Schiit Owners Unite
Apr 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #226 of 13,350

Quote:
WhiteCrow, I was wondering, where do you generally set your volume knob? Like, I was always wondering since the Lyr is so high powered, if I could successfully use low impedance headphones (like 8 ohms) with it. I've read the review over at 6moons and it gave me a good general idea. But still curious. And I know there's differences between HE-500 and other headphones, again I was just wondering.

On my Lyr I have roughly the same settings for all my headphones (HD650 (gone), K702, HE-400.)  With my old source (Pure i-20 dock through Bifrost) I'd set it at about 9 o'clock.  However after switching to Squeezebox Touch through Bifrost, for some unknown reason the signal level is far higher (better SNR?), and I generally keep it down at 7-8 o'clock.  Still the huge radius of the knob makes it easy to fine-tune volume even with such a limited range. 

Even if I felt safe using something like IEMs on it, I would think the noise floor for something so sensitive would not be pleasant to listen to.

Something like HE-500, HE5 would probably go up near 11-12 o'clock.   HE-6....just crank the thing to 5 o'clock and hope you can hear something
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #227 of 13,350
Poll for Lyr Owners: If you turn your amp on without headphones plugged in, then later (after the relay sets) put headphones on your head and plug-in, do you hear sound in the headphones from plugging in (a crackle, or snap, or pop, or whatever word you want to describe "a sound" with?)

The TL;DR long story about it is: I have two Lyrs.  One is dead-silent on plug in.  The other makes a noise through the headphones on plugin.  A few weeks ago, I plugged in before the relay closed, had the volume up a bit, it was a much louder than usual noise and took the 650s with it.  Note that this is not just the basic "power on thump", but the noise occurs no matter when I plug in, even half an hour later. (No discussion on the fried cans needs to take place here, there was already a different thread for that.)

Now, Schiit's taking care of it, and I can send it back any time for repair/exam.  I'm just avoiding being without my wonderful Lyr at the moment (and it works just fine as is.)

Here's where it gets interesting.  The set of tubes I had turned out to be pretty bad, and I suspect that had more than a little to do with it.  I replaced the tubes and voila, the noise at plugin went almost entirely away (missing most times, small sound other times.)  But I noticed the one tube had a high pitched whine on it.  Swapped it with another new tube.  Whine went away.  But now I have the plug-in noise more frequently again.  However the noise is still not as loud as it used to be.  It's there, but not as big.  The tubes seem to be related in one way or another.

Thus my poll: How many folks have a "noise" in the cans when plugging in headphones the first time after power-up?  If it's many, I think that means that the tube change solved my real problem, and I may not need to send the amp in (yay!), if everyone else has a silent plug-in, I'll probably still send the amp in in a month or two.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #228 of 13,350
Yea I have heard that the Lyr can pump some voltage upon plug in and I make sure to turn it on, let the relay run, and turn the knob to 0 before plug in.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #229 of 13,350

Quote:
Yea I have heard that the Lyr can pump some voltage upon plug in and I make sure to turn it on, let the relay run, and turn the knob to 0 before plug in.

Yeah.  This particular "sound" occurs even after a wait (in one test I waited half an hour, same thing.)   It's definitely not related to the power-on "thump" or the relay's function.  Though the time my cans got blown, I had the volume up and had the cans plugged in before the relay, which in my opinion mattered, Jason assured me that the positon of the volume knob wouldn't matter. But I'm ever the skeptic, and that's the only thing that was different that time.

There was definitely a faulty component involved.  My hope is that the tubes (which were pretty crazy) were the core issue, and the noise that I'm hearing now is a normal one.  Jason did say that a small noise is normal, though my other one makes no noise at all. 

So I take it yours makes zero noise....that's one vote that I should still send it for service
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #230 of 13,350
If it blew your cans sending it in for service is a given, it should not pop drives bu plugging them in. I only get noise when turning it on and off but not plugin my cans in. Also the Bifrost makes a very scary snapping noise when plugged into my PS3 when I start a game heh but I read that's normal.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #231 of 13,350

Quote:

where do you usually set your volume knob?  Since you have asgard.  I have a asgard and hd 800 and I set my volume knob around 12 - 2 o clock.
Is this sound usual to you?

