Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Sep 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #1,141 of 3,541
Quote:
I'd like to hear your impressions of the Mjolnir and the LCD2. Seems like a rare pairing here.

confused_face_2.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,142 of 3,541
Quote:
Hi rattesp,

It's now time to Shootout Take II at my house with your Mjolnir and my Bryston with the T1 and LCD-2.2.

dleblanc343 will certainly like to hear the Mjolnir too. He could bring his HD-800 and HE-500. There is another member of the forum, Benjamin who has HE-6 and LCD-3. Maybe he could be available too?

Apparently, it's gonna rain all day on saturday. Good day for listening sessions!

Anyway, let me know if you're interested in the comparaison when you will be available (by the way, the Bryston's sound changed significantly since you heard it).

Steve

Hey Steve, what about next friday? I already spoke to ben and he's available, and rattesp said we can go to his place on that date ( or we can go to yours, up to you guys). I'll have my own HE-6 by then too, so we can do a lcd2/3, he500/6, hd800, t1 and bha-1, mjolnir, ef-6 and b22 shootout!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,143 of 3,541
Quote:
Hey Steve, what about next friday? I already spoke to ben and he's available, and rattesp said we can go to his place on that date ( or we can go to yours, up to you guys). I'll have my own HE-6 by then too, so we can do a lcd2/3, he500/6, hd800, t1 and bha-1, mjolnir, ef-6 and b22 shootout!

That makes for a great mini meet.  Have fun.  Come back with good impressions.

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,144 of 3,541
Quote:
One thing that I prefer on the B22 is the soundstage. I totally agree with Solude when he talks about 3-blob soundstage of the Mjolnir.  But to me the weird thing about the Mjolnir's soundstage is it's is "height" ! I know it may sound strange or silly but when I listen to the B22 and then switch to the Mjolnir I feel like the "height" of the soundstage collapses, it feels compressed.

For those who consider headstage crucial, I noted, after someone pointed it out to me, that the Mjolnir's headstage is not very deep in terms of instrument positioning. So as to not confuse (or perhaps further confuse), I still do consider the MJ "open" or alive sounding rather than "closed-in". The headstage is wide though.

Headstage isn't one of my priorities with headphones though, although it's nice to have. Just thought people should know that I don't bother with this aspect much.

Quote:

This is exactly what I've been waiting to hear
I'm using the lcd2's ,& expect delivery on Tuesday of the mjolnir..

Seriously contemplating getting the he-6 as well,....just cant make up my mind..some people are telling me that the he-6 & mjolnir..sounds a bit like a Grado.
Anyone have he-6 & mjolnir ,like to chime in here??

Don't forget the HE5 or HE5-LE. Everyone forgets about it. It's basically an HE6 with less etch. I feel it's just as capable too.

On the HD800: I had no issues with the HD800. Great explosive low bass. Hits the low low notes nice and tight. I even had no issues with Jason's special HD800 which had the worse treble harshness of any HD800 I've ever heard (I had four HD800s sitting in front of me last week for measurements). The MJ however is not that kind of amp that will make your HD800s into HP1000s though. I'm not even sure if such an amp is a good thing.

Quote:
Hi rattesp,

Anyway, let me know if you're interested in the comparaison when you will be available (by the way, the Bryston's sound changed significantly since you heard it).

Steve

A little bit off-topic, but what's up with that? Anax and I noted the BHA-1 changed a lot since we've had it. We think we are going crazy or something.

Sep 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #1,145 of 3,541
Oh crap. I like the layers instead of the width. 
Quote:
For those who consider headstage crucial, I noted, after someone pointed it out to me, that the Mjolnir's headstage is not very deep in terms of instrument positioning. So as to not confuse (or perhaps further confuse), I still do consider the MJ "open" or alive sounding rather than "closed-in". The headstage is wide though.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,146 of 3,541
can you elaborate on what "less etch" than HE-6 means? reason being is that i have an HE-5 and am thrilled with it, however even with bifrost/lyr i find it very sibilance prone and quite fatiguing at times. its such an amazing phone for having that one song in mind that you want to jam out to, however its very difficult for me to leave them on for an entire album/playlist.

if you thing the HE-6 isn't much different than what i have, then maybe i should stop with the endless lust for $1000+ phones that won't be much of an improvement.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,147 of 3,541
Quote:
can you elaborate on what "less etch" than HE-6 means? reason being is that i have an HE-5 and am thrilled with it, however even with bifrost/lyr i find it very sibilance prone and quite fatiguing at times. its such an amazing phone for having that one song in mind that you want to jam out to, however its very difficult for me to leave them on for an entire album/playlist.

if you thing the HE-6 isn't much different than what i have, then maybe i should stop with the endless lust for $1000+ phones that won't be much of an improvement.

I find myself in a similar set of shoes as you. I had the HE-5, and ended up only being able to listen to certain music. Yes, the HE-6 is much less shrill than the HE-5. However, it really improves and becomes more balanced with a good amp. Unfortunately, the HE-6 is a very revealing can. In fact, I only listen to it when I have a specific music player open, with a specific set of Hi Res music. It's difficult to listen to the HE-6 with poorly recorded music. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,148 of 3,541
I much prefer the HE5 to the HE6, especially after a pleather pad change or better.  The velour pads w/ the filter in front don't do it any services.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #1,149 of 3,541
I've never heard the LE version, but I'm pretty sure that extended listening to the HE5 permanently damaged my hearing. Or perhaps I should say that I stuck with it and now I'm not as sensitive to treble peaks.

Sep 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #1,150 of 3,541
Last few posts referring to the HE-500 maybe?  I think its a do over of the HE-6 to correct the design decisions that were umm dumb.

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #1,151 of 3,541
Quote:
Last few posts referring to the HE-500 maybe?  I think its a do over of the HE-6 to correct the design decisions that were umm dumb.

I believe they are referring to the HE-5LE.

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,153 of 3,541
Quote:

Sure. Count me in Dan.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,154 of 3,541
Quote:

A little bit off-topic, but what's up with that? Anax and I noted the BHA-1 changed a lot since we've had it. We think we are going crazy or something.

I don't know but the changes are not subtle. I really like the smoother and fuller presentation but still with high details presentation it has now comparing with the first two months or so I have it. Possibility of listening fatigue seems out of the way now, or at least greatly reduced.

Sep 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #1,155 of 3,541
Quote:
I don't know but the changes are not subtle. I really like the smoother and fuller presentation but still with high details presentation it has now comparing with the first two months or so I have it. Possibility of listening fatigue seems out of the way now, or at least greatly reduced.

So your sig changed after a few months of running too then.  That's about the same time Maxvla had his BHA-1 running before I got it and it changed on us.  Hmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back