Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5,131 of 13,350
  I had the Modi on 24/7, the light was always on but it was behind one of my monitors so it didn't get annoying or anything.

That said, my Bifrost Uber arrived today, and I am very very happy I took the leap. I didn't think the difference would be that major, and maybe it's just placebo and hype, but I'm definitely in love with this thing. I'm pretty sure this Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 is my endgame, or at the very least going to be my setup for a long long time to come.

Congrats, hope you enjoy the uberfrost. much appreciate it if you could give some comparison between modi and uberfrost

the light might be okay to me, i am more concerned about the heat and aging of components inside modi if letting it on 24/7

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #5,132 of 13,350

Congrats, hope you enjoy the uberfrost. much appreciate it if you could give some comparison between modi and uberfrost

the light might be okay to me, i am more concerned about the heat and aging of components inside modi if letting it on 24/7

I wouldn't worry about the heat from the LEDs as they put out very little. I have a Headroom little headphone amp that has two LEDs on the front that are on whenever the amp is plugged in. There is no on/off switch on the unit so the LEDs have been on 24/7 for about 12 years. The amp still works great and the LEDs are as bright as ever.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #5,135 of 13,350
I agree. I'm not sure how warm a Modi gets, but the Bifrost gets very warm. I leave it on 24/7 anyway.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #5,137 of 13,350
  I guess I misunderstood what was being said. Either way the dac is going to produce very little heat. I'm sure if Schiit thought it was an issue they would have put an on/off switch on the Modi.

Thanks very much for your opinions. You are right, I am a little bit concerned about the heat and aging of the components inside. It is not a big problem, otherwise Schiit would have added an on/off switch.

Just curious to know how most of you guys do - unplug the usb cable or leave it on?

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #5,140 of 13,350

Thanks very much for your opinions. You are right, I am a little bit concerned about the heat and aging of the components inside. It is not a big problem, otherwise Schiit would have added an on/off switch.

Just curious to know how most of you guys do - unplug the usb cable or leave it on?

I shut my computer down at night but it's on most of the day. I have an ODAC which also does not have a power switch. I really don't worry about having it on all the time, if it got fairly warm I may think twice about leaving it on. I think you may want to consider shutting your computer down when your not going to be using it for many hours as a possible solution.

I don't think I would unplug the USB cable more than I had to though. The wear and tear on the jack from constant unplugging would be far worse than just leaving it on all the time IMO.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #5,141 of 13,350
I keep my Magni and Modi in a tote with their cables when I'm not using them. I set them up various places around my house when I want to use them. The Modi is usually connected to my iPad as the source.

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #5,142 of 13,350
  I shut my computer down at night but it's on most of the day. I have an ODAC which also does not have a power switch. I really don't worry about having it on all the time, if it got fairly warm I may think twice about leaving it on. I think you may want to consider shutting your computer down when your not going to be using it for many hours as a possible solution.

I don't think I would unplug the USB cable more than I had to though. The wear and tear on the jack from constant unplugging would be far worse than just leaving it on all the time IMO.

instead of shutdown i normally put my mac in sleep at night, coz it's much faster to boot up. but the shortcoming is that usb is still on

like you said i dont like plug and upplug often either, which leads to wear and tear on the jack

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #5,145 of 13,350
Getting the urge to upgrade my Little Dot Mk 3. Was thinking either a Vali or a Valhalla. Have any of you had to chance to listen to a Mk3 and either of those amps? I am thinking probably Valhalla as it is a very similar amp to the Mk 3 in design and everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back