Schiit Owners Unite
May 9, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #10,201 of 13,350
[quote name="StanD" url="/t/601151/schiit-owners-unite/10200#post_
Or a difference too slight to tell. As it is most audio gear has a flat FR and distortion levels below human perception, but we do like to big deal out of it.
[/quote]
As a scientist I get your point regarding measurements- but experience tells me there may be properties we are not measuring

May 9, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #10,202 of 13,350
StanD said:
Or a difference too slight to tell. As it is most audio gear has a flat FR and distortion levels below human perception, but we do like to big deal out of it.

As a scientist I get your point regarding measurements- but experience tells me there may be properties we are not measuring

One such property could be, I think, the ability to keep that flat FR and imperceptible distortion going under the heavy and varying load that a headphone can be.

May 9, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #10,203 of 13,350
One such property could be, I think, the ability to keep that flat FR and imperceptible distortion going under the heavy and varying load that a headphone can be.

How is harsh treble measured? I can play the same music and source. One amp may sound shrill when the flutes and sopranos sound- one may not. Yet both amps are 20-20,000 Hz +0.5 db with 0.01 % THD and 100 Watts RMS at 8 Ohms, 200 at 4 ohms.
How do you measure the ability of one amp to recreate an almost holographic soundstage while a similarly rated amp does not?
Is it that one amp can handle an impedance spike and the other can't so it distorts the flute solo?
StanD?

May 9, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #10,204 of 13,350
StanD said:

Originally Posted by Exacoustatowner 

Perhaps you can identify them? Frankly this is not such a complicated thing as some of us make it out to be.

May 9, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #10,205 of 13,350

A Magnetic Planar is not a complex load, it is considered resisitive without a varying impedance curve. Even headphones with varying impedance curves are not a difficult load for an Amp with a low output impedance as their impedance goes higher not lower.

May 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #10,206 of 13,350
How is harsh treble measured? I can play the same music and source. One amp may sound shrill when the flutes and sopranos sound- one may not. Yet both amps are 20-20,000 Hz +0.5 db with 0.01 % THD and 100 Watts RMS at 8 Ohms, 200 at 4 ohms.
How do you measure the ability of one amp to recreate an almost holographic soundstage while a similarly rated amp does not?
Is it that one amp can handle an impedance spike and the other can't so it distorts the flute solo?
StanD?

100W RMS into a headphone 
eek.gif
 Schiit doesn't make such an amp.
When it comes to loudspeakers they can demand more of an amp for the delivery of power, however, IMO that is overblown. There are many superb high efficiency speakers that do not require gobs of power. I believe it's the speakers and acoustics that make the big difference.

May 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #10,207 of 13,350
100W RMS into a headphone :eek:  Schiit doesn't make such an amp.
When it comes to loudspeakers they can demand more of an amp for the delivery of power, however, IMO that is overblown. There are many superb high efficiency speakers that do not require gobs of power. I believe it's the speakers and acoustics that make the big difference.

My Krell begs to differ, he wills speakers into submission⚡️!

May 9, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #10,210 of 13,350
  I try not to personify electronic equipment.

And yet Schiit does that with pretty much every piece of gear 
wink.gif

Calling something Schiit does not personify it. That might might qualify as strange taste, certainly not humanizing it. 
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #10,211 of 13,350
May 9, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #10,212 of 13,350
  Calling something Schiit does not personify it. That might might qualify as strange taste, certainly not humanizing it. 
biggrin.gif

Not the company name.... sheesh.  The gear, yo.  The gear.

May 9, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #10,214 of 13,350
May 9, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #10,215 of 13,350
  100W RMS into a headphone 
eek.gif
 Schiit doesn't make such an amp.

An example Stan! I am using an HP amp that puts out 6 watts/channel at 32 ohms-and that is more than enough for my HE-560-which are more of a resistive load btw. :)
I have a couple of very short test tracks on SACD that I use to compare. One of the MOST challenging is from Mahler Symphony # 8 SACD MTT.,In the 2nd and 3rd movements there are sections with massive choral, and multiple soprano's belting out at the same time the organ is hitting some high notes.
On some amps that can sound almost painfully shrill. I compared some fairly pricey head amps and found different degrees of shrill and edgy overtones- and could hear the displeasing "edge" at different volumes-before you ask about volume matching. I went back to each amp several times-with a break in between. It's been months so I don't recall which amps as I bought none of them,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back