Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 31, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #6,226 of 13,350
  Hey Guys,

New here but had the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack running some LCD 2 rev 2's through toxic cables Silver Poisons for just over a year.

Anyone else running the same?

Would love to hear some impressions of the Gungnir\Mjolnir stack with LCD2's

Did this until 3 months ago or so...Listen, the Gungnir/Mojo stack is a fine combo for the Audez'e cans. I had the 2.2 and the 3 (I thought the 3 was slightly better with the stack). With the 2.2s, the bass was impactful and deep without being boomy, the mids were a tad veiled to my ears and the top end was smooth. The mids became better with the 3. With the G/M stack, its like sitting in the front row to hear the music. So its going to be a tad aggressive but that was fine with me.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6,228 of 13,350
  So I just found out that the MacBook Pro supports toslink natively through the 3.5mm audio port.  I ordered the Bifrost for $350 and it will arrive tomorrow. :)  I'll have the Modi and the Bifrost to jump between - let the games begin!

Well that didn't take long. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #6,229 of 13,350
Do you lose the ability for asynchronous data transfer when using Toslink? I've never used it so I honestly don't know. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #6,232 of 13,350
  What does that mean and why would it matter?

Out of the office for lunch, here's a good read on the subject: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

Very basically, asynchronous data transfer means that your DAC's clock controls the timing of the data rather than the PC/Laptop controlling it. I know that Schiit has done a great job with their Asynchronous USB...I honestly don't know if you lose anything with regards to the DAC controlling the computer when you use Toslink or not.

Congratulations on your Biforst and I hope that it works out great for you.   

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #6,233 of 13,350
  Heh, well, I don't deal well with tension.

I've been going through my stuff with Bifrost for a couple of hours now, and I'm happy to inform that this one's a keeper. You won't be disappointed. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #6,234 of 13,350

Out of the office for lunch, here's a good read on the subject: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

Very basically, asynchronous data transfer means that your DAC's clock controls the timing of the data rather than the PC/Laptop controlling it. I know that Schiit has done a great job with their Asynchronous USB...I honestly don't know if you lose anything with regards to the DAC controlling the computer when you use Toslink or not.

Congratulations on your Biforst and I hope that it works out great for you.   

That's only for USB though, which he isn't going to be using with Bifrost.

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #6,235 of 13,350
  What does that mean and why would it matter?

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand about this stuff (which isn't much), optical is more likely to have jitter issues, USB is more likely to have noise issues. But Schiit has done a great job with their DACs and I don't think you'll have any issues. 

The only known downside I've discovered with optical/Mac is that Mac can't output 192/24 via toslink. I don't submit to the "HD" stuff so its not an issue for me (I run my output at 44.1/16). May or may not be an issue for you. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #6,236 of 13,350

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand about this stuff (which isn't much), optical is more likely to have jitter issues, USB is more likely to have noise issues. But Schiit has done a great job with their DACs and I don't think you'll have any issues. 

The only known downside I've discovered with optical/Mac is that Mac can't output 192/24 via toslink. I don't submit to the "HD" stuff so its not an issue for me (I run my output at 44.1/16). May or may not be an issue for you. 

Well, I can always upgrade components if I find that I can't live without it.  That's kind of a bummer though.  With my new LDC-XC's I certainly can tell the difference between an mp3, higher quality Spotify stream and a lossless file.  Baby steps. :0)

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #6,237 of 13,350
Well, I can always upgrade components if I find that I can't live without it.  That's kind of a bummer though.  With my new LDC-XC's I certainly can tell the difference between an mp3, higher quality Spotify stream and a lossless file.  Baby steps. :0)

Oh no doubt hearing a difference. I ONLY listen to lossless files. But I don't hear a difference between 44.1/16 and 192/24, and I doubt you would either. Nasty lossy MP3s are a very different story.

Jul 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #6,238 of 13,350
So what do you guys think of Vali Vs Asgard? 

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #6,239 of 13,350

I think it would be a close game with Vali jumping out to an early lead but Asgard making a second half surge. But in the end, I think Ditka wins in a blowout by 50.

Cheers

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #6,240 of 13,350

I've got both and prefer the Asgard 2 for the below reasons.
  1. More power. I have an HE-500, etc, etc, etc.
  2. Less noise
  3. Gain switch (Hi, Lo)
  4. No Microphonics (not too big of a deal anyway).
  5. Warms my house better in the winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back