Schiit Modi USB DAC
Apr 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #124 of 870
I just made an interesting observation with my Modi. I have been using it for a couple weeks, love the sound, no issues etc, until tonight...

I use mine with speakers, and tonight I was bored so I decided to see if I could notice a difference with a blanket on my desk to absorb the first reflection (I didn't). Every time I take the blanket off my desk the audio cuts out for a second from the Modi. Kind of strange.. I mean I know it is due to static build up, but wouldnt expect this. It doesn't happen if I take the Modi off my desk, so I know it is the culprit. I guess I will stop doing it!

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #125 of 870
Quote:
I just made an interesting observation with my Modi. I have been using it for a couple weeks, love the sound, no issues etc, until tonight...

I use mine with speakers, and tonight I was bored so I decided to see if I could notice a difference with a blanket on my desk to absorb the first reflection (I didn't). Every time I take the blanket off my desk the audio cuts out for a second from the Modi. Kind of strange.. I mean I know it is due to static build up, but wouldnt expect this. It doesn't happen if I take the Modi off my desk, so I know it is the culprit. I guess I will stop doing it!

I use one of my modi's in the same configuration. If I touch the modi after I've been walking around the room, it will cut out for a second. I wonder if grounding it would help?

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #127 of 870
Quote:

The only way to turn off the Modi is by unplugging its power, aka the USB? Any other methods?

Not while the computer's running, or if you use one of those USB ports that still draws power even with the computer switched off, used for charging devices over night. See if the charging current is still too high if the computer's on hibernate mode (test something like your phone, see if it's too slow), just take note there could still be some power running through it then but it might just be along the same output as a tablet's OTG feature, which is basically just enough to keep an indicator light (usually USB input, but on something like the Modi, the main power light, which is the only light on it). If you use some kind of voltage regulator after the surge protector you can shut down the regulator, but AFAIK (although I might be wrong), don't do that for the surge protector since it stops being that if it's switched off.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #128 of 870
Quote:
Just got the Modi and Magni. There is no power switch on the Modi? Magni has one.

The only way to turn off the Modi is by unplugging its power, aka the USB? Any other methods?

You can actually keep it on the whole time. It won't overheat or wear out by keeping it on. Although the light gets annoying at nights.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #129 of 870
I'm planning to purchase a Modi very soon to replace my PCI sound card to drive my powered Fostex PM0.4n monitors. Since the volume adjustment knobs are on the rear of the monitors, adjusting the volume can be a bit of a huge hassle. Wondering if there's some kind of product that would allow me to adjust digital volume while my monitors are connected to the DAC? I take it Windows volume no longer works at all if the DAC is connected to the PC? Including foobar?

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #130 of 870
I'm planning to purchase a Modi very soon to replace my PCI sound card to drive my powered Fostex PM0.4n monitors. Since the volume adjustment knobs are on the rear of the monitors, adjusting the volume can be a bit of a huge hassle. Wondering if there's some kind of product that would allow me to adjust digital volume while my monitors are connected to the DAC? I take it Windows volume no longer works at all if the DAC is connected to the PC? Including foobar?

On my PC, the Windows volume control (in the bottom right hand corner) is definitely capable of adjusting the volume.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #132 of 870
Oh really? So if I connect a Modi up to my PC via USB, only a Modi, no Magi, and hook up my studio monitors from the RCA out of the Modi, I can still adjust Windows volume? 

I've never tried doing that (I have the M&M combo), but I would assume that would work. After all, with my M&M combo, I can adjust the volume like that without touching the Magni's volume dial.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #133 of 870
Quote:
Oh really? So if I connect a Modi up to my PC via USB, only a Modi, no Magi, and hook up my studio monitors from the RCA out of the Modi, I can still adjust Windows volume? 

Actually, if your monitor isn't powered(plugged into a power source) and require power from the source, Modi will not be able to power a monitor. You will need a amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back