Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jan 18, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #631 of 870
  Without proper schematice you are asking for guesswork. Why not email Schiit and ask?
Did you order your Modi yet?

No I didn't..still debating between the uber and the not uber models 
bigsmile_face.gif
..god the frustration.  I just thought that maybe the more technical experienced fellows here will know.   
I want to know if a usb ONLY dac will benefit from a wall wart linear power supply or if in the end it will be just the same as usb power.  For the linearity I have the wyrd so I don't worry about lousy usb power,But I thought that maybe an outlet will still provide better power(hence better sound).
The uber uses the power coming from the usb only for the usb input, does that mean the usb reciever chip?     Do all dacs with usb input that also have power outlet work like that?

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #632 of 870
I just sent them an email..hope they will be kind enough to answer.  I think it is a legitimate question.   I would just get the uber and get it over with..But I am really short in money.  will only glad to spend that extra 50 if there is a definite improvement (it even doesn't have to be audible..I am asking for the scientific facts here).

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #633 of 870
  No I didn't..still debating between the uber and the not uber models 
bigsmile_face.gif
..god the frustration.  I just thought that maybe the more technical experienced fellows here will know.   
I want to know if a usb ONLY dac will benefit from a wall wart linear power supply or if in the end it will be just the same as usb power.  For the linearity I have the wyrd so I don't worry about lousy usb power,But I thought that maybe an outlet will still provide better power(hence better sound).

There is no way to know if the Uber uses USB power (as of now), which is why you should ask Schiit.

With that said, even if the wall-wart supplies "better power", the SQ differences are probably negligible to non-existent (as far as human hearing goes) unless you have horrible USB power, which is where the Wyrd would come in.

I would base the decision on the inputs you need (looks too, if that is important to you 
bigsmile_face.gif
).

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #634 of 870
  I just sent them an email..hope they will be kind enough to answer.  I think it is a legitimate question.   I would just get the uber and get it over with..But I am really short in money.  will only glad to spend that extra 50 if there is a definite improvement (it even doesn't have to be audible..I am asking for the scientific facts here).

You'll more than likely get a response from Nick. Nick is an awesome guy. He'll explain whatever it is needed to explain if you ask the questions in detail enough for him to answer. He also usually answers on weekends too :)

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #635 of 870
  There is no way to know if the Uber uses USB power (as of now), which is why you should ask Schiit.

With that said, even if the wall-wart supplies "better power", the SQ differences are probably negligible to non-existent (as far as human hearing goes) unless you have horrible USB power, which is where the Wyrd would come in.

I would base the decision on the inputs you need (looks too, if that is important to you 
bigsmile_face.gif
).

They both look quite the same to me..aren't they?  which one do you think looks better?   If I would choose only by input needs than the modi2 (non uber) will suffice as I only use usb from the computer.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #636 of 870
  You'll more than likely get a response from Nick. Nick is an awesome guy. He'll explain whatever it is needed to explain if you ask the questions in detail enough for him to answer. He also usually answers on weekends too :)

Hope you are right. They did refuse to answer about the improved analog stage of the uber..I don't know why this is a secret,we deserve to know all the technical details behind what we pay our good money for.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #637 of 870
  They both look quite the same to me..aren't they?  which one do you think looks better?   If I would choose only by input needs than the modi2 (non uber) will suffice as I only use usb from the computer.

The Uber is aluminum (aluminum nob/button as well for Magni/Modi respectively) while the non-Uber is painted steel. I personally prefer the look of the aluminum, but I've always loved that brushed look.

Since you just need USB, I would go for the non-Uber and use the Wyrd since you have it. However, it wouldn't hurt to wait for the email response from Schiit; in my experience they usually ship same business day (when 1 - 3 business days is specified), so even if you are delayed until tomorrow it will probably go out the same day.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #638 of 870

bigsmile_face.gif
).

Actually, there's an easy way to find out if it uses USB power, plug it in to your computer without plugging in the wall wart and see if your computer finds it. If it does (which it will), then at least the USB receiver portion is USB-powered.

From my understanding, the majority in the uber is powered by the wall-wart, but the USB chip is USB-powered so that it doesn't connect/disconnect from your computer whenever you turn your DAC on or off. At least that's how all their other DACs work so far (yes, Bifrost and Mjolnir's USB inputs are powered through USB).

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #639 of 870
   At least that's how all their other DACs work so far (yes, Bifrost and Mjolnir's USB inputs are powered through USB).

Thank you for that info.   I have another question: In both cases of usb powered dac and wall wart powered, the dac uses exactly the same amount of power/electricity?  only in the former case the power comes from usb instead of the wall? (I apologize if this is getting a little too technical for this thread but I will not go any further beyond this question).

Is modi2 + wyrd = modi2uber? (let's assume the uber only had usb input)

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #640 of 870
Just ordered the uber stack + rca cables.  hope it will get here till the end of the week.  thanks everyone for the help,including nick from schiit who kindly answered my email question.    Really excited about this.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #641 of 870
  Just ordered the uber stack + rca cables.  hope it will get here till the end of the week.  thanks everyone for the help,including nick from schiit who kindly answered my email question.    Really excited about this.

So you've finally stopped pondering and ordered the Full Monty. Now that you've gone from worrying to waiting, you should be very happy once you start listening after it arrives. Have fun.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #642 of 870
  Thank you for that info.   I have another question: In both cases of usb powered dac and wall wart powered, the dac uses exactly the same amount of power/electricity?  only in the former case the power comes from usb instead of the wall? (I apologize if this is getting a little too technical for this thread but I will not go any further beyond this question).

Is modi2 + wyrd = modi2uber? (let's assume the uber only had usb input)

That I couldn't say for sure, but I'd guess probably not. If USB isn't plugged in then the USB-specific components probably aren't powered, so using optical or coax probably uses slightly less power overall.

Pretty sure Wyrd does more to reclock and repower USB than Modi 2 Uber does. But from initial reports it does appear that the Uber is less affected by the Wyrd since it has a separate power supply.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #643 of 870
  So you've finally stopped pondering and ordered the Full Monty. Now that you've gone from worrying to waiting, you should be very happy once you start listening after it arrives. Have fun.

Thanks dude!  

That I couldn't say for sure, but I'd guess probably not. If USB isn't plugged in then the USB-specific components probably aren't powered, so using optical or coax probably uses slightly less power overall.

Pretty sure Wyrd does more to reclock and repower USB than Modi 2 Uber does. But from initial reports it does appear that the Uber is less affected by the Wyrd since it has a separate power supply.

I will first try the modi uber without the wyrd and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back