Schiit Owners Unite
Jul 3, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #5,926 of 13,350
Blue Jeans optical cables are also very nice.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #5,927 of 13,350
Someone with a Mac reported USB problems a few pages ago. I currently have a 2008 MacBook Pro (the first unibody) but am going to be upgrading when they update the retinas next. Should I be concerned about my DAC not working? How many people have issues with USB 3 with Mavericks?

Does being on battery power change anything? I'd think that it'd only restrict power to the ports to prolong battery life, so it wouldn't do so when plugged in. Would anyone with a newer (preferably 15" retina) MacBook Pro mind sharing their experiences?

I know this isn't directly related to Schiit but this is a general threat and I am probably not the only one wondering about this.

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #5,928 of 13,350
  Someone with a Mac reported USB problems a few pages ago. I currently have a 2008 MacBook Pro (the first unibody) but am going to be upgrading when they update the retinas next. Should I be concerned about my DAC not working? How many people have issues with USB 3 with Mavericks?

Does being on battery power change anything? I'd think that it'd only restrict power to the ports to prolong battery life, so it wouldn't do so when plugged in. Would anyone with a newer (preferably 15" retina) MacBook Pro mind sharing their experiences?

I know this isn't directly related to Schiit but this is a general threat and I am probably not the only one wondering about this.

Not a specific answer in regard to 15" MBP, but FWIW -  I'm using a newer macbook air, w/ Mavericks, and USB DAC works just fine, regardless of running on battery or not.

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #5,929 of 13,350

I run my Modi from an early 2013 MBP 13" retina with no issues.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #5,930 of 13,350

I have the newest MBPr and I've experienced a lot of clicks and pops with the Gungnir. That's while it's on wall power, too.

The weird thing is it was happening out of one port and not the other. Furthermore, one USB hub I have was making it worse. Ultimately I got a new hub and it fixed it ( or I could just use the other port).

I think you'll be just fine. It's certainly not Schiit's fault. Probably just a perfect storm to create the issue.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #5,931 of 13,350
^^ I bet you are loosing the digital data stream and the clicks and pops are the unit resetting/locking on the signal.

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,932 of 13,350

No problems for me either, both plugged in and unplugged.  Macbook Air 13" 2013 (Mavericks), Schiit Lyr and Ūberfrost.

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #5,934 of 13,350

That was me who posted about USB problems. I'll respond here, although I don't believe the problem I'm experiencing is due to my Schiit equipment. I have a late-2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15" running Mavericks --> Schiit Wyrd --> Gungnir --> Mjolnir, then split to either HD 650 headphones or powered Airmotiv 4s speakers (via pre-outs).

Should I be concerned about my DAC not working? I don't think you should have any concern.  In my case, the Schiit Wyrd did help, as  I posted previously. My system is silent EXCEPT when I click on a window, scroll, or open an application. In these moments, I can hear a very faint sound that I can only describe as a fuzzy crackle -- it seems associated with electrical activity on the motherboard, or maybe of the CPU or GPU. Not sure if related to USB 3.0 on Mavericks, but not ruling that out. I can hear the sound through both my headphones and the speakers. Removing the Mjolnir from the chain (which is itself causing a different noise issue) doesn't help. Can't determine what, if any change there would be without the Gungnir. Swapping cables, etc. did not improve the situation.

Does being on battery power change anything? The fuzzy crackle sound occurs only when the MBP is connected to AC power. I'm able to reliably reproduce the sound until I disconnect from AC power. I've checked for obvious ground loops (although the fuzzy sound I hear does not sound like a typical ground loop hum, could it still be a ground loop?), swapped around 3-prong to 2-prong adapters, and tried different outlets, but no luck. Maybe it's a faulty power supply brick?

Anyway, hope this helps.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #5,935 of 13,350
Another suggestion to Schiit is to make a portable amp like a fiio e12 or O2 but less clunky

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #5,937 of 13,350
Another suggestion to Schiit is to make a portable amp like a fiio e12 or O2 but less clunky

They've already stated that they don't want to deal with lithium batteries and all of the regulations that go along with them, so that will never happen.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,938 of 13,350

I bought a new Macbook Air 13" a month back and the USB connection with the Modi didn't work. Could't recognise the Modi plugged in but the LED light was on. Similarly with the Uberfrost, connection was intermittent although the DAC was recognised. Had to use an externally powered USB hub. Funny thing is, now when I use the Modi, i have very bad interference problems i.e. fuzzy sounds to no sound at all and it only goes away when i rest one palm on the Mac - anyone with similar issues? Doesn't happen with the Bifrost though. Wonder if the Wyrd would cure this..as of now, the Modi is unusable in my rig.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #5,939 of 13,350
Sounds like you have a much larger underlying problem with either the computer or the cable used to connect the devices. Do other USB devices work properly on the same USB ports that the Schiit DACs aren't working on?

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #5,940 of 13,350
  I bought a new Macbook Air 13" a month back and the USB connection with the Modi didn't work. Could't recognise the Modi plugged in but the LED light was on. Similarly with the Uberfrost, connection was intermittent although the DAC was recognised. Had to use an externally powered USB hub. Funny thing is, now when I use the Modi, i have very bad interference problems i.e. fuzzy sounds to no sound at all and it only goes away when i rest one palm on the Mac - anyone with similar issues? Doesn't happen with the Bifrost though. Wonder if the Wyrd would cure this..as of now, the Modi is unusable in my rig.

I've got a mid-2013 Macbook Air 13" running Mavericks that I have used with a few DACs including Practical Devices XM6, iBasso D-Zero and Oppo BDP-105 and have had no problems having them recognized or making noises either on AC or battery. I do ensure that they are powered on before I plug in the USB cable.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back