Schiit Modi USB DAC
Mar 7, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #691 of 870
Mine has done that a few times due to static. Turned it off and then back on and it worked fine. I posted about it a few days back on this thread. It did cause me mild distress the first couple times it happened...

Mar 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #692 of 870
Hi guys, I am comparing DACs and do not know how to choose.

Does anyone have heard Modi2 / Denon DA300 / Cambridge DacMagic Plus and could tell if there is huge difference between these stuffs?

Thank you!

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #693 of 870
Every once in a while, it'll do it to anything from YouTube to Bandcamp to Window's Media Player.
I don't really have a way to change the source until I build my workstation which will be some time around next year.
It's strange, I've had this laptop for a few years and I've never had this happen before I got this.
Meh, it's probably the Schiity cables.

Sorry for the super late reply, but my 9 year old mbp does that too when it's finding life difficult like having lots of tabs opened simultaneously, or just running Amarra. Probably running of of memory or faffing with the hdd or something.

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #695 of 870
I have a rather technical question about modi 2 uber.  Although it has its own linear power supply, the usb receiver chip still gets powered from the input usb.  But is it a one time thing (only for connection between the pc and dac) or continuously?

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #696 of 870
  I have a rather technical question about modi 2 uber.  Although it has its own linear power supply, the usb receiver chip still gets powered from the input usb.  But is it a one time thing (only for connection between the pc and dac) or continuously?

The data flows as long as you listen to music, so I would think that the USB receiver continues to get power from the source just as  the non Uber Modi.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #698 of 870
  Hi guys, I am comparing DACs and do not know how to choose.

Does anyone have heard Modi2 / Denon DA300 / Cambridge DacMagic Plus and could tell if there is huge difference between these stuffs?

Thank you!

Also interested to this question !

Apr 17, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #700 of 870
  How well with this DAC work with powered speakers? I currently have the Monoprice 5-inch Powered Studio Monitor Speakers

You would have to get the proper cables RCA to TS (Tip Sleeve) to connect with.The ony hassle is reaching behind the speakers to manipulate two volume controls for the seperate channels and getting it balanced (Left-Right). If you plan on using headphones, you could get a Magni 2 Uber and use the preamp outs to connect to the speakers, or instead you could use a SYS for its attenuator.

May 6, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #702 of 870
  is it ok if i just use this dac alone without any amp?

With what? If it's with powered speakers that have a Master-Slave design (one active, one passive speaker) than it's alright, you have a master volume control on the Master speaker. If it's a Pro active monitor you have to work two gain knobs, one on each active speaker. If it's a headphone, there isn't even a TRS jack to hook it up to.

May 6, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #703 of 870
  is it ok if i just use this dac alone without any amp?

No. It's not ok. Read: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/portable-entertainment/buying-guide/introduction-portable-hi-fi-audio

EDIT: It's like asking if it's ok to drive a car without wheels.

May 6, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #704 of 870

With what? If it's with powered speakers that have a Master-Slave design (one active, one passive speaker) than it's alright, you have a master volume control on the Master speaker. If it's a Pro active monitor you have to work two gain knobs, one on each active speaker. If it's a headphone, there isn't even a TRS jack to hook it up to.

Using with headphones. but it would work if i bought a cable like that right? http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Adapter-Female/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430901078&sr=1-1&keywords=2-Male+RCA+to+3.5mm+female

May 6, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #705 of 870
  Using with headphones. but it would work if i bought a cable like that right? http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Adapter-Female/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430901078&sr=1-1&keywords=2-Male+RCA+to+3.5mm+female

I already mentioned you wouldn't have a preamp stage to control the volume. The other problem will be that while the 2volt output of a DAC might be enough to get it loud enough, that doesn't mean it will be doing what an amplifier actually does, like provide current. You will not get a dynamic sound if you actually use this without an amp, but as to how bad it will be will depend on how much current your headphone needs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back