is not the case.

My upgraded Bifrost MB is getting shipped back to me tomorrow so I will be able to do comparisons with the Theta DAC after burn-in and some night time listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back