Schiit Modi USB DAC
Jul 15, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #721 of 870
Been using modi drivers with win 10Preview, for a few weeks now no problem.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #723 of 870
Don't think I did anything special just installed drivers, (Schiit_USB_1_03). Its been awhile, now working with Win 10.0 Build 10240

Jul 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #724 of 870
  Don't think I did anything special just installed drivers, (Schiit_USB_1_03). Its been awhile, now working with Win 10.0 Build 10240

Sure enough, this works fine. I was trying to install the newer (Schiit Unified USB Drivers 1.11) driver set. Unfortunately, with this version I can't set the output rate above 24/96 but that's not a big deal at the moment. Thanks for your help!

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #726 of 870
Does anybody have an opinion on the modi together with the lyr?

I have them both and they sound very good together.  Compared to my Creative SB-Z the modi is warmer and doesn't sound as harsh but not as defined in the bass. So it can be more forgiving on worse recordings but on the same note not quite as detailed.  Comparison made on Senn. HD800's. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #727 of 870
I fear my Modi is dead..
Whenever i connect it to my computer windows reports USB error 43.
I have tried all usb 2 and usb 3 ports.
2 different brands of external powerd usb hubs.
2 different cables.
And i still get the error :S
Do i send it back to the store or is there anything else i can try?

EDIT: I forgot to mention something wierd. When i try and connect the modi to my powerd usb 2 hub.
The hub gets disabled in windows device manager. And all other devices on it stop functioning...
I have to reset the hub each time this happens.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #728 of 870
anyone own both a E-MU USB DAC and one of these?
says it uses the AKM4396 which i believe is the same as in the 0204/0404 USB...
very curious to see if it sounds any different!!! would be interested to replace one of my many E-MU with it, especially for ability to use without drivers (At least up to a reasonable enough sample rate) :)

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #729 of 870
Hi guys,
I've got an audioengine N2 amp and will be running Sennheiser HD650 through them. Thinking about investing in a cheap DAC one day, just wondering if the Modi 2 would be OK to run in the audioengine (or does it need to run with the magni?)

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #730 of 870
Hi guys,
I've got an audioengine N2 amp and will be running Sennheiser HD650 through them. Thinking about investing in a cheap DAC one day, just wondering if the Modi 2 would be OK to run in the audioengine (or does it need to run with the magni?)

As long as the N2 amp has RCA inputs to receive from the DAC, it will work.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #731 of 870
Hello! Am I correct in thinking the Modi 2 can play back 44.1kHz content natively? I ask because I use an X-Fi HD, which appears to use the same AK4396 chip, but apparently can't do 44.1kHz without resampling.

I've asked about this here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/790237/x-fi-hd-digital-music-premium-hd-query

...and it has been a pretty unsuccessful thread so far.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It is explained that the X-Fi can't do 44.1 because it is missing a 'crystal'... that I guess the Modi 2 must have?

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #732 of 870
Hello! Am I correct in thinking the Modi 2 can play back 44.1kHz content natively? I ask because I use an X-Fi HD, which appears to use the same AK4396 chip, but apparently can't do 44.1kHz without resampling.

I've asked about this here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/790237/x-fi-hd-digital-music-premium-hd-query

...and it has been a pretty unsuccessful thread so far.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It is explained that the X-Fi can't do 44.1 because it is missing a 'crystal'... that I guess the Modi 2 must have?

From my understanding, Modi 2 has a 44.1 and 48 (or multiples thereof) clock, so while it may upsample/oversample, it's doing it at a whole number multiple (versus converting everything to 48k for example), which should be better.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #733 of 870
From my understanding, Modi 2 has a 44.1 and 48 (or multiples thereof) clock, so while it may upsample/oversample, it's doing it at a whole number multiple (versus converting everything to 48k for example), which should be better.

I see. The suggestion is that the X-Fi HD has to use Windows' DirectSound to resample any 44.1kHz track to 48kHz to play it back, and this reduces quality and colours the sound. Would that be a fair statement?

I've been using this X-Fi HD for years in blissful ignorance, but now I'm looking to make a step forward with a better set of cans and a dedicated amp. My hope was to continue to use the X-Fi HD as just a DAC, as I knew it used a decent AKM chip, but with this new information I'm having second thoughts and wondering if buying something like the Modi 2 would make a significant difference, considering it uses the same chip... I'm told it's 'not all about the chip' though...

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #734 of 870
I know I've heard of a number of SoundBlaster products resampling everything to 48kHz, but couldn't say for sure if that's what yours does. Yes, in theory that could be reducing quality, but I would also point out that there's a pretty good chance that it's completely inaudible, and personally I wouldn't use that as a reason to get a better/different DAC. I'd say the rest of the DAC design is much more likely to make a difference than whether or not it resamples everything. Unfortunately, I also can't say whether or not you'll notice any difference with the Modi 2; I would anticipate the technical measurements to be just a bit better with the Modi 2, but personally I find DAC differences rather hard to hear, so only you can find out if it makes a noticeable difference to you.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #735 of 870
  I know I've heard of a number of SoundBlaster products resampling everything to 48kHz, but couldn't say for sure if that's what yours does. Yes, in theory that could be reducing quality, but I would also point out that there's a pretty good chance that it's completely inaudible, and personally I wouldn't use that as a reason to get a better/different DAC. I'd say the rest of the DAC design is much more likely to make a difference than whether or not it resamples everything. Unfortunately, I also can't say whether or not you'll notice any difference with the Modi 2; I would anticipate the technical measurements to be just a bit better with the Modi 2, but personally I find DAC differences rather hard to hear, so only you can find out if it makes a noticeable difference to you.

That makes sense, and I think you're right - I need to bite the bullet and try a better DAC just to satisfy my curiosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back