Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jan 22, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #661 of 870

My nearly exact same setup doesn't do that. Try changing the source or player software, may be?

Every once in a while, it'll do it to anything from YouTube to Bandcamp to Window's Media Player.
I don't really have a way to change the source until I build my workstation which will be some time around next year.
It's strange, I've had this laptop for a few years and I've never had this happen before I got this.
Meh, it's probably the Schiity cables.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #662 of 870
  So, I have a question about my setup (AKG Q701, Vali, and Modi), and I think it's an issue with my Modi.
Sometimes, when I'm playing music, the speed increases a little bit, and it sounds somewhat like nightcore.  It never changed from normal to this in the middle of a song.
My simple fix is to unplug the USB and plug it back in.
With the fix being so simple, I can't say that it's a problem, but I'd like to know why my DAC is trying to send me subliminal messages through nightcore.

I've had the same issue in the past with my original Modi. It would do it spontaneously, like yours. However, a sure way to trigger it would be to pause the music and put the computer to sleep. When I woke the computer and resumed playback, it would always be too fast.

The only solution I found was to run the DAC in exclusive mode. I use JRiver and that is an option in the program. This blocks any other program (and Windows itself) from sending data to the DAC while music is playing from JRiver.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #663 of 870
Has anybody tried upsampling with modi 2?  One of the nicest things about modi 2 imo is that it is capable of 24/192 decoding,unlike other usb dacs that extends only up to 24/96.  I am no technical guy but from what I understood upsampling's benefit is that the dac filters can work better, but I wonder if the modi 2 is one of those dacs in terms of its design.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #665 of 870
  AFAIK it plays the rate you feed it.  It doesn't upsample the original if that's your question.  Feed it 16/44.1 and you get 16/44.1 , 24/192 gets you 24/192.

That wasn't what I meant actually 
smile_phones.gif
 ,I was interested to know how many tried to feed it upsampled rate (24/192,24/176.4) , and on the more technical side - is the modi's design is a one that can benefit from upsampling (by the theory).

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #666 of 870
I'm not sure I follow what you mean.  It's capable of playing the stated rates.  Far far more important than any numbers game is how the recording was mastered.  The job of the DAC is to be transparent.  There is no need to upsample. 

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #667 of 870
  I'm not sure I follow what you mean.  It's capable of playing the stated rates.  Far far more important than any numbers game is how the recording was mastered.  The job of the DAC is to be transparent.  There is no need to upsample. 

You are totally missing the point my friend :)   the upsampling will be taking place in the pc software ,e.g feeding the modi 24/176.4 or 24/192 digital stream..it will still be transparent.  It is a matter of taste,some like upsampling and say that it sounds better to their ears.   
But my questions is if the modi is the kind of dac that can benefit from upsampling. Like I said, I am not an expert but from what I read and learned so far,upsampling theory is that it helps the dac to work better (e.g the dac filter section work better when fed with higher sample rate).   But there are a few dac designs out there  -  the modi is "delta sigma" I believe (again..not my specialty), and I wonder is the modi from the kind that can benefit from upsampling.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #668 of 870
I don't think I'm missing your point.  You're trying to tell me that is transparent (you did say it would still be transparent) can sound better to some people's ears?  I'm just going to scratch my head on that one.

Jan 28, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #669 of 870
  I don't think I'm missing your point.  You're trying to tell me that is transparent (you did say it would still be transparent) can sound better to some people's ears?  I'm just going to scratch my head on that one.

Transparent = what goes in goes out.. right?  than if you feed modi 24/192 sample rate that's what will come out eventually.    wheather one can hear it or not is irrelevant.  My question was a rather technical one,
I am not into discussing upsampling opinions really..

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #672 of 870
  That wasn't what I meant actually 
smile_phones.gif
 ,I was interested to know how many tried to feed it upsampled rate (24/192,24/176.4) , and on the more technical side - is the modi's design is a one that can benefit from upsampling (by the theory).

As far as the Modi goes, what goes in comes out. But as far as upsampling goes, how can anyone expect anything to magically appear that was never there in the first place?

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #674 of 870
A ferrite bead on the USB cable did the trick for me, and eliminated all popping noise from the Modi.

I also have noise... Scrolling the mouse, when hard drives (ssd/hd) are accessed, etc

I was wondering if Coax and/or Toslink bring the same issue??

Anyone here with the same issue and have actually resolved it?   I remember last night, it was horrible, electric noise, it calms down sometime when I reboot the computer but well... This morning, back to "normal" noise without rebooting... But this is driving me crazy eheh I'm thinking about updating the Schiit Dac to one with Coax/Toslink..

Thanks for all feedback!! :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #675 of 870
  As far as the Modi goes, what goes in comes out. But as far as upsampling goes, how can anyone expect anything to magically appear that was never there in the first place?

Upsampling is not about adding new information, it has other purpose.  it suppose to help the dac work better (Already said that like maybe 5 times). 
But this is not a upsampling thread so let's leave it..just asked simple question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back