Schiit Modi USB DAC
Apr 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #136 of 870
Quote:
whoops. my bad.

BTW: if you want a bit-perfect SQ, you should always keep your windows and music player volume at 100%.

I don't believe too much in bit-perfect stuff. I will agree it is true, but for example lowering half the volume of something that reduces bits only reduces SQ by a couple bits, something that is barely perceivable, if perceivable at all. 

I'm just wondering if there's some other kind of device that would allow me to adjust volume with the Modi without having to reach behind the monitors and guess where the volume knob is. Perhaps some kind of volume modulation device adaptor? Not too keen on getting an amp as I don't use headphones on my PC, only my monitors, so I would have no use for it. 

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #137 of 870
Quote:
I don't believe too much in bit-perfect stuff. I will agree it is true, but for example lowering half the volume of something that reduces bits only reduces SQ by a couple bits, something that is barely perceivable, if perceivable at all. 

I'm just wondering if there's some other kind of device that would allow me to adjust volume with the Modi without having to reach behind the monitors and guess where the volume knob is. Perhaps some kind of volume modulation device adaptor? Not too keen on getting an amp as I don't use headphones on my PC, only my monitors, so I would have no use for it. 

I agree about the bit-perfect thing. I usually have my iTunes volume set to about 70%.

About the volume control, you can use a volume attenuator.(though, I'm not sure if there are any for RCA cables.)

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #138 of 870
So all in all, using the volume slider in foobar or the Windows volume control in the right bottom corner of the screen would actually increase or decrease the volume? If so, I'm buying me a Modi 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #141 of 870
Quote:

Yes, all of Schiit's USB devices are affected by Windows' volume control.

I'd like to disable the Windows volume control since I'm using my Modi with a preamp/power amp setup. On my Mac, it automatically gets disabled which I prefer. Anyone know how to do that? 

Apr 30, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #143 of 870
Now I'm debating whether to get the Audinst mx-1 over this, as it has volume adjustment. But would lowering that built in volume adjustment on the DAC lower quality as well, and is it worth the $80 premium? Haven't heard a single thing from any mx-1 owner about how it performs. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Apr 30, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #144 of 870
Quote:
Now I'm debating whether to get the Audinst mx-1 over this, as it has volume adjustment. But would lowering that built in volume adjustment on the DAC lower quality as well, and is it worth the $80 premium? Haven't heard a single thing from any mx-1 owner about how it performs. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I don't think that lowering built in volume would lower quality. I think it'd be just a volume attenuator. But I can't comment on the performance.

May 16, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #150 of 870
I think you'll find smartphones don't have the power for DACs without their own power supply. If you wanted, you might get away with a powered USB hub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back