1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Modi USB DAC

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by barry s, Dec 12, 2012.
Tags:
First

Back
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
  1. dwinnert
    Anyone have pops when a song changes to another song with a different sample rate? Schiit says it is normal and it is the muting relay. But some people say they don't have this issue.

It is annoying.

2. Left Channel
    I do not experience that with a Modi 2U. It happened on another manufacturer's DAC (when switching between tracks in multiples of 44.1 vs. 48 kHz), and they fixed that with a firmware update. It is very annoying and you should not accept it.

3. GirgleMirt
    I don't have that issue either.
    Lately, I've been getting some static (random pops & cracks) and it started bothering me. I suspected the cable, so I switched the USB cable to a longer cable (10 foot?), and once it got detected, I instantly got 100x the static, constant unbearable cracking noise instead of a crack/pop every 15s. So I think my static issue is from a weaker/****tier front USB front port and/or USB cable which for some reason developed an issue...

So I finally bothered to look for my https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Brand-Saitek-Port-Mini/dp/B01MY7E1OF/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533992499&sr=8-3&keywords=saitek+hub]Saitek USB hub[/url], thinking I'd plug it in the mobo USB slot instead of front, assuming that a 'powered?' usb hub would fix the plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/works! issue, but it didn't! When I plug the hub, win10 instantly detects the hub, but when I plug in the modi, I get the same schit, "USB device not recognized", about 5s after plugging the modi. So the hub basically does nothing.

Is this because the hub isn't 'powered'? What does it mean for a USB hub to be powered? The Saitek hub has a light, it's detected by win10 as a hub, doesn't that make it powered? Shouldn't it have fixed the issue?
    :frowning2:

edit: also I just can't get another ~10 foot USB cable to work at all. Don't know how many unplugs/replugs, just won't work.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  4. Oklahoma
    Which version of the Modi do you have? If it is a version 1, usb powered only, people have started reporting similar issues and not long after having the Modi die completely.

The hub you have listed isn't a powered hub. While correct that if it shows the green light it has power a powered hub means that it accepts power from an outside source, not the computer, to supplement the power given from the computer. These will have some sort of a wall wart or power cord that needs to be plugged into an outlet for power. Take a look at this one. It is a well made powered one that would fit your criteria.

The hub is: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-...id=1534091024&sr=1-5&keywords=powered+usb+hub

If it doesn't fix it there is a high possibility the Modi could be going out and you would have to contact Schiit about it. One last thing to try is if you have access to another computer and see if it will work on it. If not then it is the Modi and if it works it is something with your computer or setup.

5. WhiteKnite
    Mine has been working 90% of the time since I got the new motherboard with high powered hubs, aside from a period of 2 weeks where it just completely stopped no matter what I did. Much better than working 10% before. But if it isn't detected I don't even get a USB error or anything any more. It just will not work no matter what, then I have to wait for it to work again randomly. Shiit has always insisted the issue is with Windows, so good luck contacting them for any non-detection support issues.

6. GirgleMirt
    Yeah version 1... Sad to hear, it already broke down and was sent to schiit for repair, now again? Sad... :frowning2: Guess I'll be looking for a new dac...

Thanks!

7. GirgleMirt
    I just tried hooking up the Modi to an old laptop running Ubuntu and it worked perfectly as soon as it was plugged in. I think the front computer USB port is toast due to wear with the constant plugging and unplugging. So I just broke down and ordered a powered hub.

It's unbelievable how Microsoft would ruin device connectivity just in the name of power savings. I mean way to piss off your user base; render their hardware devices unusable...

In other news, tried to connect my old Aune T1 and Ubuntu only detects it as 'Analog output' which obviously does not work as it needs analog. Sigh.

8. GirgleMirt
    Well good news, Hub arrived and everything now works perfectly. Should have done it a long time ago... Came down to like 4$, hub + power supply, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot...SB-2-0-Hub-USB-Splitter-With/32818443967.html so if anyone needs one, really at that price it's really a no brainer!

Also as a bonus I used an audio switcher (software) to switch from speakers to dac, now since the hub has a switch, I can just use the USB hub switch to turn the modi on and off and switch from speaker to headphones!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  9. highlightshadow
    Kinda mixed feelings about the modi3 i just got .... didn't realise you couldn't power it off. Prefer it when i can just power on the DAC and windows transfers audio control to it. With it powered on constantly i have to use windows controls to ensure the right device is playing the right sources.
    Or to "quickly" switch sources i have to edit preferences of certain apps.

Kinda really took the shine off it in a way :S

First

Back
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57