Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 6, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #8,987 of 13,350
  Checking in here with my Modi 2 Uber and Asgard 2 driving Mad Dog Pro's....

I love them! But, something is missing compared to loudspeakers...

I too have MDP's and an Asgard 2 but with Uberfrost.

I like my Mad Dog's. And I was hoping for more too. I do realize that there is a difference between speakers and headphones. I often times feel like my headphones are much better. But I do miss the body experience of speakers. Though the more I listen, the happier I am with headphones.

In analyzing all this, one of the areas that we can get the biggest change for the dollars spent is in headphones. So I bought a pair of Audeze LCD X's. Should be here any day. They are 3 times the price of the MDP's so I assume I will experience a big difference. 

My next purchase will likely be the Ragnarok. I know that extra power will open up both my headphones significantly.

I hope you figure out what you are looking for.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #8,988 of 13,350

I like my Mad Dog's. And I was hoping for more too. I do realize that there is a difference between speakers and headphones. I often times feel like my headphones are much better. But I do miss the body experience of speakers. Though the more I listen, the happier I am with headphones.

In analyzing all this, one of the areas that we can get the biggest change for the dollars spent is in headphones. So I bought a pair of Audeze LCD X's. Should be here any day. They are 3 times the price of the MDP's so I assume I will experience a big difference. 

My next purchase will likely be the Ragnarok. I know that extra power will open up both my headphones significantly.

You are correct! I feel like my measly Boston Acoustic Cr57 bookshelf speakers give me more of the "body" experience that I am looking for l...but the sound quality and accuracy of the Mad Dog Pros cannot be beat...

Can I hook up a subwoofer to deliver the body experience while still using my Mad Dog Pros?

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #8,989 of 13,350

Looking forward to your impressions on the LCD-X . Can the Mad DOG Pro's be used as portable s? Thanks hope he a have a good one.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #8,990 of 13,350
You are correct! I feel like my measly Boston Acoustic Cr57 bookshelf speakers give me more of the "body" experience that I am looking for l...but the sound quality and accuracy of the Mad Dog Pros cannot be beat...

Can I hook up a subwoofer to deliver the body experience while still using my Mad Dog Pros?

The more I use my MDP the less I miss my speakers - and I have Martin Logan's. But, my room lacks a lot, so am not hearing them as I could be. I find I listen almost exclusively to my headphones now. Depending on your amp, you can hook up a sub. That's one of the reasons I want the Ragnarok. I have a sub waiting to give it a shot.

Though I still believe you will get even more as you upgrade your music and then your headphones.

Looking forward to your impressions on the LCD-X . Can the Mad DOG Pro's be used as portable s? Thanks hope he a have a good one.

Happy to let you know once they get here. My MDP ends in a 1/4 in connection, so at the least a mini plug adapter would have to be used. My Note 3 can't drive them worth a crap. They have a similar power requirement as your Alpha Prime's.

Weight wise, I would be fine with using them as portibles. Power wise, I think I would need an amp to drive them. The  LCD X should be able to be driven with my Note 3 - but it really benefits from a good amp from all I've read. Will let you know as I'm going to try them with my Note 3.

Edit - I will add that reading this website is dangerous to your financial health. I had no intention of upgrading anything when I bought my MDP. But then I started reading and interacting with people here. And, I got bit by the upgrade bug. So I went right to the top as much as I could. Not much further "up" one can go from the LCD-X. There are more expensive cans but for me, this is pretty close to the top. We'll see soon as they get in.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #8,991 of 13,350
I use the Fiio E12 to drive my Alpha Prime's, and I am mostly happy. Though sometimes I feel the sounstage, once in a while, sounds congested. I do need to find a portable balanced amp.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #8,992 of 13,350
I use the Fiio E12 to drive my Alpha Prime's, and I am mostly happy. Though sometimes I feel the sounstage, once in a while, sounds congested. I do need to find a portable balanced amp.

Let me know if you find a balanced portable amp. I value your opinion. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #8,993 of 13,350
Mar 6, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #8,995 of 13,350
  New member here.  I just got my Lyr 2 and Bifrost Uber USB (upgraded from a FiiO E17K/E09K Combo).

Welcome!  and yah, nice bump up.   get used to the Lyr 2 stock tubes for a few weeks, then come join us in the Lyr tube rollers thread.
if your wallet can bear the pain.
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #8,996 of 13,350
New member here.  I just got my Lyr 2 and Bifrost Uber USB (upgraded from a FiiO E17K/E09K Combo).

Welcome to Club Schiit, may your rig put a smile on your face and drown out the sobbing lamentations of your wallet as you discover tube rolling..:D

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #8,997 of 13,350
Yeah, it's a HUGE upgrade!  I'm very happy with my purchase.

And no, I'm not going to that thread.  You have no idea what lies I told my wife so I can get these.  If she ever finds out how much I spent on these, I'll probably get kicked out of the house.  LOL!

OK... maybe next week I'll take a peek at tubes :p

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #8,999 of 13,350
On eBay there's a ray Samuels intruder someone is selling. Mint condition, starting bid $345.00. That's a good deal. Just search ray Samuels, it will come up.

Mar 7, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #9,000 of 13,350
I just ordered a Ragnarok about 1.5 weeks ago! I'm excited for it to arrive despite the long wait. Oddly enough I could only find a few reviews of it on here. I guess because it's newish? I'll be pairing it with LCD3's and upgrading from an M-stage! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back