For my Monitor 10s, somewhere around 9 to 11 o clock. With my SE-50 (8 ohms) say around 9 to 12 depending on the music. Max i set it with any of my phones is around 12.

However, if the music is something I recorded, the volume is usually lower. So sometimes, I will go to 1 or 2 o clock.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #232 of 13,350

Quote:
If it blew your cans sending it in for service is a given, it should not pop drives bu plugging them in. I only get noise when turning it on and off but not plugin my cans in. Also the Bifrost makes a very scary snapping noise when plugged into my PS3 when I start a game heh but I read that's normal.

Maybe so but Lyr is so addictive I don't want to be without it!
biggrin.gif
  I probably will still send it in but I was curious what amount of noise is considered normal versus not.  It really has tamed down after the tube change.  Those tubes were doing something nasty.  Although the new sound has more of a hiss to it as well.  So there still could be something wrong.  But I'm going to need intense counseling to keep my calm while my Lyr is away! 
triportsad.gif
  I figure mid-summer I won't use it as much so that's a good time.  I keep pushing it back.

Yeah Bifrost makes that sound when it is changing clocks.  Most AVRs do the same when you change inputs or source signals.

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #233 of 13,350
I drive my Thunderpants with the Valhalla and Bifrost DAC connected to the optical out from my MacBook Pro.  Sounds great and looks great!

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #234 of 13,350
Just went back to using my Asgard after an extended listening session using only my laptop and headphones. All I can say is, wow. What a difference. So much fuller sounding.

EDIT - This thing just drives my SE-50 with such authority. Like total control and so much power to push into these.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #235 of 13,350
Hi all,

I'm looking for a Schiit amplifier recommendation.  I'm a long-time Sennheiser HD 595 user (7 years, 20,000 hours).  I love my 595s, but after 7 years they're tattered and need to be replaced.  I've purchased the 598s (haven't gotten them yet, still in transit) but I'm also probably going to purchase the 650s and audition both.  I enjoy listening to classical, rock, country, dance, and jazz.  

Because I haven't listened to any headphones other than my 595s in 7 years (and therefore I have nothing to compare it with), I'm not really sure what sound signature I prefer.  That said, I do like the signature of my 595s when amped with the best thing I have for the job (Yahama A/V receiver; I know it's not ideal), but in my experience they sound absolutely lifeless when not adequately powered (e.g., straight out of the mini-stereo jack on my computer).  Although my Fiio E10 is a noticeable improvement over mini-stereo output from the computer, I'd say that it probably only gets the 595s about half way between my worst (computer) and best (Yamaha) options.

Since I'm replacing my headphones and amplifier, I'll also be upgrading my DAC as well (I intend to purchase a Bifrost).  That would make the entire chain:

(1) Mac laptop ---> (2) glass optical or audioquest usb ---> (3) Schiit Bifrost ---> (4) good quality interconnects ---> (5) (AMPLIFIER RECOMMENDATION) ---> (6) (a) HD 598, (b) HD 650, or (c) HD 598 AND HD 650.

All that is to say that I'm looking for a recommendation for what you would consider the best Schiit amplifier for (1) the HD 598, (2) the HD 650, and (3) the HD 598 AND the HD 650.

EDIT: I suppose I should also say that my budget limits me to any of the currently available Schiit amplifiers (Asgard, Valhalla, or Lyr).

Thanks very much for your time!

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #236 of 13,350
Because the 598s are low impedance, the common denominator for running those as well as the 650s is the Asgard.  The Valhalla won't be an optimal match for the 598s. If you were only going to run the 650s, I'd say the Valhalla.

Only the 598s: Asgard
Only the 650s: Valhalla
Both the 598s and 650s: Asgard

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a Schiit amplifier recommendation.  I'm a long-time Sennheiser HD 595 user (7 years, 20,000 hours).  I love my 595s, but after 7 years they're tattered and need to be replaced.  I've purchased the 598s (haven't gotten them yet, still in transit) but I'm also probably going to purchase the 650s and audition both.  I enjoy listening to classical, rock, country, dance, and jazz.  

