Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 24, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #6,155 of 13,350
It's definitely your mind

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #6,156 of 13,350
  The problem is most likely your optical output. Most laptops/motherboards can only go up to 96/24.

^^ this.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #6,159 of 13,350
  There's just something about that red light with spdif I like I guess. 

I'm not hearing any voices in my head but sometimes I think someone is calling me because the audio is so good. 

I prefer the spdif as well. Having the non-uber USB, to me sounded not as clear as the optical. What I don't like is that the optical input on the Bifrost when receiving the optical end of the cable, seems to lack the proper connect (tough to describe it) as it seems the optical end just rests in the jack itself, rather than snapping in. Just comes down to personal preference. But what I have to keep reminding myself is that any upgrades makes the tiniest of incremental changes. I have ignored the elders and spent money on cables, connectors, gas infused, adamantium, un-obtanium copper this and that, and the result has not been revolutionary. I will say there is a sound difference between a 2 dollar optical cable and a 16 dollar optical cable. I did once again went with the immortal Monster optical cable the sound is the same as the 16 dollar one, but that is about it. Just my $.02.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #6,160 of 13,350
  I prefer the spdif as well. Having the non-uber USB, to me sounded not as clear as the optical. What I don't like is that the optical input on the Bifrost when receiving the optical end of the cable, seems to lack the proper connect (tough to describe it) as it seems the optical end just rests in the jack itself, rather than snapping in. Just comes down to personal preference. But what I have to keep reminding myself is that any upgrades makes the tiniest of incremental changes. I have ignored the elders and spent money on cables, connectors, gas infused, adamantium, un-obtanium copper this and that, and the result has not been revolutionary. I will say there is a sound difference between a 2 dollar optical cable and a 16 dollar optical cable. I did once again went with the immortal Monster optical cable the sound is the same as the 16 dollar one, but that is about it. Just my $.02.

Well, the Uber upgrades really helped in my case. I had the USB to SPDIF bridge but with the USB upgrade, i used a Wireworld USB cable. To me, the sound has improved noticeably such that I ignore the other inputs these days. My $0.02.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #6,161 of 13,350
  Well, the Uber upgrades really helped in my case. I had the USB to SPDIF bridge but with the USB upgrade, i used a Wireworld USB cable. To me, the sound has improved noticeably such that I ignore the other inputs these days. My $0.02.

I suspect that the improvement was due to the Bifrost upgrades, not the cable.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #6,163 of 13,350
Looking for opinions here: Aune T1 (temporary until I get money for a Bifrost) --> Lyr 2 --> HE400i (I've heard it has a sound signature similar to HE500 I believe) and eventually something better. I already have the T1 and I'm pretty well set on the 400i and then I have about $500 or so left over. I want something that won't need to be changed out down the road when I get a higher end dac and better headphones so I figured the Lyr 2 would be a good fit. Thoughts?

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #6,164 of 13,350
Looking for opinions here: Aune T1 (temporary until I get money for a Bifrost) --> Lyr 2 --> HE400i (I've heard it has a sound signature similar to HE500 I believe) and eventually something better. I already have the T1 and I'm pretty well set on the 400i and then I have about $500 or so left over. I want something that won't need to be changed out down the road when I get a higher end dac and better headphones so I figured the Lyr 2 would be a good fit. Thoughts?

I'll bet that an Asgard 2 will do an excellent job with the 400i, it works great with my HE-500's. You can put the savings from the Lyr2 cost difference towards your Bifrost.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #6,165 of 13,350
I'll bet that an Asgard 2 will do an excellent job with the 400i, it works great with my HE-500's. You can put the savings from the Lyr2 cost difference towards your Bifrost.

Would the asgard 2 be powerful enough for something further down the road such as a Lcd 2/3/X/whatever? Also, is the Uber analog worth the extra money in the bifrost? Since I'll be using it with both my desktop and my MacBook Air, I'll need the USB input for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back