Schiit Modi USB DAC
Aug 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #182 of 870
Quote:
question for the board: Can anyone comment on burn in (if any) with this unit. I know its a $99 unit but im a bit unimpressed right out of the box....not slam the modi- for what it is even at this stage, and made in  north america, it is an achievement 

Thanks.....

i had a modi, i found it got better after 20-30 hours, the hardness i heard soften significantly

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #183 of 870
Quote:

I haven't heard any difference with the Modi from day one until now. I think i've had it for 2-3 months. The Modi has stayed but I replaced the Magni with an E17 (not as my main amp).
I've been loving the Modi from day one. If you're not impressed with the Modi you won't be impressed with the ODAC either. I couldn't really hear much difference between the two at all.
ODAC might have been like .00001% clearer sounding but maybe it was my imagination or maybe the Modi sounded warmer. Who knows. I actually think the Modi is better than the ODAC.
Both are very good of course.

I don't have a lot of experience with computer DACs, but I found the Modi better sounding than the ODAC and HRT MSII. I'll give the Bifrost a try sometime since I like the Modi so much.

i have a bifrost at the top of my list, if i can sell an explorer and msii+ lol

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #184 of 870
Did someone hooked up the Modi to a Hifiman EF2a? I'm planning to replace the internal dac of the EF2a with an external Modi as DAC.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #185 of 870
  Did someone hooked up the Modi to a Hifiman EF2a? I'm planning to replace the internal dac of the EF2a with an external Modi as DAC.

I yes I did and it did improve the sound quite a lot actually, but I got the Modi for my LD MkIII and that is where is is living now. I still like the EF2a dac and all though that is kind of a mute point now as my wife stole my EF2a and it now sits next to her computer instead of mine <g>

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #187 of 870
How is this combination for a basic desk setup with a laptop?

Schitt USB DAC + Lepai Amp + Pioneer BS22 LR Speakers

I think that's nice. But if you can afford it, I would step up to an Indeed or Topping t-amp. Better build quality and a little bit better SQ. Topping TP21, TP31, Indeed TA2020 or Indeed TA2021. The t-amps with the TA2021 chips have a few more db of output than the TA2020 like in the Lepai.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #188 of 870
My Schiit Magni (and possibly Modi as well... not sure if my GF is trying to confuse me, surprise me, or what.) is supposed to be arriving today, and I'll get it from my GF tomorrow :D

My stuff from quables also came in, so I started to make my interconnects.
Its a 4 strand braid of solid silver.
My soldering still sucks cause I dont do it often.
And sigh, some of the PTFE sleeving got shaved because the barrel of the connector is too small, so i had to gently force it on.

Anyway, here's one done:

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #191 of 870
I have a Modi. Operationally, it's nothing short of perfect. Zero glitches, zero noise, zero issues all-around. Sound-wise, as auditioned in my main system (not headphone driven), the Modi made music sound opaque, homogeneous, dynamically limited, It exhibited a distinct lack of real bass and a propensity to make the lowert registers appear a (subjective) half octave higher in the spectrum - Nick Cave sounded like Elton John. Brrrr...

This being said, on my desktop system fronted by a pair of AA A5+ streaming Spotify at 320kbps, the Modi's issues effective disappear. Frankly, I have no complaints about the sound in this application. YMMV

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #192 of 870
I am considering buying the modi to team it up with a asgard 2.
But like everything in life, its so hard to chose.
Especially when you cant listen to it before you buy it. :/
Yes i know you could return it. But i dont want to be that guy you know.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #193 of 870
The problem with the Modi and also it's main benefit is the price. Sure you might want to compare it to something else, but who else makes a dac at any where near that price that would have a chance at sounding that good, the list is very short.

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #194 of 870
  The problem with the Modi and also it's main benefit is the price. Sure you might want to compare it to something else, but who else makes a dac at any where near that price that would have a chance at sounding that good, the list is very short.

Thank you for the advice.
I will be ordering a Modi as soon as possible.

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #195 of 870
I am now the owner of a Modi.
Hopefully it will arrive in the mail by mid next week.
Looking forward to listening to it for the first time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back