Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,126 of 3,541
Just one maybe stupid question :

i don't see any release button above the xlr connectors on the front panel where you connect your headphones.At least from the photos floating around the net.
How do you remove the xlr plugs of the headphone cable from the amp??

thanks

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #1,127 of 3,541
Quote:
Just one maybe stupid question :

i don't see any release button above the xlr connectors on the front panel where you connect your headphones.At least from the photos floating around the net.
How do you remove the xlr plugs of the headphone cable from the amp??

thanks

They aren't locked, same as the Bryston which I believe they offer as an option or used to according to the literature.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,128 of 3,541
The FOTM on the Mjolnir is so great that it's rumored to beat out the forthcoming statement amp which has yet to be designed.

The statement amp is actually pretty far along. Not sure if we're still on target for 2012 release, but it shouldn't be far off. The statement dac is apparently giving them trouble so it will be a bit delayed.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,129 of 3,541
Quote:

• It's less money.
  • You can have arguably one of the best solid-state head-amps currently available.
  • The Statement amp doesn't exist.

+1

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,130 of 3,541
Quote:

The Mjolnir is good, but not that good.

• It's less money.
  • You can have arguably one of the best solid-state head-amps currently available.
  • The Statement amp doesn't exist.

LOL, and with our record of missed delivery dates, do you really want to go by our guesses?

That's why all the new products will be "silence, silence, silence . . . bam! You can buy now and they are in stock." You know, like a real company.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #1,132 of 3,541
Quote:

LOL, and with our record of missed delivery dates, do you really want to go by our guesses?

That's why all the new products will be "silence, silence, silence . . . bam! You can buy now and they are in stock." You know, like a real company.

Never get to hear that, here in Dubai

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,133 of 3,541
I've had the Mjolnir for a week so I thought I could provide some impressions. First of all I think it's a fantastic amp for the money and I agree with most of what as been said about it : fast, dynamic, clean, deep bass ... But I still prefer my 3 channel B22 (Rockhopper built) with the T1. Not by a wide margin though which says alot about the value of the Mjolnir considering that I paid more than 1 600 $ for the B22. One thing that I prefer on the B22 is the soundstage. I totally agree with Solude when he talks about 3-blob soundstage of the Mjolnir.  But to me the weird thing about the Mjolnir's soundstage is it's is "height" ! I know it may sound strange or silly but when I listen to the B22 and then switch to the Mjolnir I feel like the "height" of the soundstage collapses, it feels compressed. It's really hard to describe but it feels strange to me. It sounds less "spacy" and "airy" (I really hate using those words but that's the best I can do. I have a hard time describing it even in my native language !).The second thing that I prefer on the B22 is the "texture" of the sound ( I sound almost esoteric!), mostly of accoustic instruments. On the Mjolnir the bass is deep and has a lot of slam but I don't hear any "nuance" or "texture". On the B22 when I listen to accoustic bass I can hear a bit of "grain" in the sound on well recorded CD, I can hear really subtle variation in the tone. I hear nothing of this on the Mjolnir. The best comparison I can make is electric bass vs bass played on a synth. 

Anyway I'm nitpicking ... The Mjolnir is a great amp and I haven't heard anything in it's price range that was better or close to it (except maybe the MKVI+). I haven't tried it with the LCD-2 (I sold them a long time ago) but I can tell from the sound signature of the Mjolnir that it was designed to pair with them,

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #1,134 of 3,541
Quote:
I've had the Mjolnir for a week so I thought I could provide some impressions. First of all I think it's a fantastic amp for the money and I agree with most of what as been said about it : fast, dynamic, clean, deep bass ... But I still prefer my 3 channel B22 (Rockhopper built) with the T1. Not by a wide margin though which says alot about the value of the Mjolnir considering that I paid more than 1 600 $ for the B22. One thing that I prefer on the B22 is the soundstage. I totally agree with Solude when he talks about 3-blob soundstage of the Mjolnir.  But to me the weird thing about the Mjolnir's soundstage is it's is "height" ! I know it may sound strange or silly but when I listen to the B22 and then switch to the Mjolnir I feel like the "height" of the soundstage collapses, it feels compressed. It's really hard to describe but it feels strange to me. It sounds less "spacy" and "airy" (I really hate using those words but that's the best I can do. I have a hard time describing it even in my native language !).The second thing that I prefer on the B22 is the "texture" of the sound ( I sound almost esoteric!), mostly of accoustic instruments. On the Mjolnir the bass is deep and has a lot of slam but I don't hear any "nuance" or "texture". On the B22 when I listen to accoustic bass I can hear a bit of "grain" in the sound on well recorded CD, I can hear really subtle variation in the tone. I hear nothing of this on the Mjolnir. The best comparison I can make is electric bass vs bass played on a synth. 

Anyway I'm nitpicking ... The Mjolnir is a great amp and I haven't heard anything in it's price range that was better or close to it (except maybe the MKVI+). I haven't tried it with the LCD-2 (I sold them a long time ago) but I can tell from the sound signature of the Mjolnir that it was designed to pair with them,

Any direct comparison to the MKVI+?  One thing I certainly appreciate with the MKVI+ is the texture and smoothness it provides. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #1,137 of 3,541
Quote:

Hi rattesp,

It's now time to Shootout Take II at my house with your Mjolnir and my Bryston with the T1 and LCD-2.2.

dleblanc343 will certainly like to hear the Mjolnir too. He could bring his HD-800 and HE-500. There is another member of the forum, Benjamin who has HE-6 and LCD-3. Maybe he could be available too?

Apparently, it's gonna rain all day on saturday. Good day for listening sessions!

Anyway, let me know if you're interested in the comparaison when you will be available (by the way, the Bryston's sound changed significantly since you heard it).

Steve

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #1,138 of 3,541
Quote:

This is exactly what I've been waiting to hear
I'm using the lcd2's ,& expect delivery on Tuesday of the mjolnir..

Seriously contemplating getting the he-6 as well,....just cant make up my mind..some people are telling me that the he-6 & mjolnir..sounds a bit like a Grado.
Anyone have he-6 & mjolnir ,like to chime in here??

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #1,140 of 3,541
Quote:

This is exactly what I've been waiting to hear
I'm using the lcd2's ,& expect delivery on Tuesday of the mjolnir..

Seriously contemplating getting the he-6 as well,....just cant make up my mind..some people are telling me that the he-6 & mjolnir..sounds a bit like a Grado.
Anyone have he-6 & mjolnir ,like to chime in here??

Now that would be something.
I do have the HE-6 but the Mjolnir arrives only by this month end...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back