Because I haven't listened to any headphones other than my 595s in 7 years (and therefore I have nothing to compare it with), I'm not really sure what sound signature I prefer.  That said, I do like the signature of my 595s when amped with the best thing I have for the job (Yahama A/V receiver; I know it's not ideal), but in my experience they sound absolutely lifeless when not adequately powered (e.g., straight out of the mini-stereo jack on my computer).  Although my Fiio E10 is a noticeable improvement over mini-stereo output from the computer, I'd say that it probably only gets the 595s about half way between my worst (computer) and best (Yamaha) options.

Since I'm replacing my headphones and amplifier, I'll also be upgrading my DAC as well (I intend to purchase a Bifrost).  That would make the entire chain:

(1) Mac laptop ---> (2) glass optical or audioquest usb ---> (3) Schiit Bifrost ---> (4) good quality interconnects ---> (5) (AMPLIFIER RECOMMENDATION) ---> (6) (a) HD 598, (b) HD 650, or (c) HD 598 AND HD 650.

All that is to say that I'm looking for a recommendation for what you would consider the best Schiit amplifier for (1) the HD 598, (2) the HD 650, and (3) the HD 598 AND the HD 650.

EDIT: I suppose I should also say that my budget limits me to any of the currently available Schiit amplifiers (Asgard, Valhalla, or Lyr).

Thanks very much for your time!

Apr 30, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #237 of 13,350
I just ordered the Schiit Lyr and they're set to come on Wednesday.

I was wondering if the Asgard would be more appropriate to drive my HD 598's and HE-400's. I plan to step higher on terms of headphones, I was taking that into consideration when ordering the Lyr over the Asgard. 

Please tell me if you need more info to answer the question as I am fairly new to the head-fi community.

Thanks,
Andy

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #238 of 13,350

Quote:
I just ordered the Schiit Lyr and they're set to come on Wednesday.

I was wondering if the Asgard would be more appropriate to drive my HD 598's and HE-400's. I plan to step higher on terms of headphones, I was taking that into consideration when ordering the Lyr over the Asgard. 

Please tell me if you need more info to answer the question as I am fairly new to the head-fi community.

Thanks,
Andy

The Lyr is an excellent amp for the HE-400!  No worries there, it was designed from the ground up for powering orthos.  Despite being "efficient orthos" that roughly translates to "inefficient headphone" and still has a low impedance.... The two are a perfect match.   If I'm not mistaken HD598 is very similar to HD600/HD650 in terms of the drivers and the power profiles and as such Lyr should also be the ideal choice for both of them as well.  Asgard would work for any of them, but I think you made the right choice on Lyr.

Between my SS AVRs and my SS Headroom Micro (Desktop), Lyr is, by no small margin, my favorite amp for almost everything (HD650, HE-400, K702.)  I'm using it with my new D5000s, but that's one headphone that it's really not suited for, too much noise and tube microphonics go into the ultra-sensitive Denons (it works, but without a "black background", and with the occasional tube screech).  Same for IEMs, MDR-7506, etc. 

For the Senns you'll want to let the tubes get hot for best sound.  I found a noticable shelf of improvement after about 45min to an hour on tube warmup with the HD650's (it gets smoother and more fluid) after that time.  For the HE-400,s since they crave mostly the current not the voltage, the warmer tubes have less of an effect, so as long a warmup isn't as beneficial.

Apr 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #239 of 13,350
Thanks! I've tried searching for a description of the sonic differences between the asgard and valhalla but there are so many threads that mention them that I'm having difficulty finding descriptions.  Will you (or anyone) compare the sound differences between the two?
Quote:
Because the 598s are low impedance, the common denominator for running those as well as the 650s is the Asgard.  The Valhalla won't be an optimal match for the 598s. If you were only going to run the 650s, I'd say the Valhalla.

Only the 598s: Asgard
Only the 650s: Valhalla
Both the 598s and 650s: Asgard

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #240 of 13,350
It's not so much the sonic differences as it is current/voltage/impedance differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back