Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #811 of 3,541
What tubes are you using in your LD MK6+? 
Looking forward to listen to the Mjolnir at the UK Can meet in September and compare it to my  LD 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Got back from NYC on my 2 weeks time with family.  As soon I got home plugged the Mjolnir and let it warm up for like 20 mins.  Then some listening with my LCD-2 rev.2 I can easily hear the difference compared to my LD MK6+ and Eximus DP-1.  I let it burn for a whole night using the LCD-2.  In the morning listened some more and this is my early impression on it.

Compared to the MK6 the Mjolnir is has better detail and better channel separation.  It has a slightly less weight to the sound than the MK6. 
Tubes come to play here. 

The Eximus DP-1 have always been a little underpowered for the LCD-2 imo.  Could not make the LCD-2 sing like the Schiit and LD. 

But what really impress me the most was how much better it matched with the Yamaha HP-1.  I have 2 HP-1, one in stock and another recable to 4pin.  I can easily hear how much better the HP1 and Mjolnir is compared to the DP-1 and HP-1.  Its like a veil has been lifted.  Its like a comparing a stock T50rp to a modded Paradox.  Yeap its that good when using a HP-1 and Mjolnir.

Still have a couple more phones to listen with the Schiit but man the Mjolnir and HP-1 sure sounds wonderful.  Gonna do some a/b comparison soon with LCD-2 and HP-1 since both are 4 pins and got a dual 3pin to 4 pin converter so I can listen without having to unplug one or the other.  Thanks to Steve from  Q Audio for the adapter. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #812 of 3,541
Quote:
What tubes are you using in your LD MK6+? 
Looking forward to listen to the Mjolnir at the UK Can meet in September and compare it to my  LD 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I got to compare them this last weekend and I had similar impressions as Neogeo333. The Mjolnir was a little more detailed than my MK6, and a little more air. The MK6 was more musical and smooth across the midrange and treble. I'm running realistic gold pins in front and raytheons in the back. I think some of the detail loss was from the raytheons as they are a little dark. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #813 of 3,541

Quote:
If it is me you're talking about I greatly appriciate people taking the time to share their impression, good and bad. What else would be the point of a thread like this?

All I'm saying is that we can be a little respectful towards Bryston, Burson, Schiit & the B22 as well. It doesn't take much; just add such small words as "compared to", "slightly", "I found the XYZ a litte bit more", "maybe" or "my impression were that" etc.

Simply putting adjectives or nebulous terms in front of descriptors is still too disrespectful. 

Quote:
I'm arguing with that - I'm simply saying that "slow and veiled", "V-shaped" and "fuzzy highs" are pretty harsh words in the overall scheme of things.

Therefore I suggest a more roundabout approach. For example, the above three phrases could be easily be reworded to: "counterpoint to the bustle", "redolent of garlic", "intoxicated velvet".

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #815 of 3,541

Quote:
I got to compare them this last weekend and I had similar impressions as Neogeo333. The Mjolnir was a little more detailed than my MK6, and a little more air. The MK6 was more musical and smooth across the midrange and treble. I'm running realistic gold pins in front and raytheons in the back. I think some of the detail loss was from the raytheons as they are a little dark. 

I agree the Mjolnir could be smoother sounding for some, (I believe I even mentioned that it didn't have the treble smoothness of vintage 4V DHTs in an earlier post). But for a neutral solid-state amp, this is what I would expect: the HD800 (no mods, no cables) should be slightly grainy sounding.

There are sonic consequences to too much smoothness and much of it is based on personal taste. For reference, the B22 and BHA-1 are smoother. The Peak and Arete are edgier. And some modestly priced Chinese or super expensive 6Moons approved stuff: 
eek.gif
Not that the Mjolnir was grainy or strident by any means. Otherwise I would have given Jason a very funny "What" look at the H3 meet instead of a thumbs up. To me, the Mjolnir was just right, and what I would have wanted for a neutral sounding SS amp. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #816 of 3,541
Quote:

I agree the Mjolnir could be smoother sounding for some, (I believe I even mentioned that it didn't have the treble smoothness of vintage 4V DHTs in an earlier post). But for a neutral solid-state amp, this is what I would expect: the HD800 (no mods, no cables) should be slightly grainy sounding.

There are sonic consequences to too much smoothness and much of it is based on personal taste. For reference, the B22 and BHA-1 are smoother. The Peak and Arete are edgier. And some modestly priced Chinese stuff 
eek.gif

eek.gif

eek.gif
Not that the Mjolnir was grainy or strident by any means. Otherwise I would have given Jason a very funny What look at the H3 meet instead of a thumbs up. To me, the Mjolnir was just right, and what I would have wanted for a neutral sounding SS amp. 

You want to pick a fight with me now?!?!?! 

But I do agree with you on most parts, except the BHA-1. Well, I might agree with you. I guess I found it to be so dry I didn't get much of a detailed listen. I was bummed I didn't get to meet you at the meet, but now I definitely know who you are. I was right behind you when you gave Jason that big thumbs up. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #817 of 3,541
Well here's the thing with the BHA-1. Anaxilus swore that the BHA-1 sounded a certain way: "dry, fast, bright, but still decently smooth," until he brought it over to my place for a comparison. We let the BHA-1 warm up for about 1.5 hours and came back to it. That's when the reality distortion field hit. I didn't think the BHA-1 sounded bright or dry at all. In fact, we thought the S7 (a tube amp) out "solid-stated" the BHA-1. So that left him scratching his head. 

My room was about 85F though. We even measured line voltage in my house. Maybe it sounds different in hotter environments, or the electrolytic caps melt after 100 hours.

I was in the yellow UCLA shirt at H3 and hauling stuff or getting stuff for other people most of the time.

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #818 of 3,541
Quote:
Well here's the thing with the BHA-1. Anaxilus swore that the BHA-1 sounded a certain way: "dry, fast, bright, but still decently smooth," until he brought it over to my place for a comparison. We let the BHA-1 warm up for about 1.5 hours and came back to it. That's when the reality distortion field hit. I didn't think the BHA-1 sounded bright or dry at all. In fact, we thought the S7 (a tube amp) out "solid-stated" the BHA-1. So that left him scratching his head. 

My room was about 85F though. We even measured line voltage in my house. Maybe it sounds different in hotter environments, or the electrolytic caps melt after 100 hours.

I was in the yellow UCLA shirt at H3 and hauling stuff or getting stuff for other people most of the time.

I was the one that complimented the shirt at the Schiit stand :)

Interesting comments on the BHA-1. I listened to it fairly early on in the meet, so maybe I didn't get to hear it all warmed up.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #819 of 3,541
Quote:

I've had amps that would go all weird-sounding and mushy at 200-250 hours or so then back to normal after another ~50. I worked out it was the heat affecting components.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #820 of 3,541
When I have the BHA-1 at home I have it sitting by itself nothing under or on it so it's free to radiate through the chassis in all directions, I usually keep my room around 75-78. I don't know how that could make much difference, but there it is.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #821 of 3,541
That's why I leave my gear on.  Always thermally stable.  If something only sounds good cold, you what turn it off after an hour?  No thanks.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #823 of 3,541
I turn it on when I get home, then off when I go to bed. No way I'm going to pay the air conditioning bill for it burning away all the time.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #825 of 3,541
Quote:

All I'm saying is that we can be a little respectful towards Bryston, Burson, Schiit & the B22 as well. It doesn't take much; just add such small words as "compared to", "slightly", "I found the XYZ a litte bit more", "maybe" or "my impression were that" etc.

So what you want is a forum full of corporate shills, who are here to hype amps and push more brainless consumerism.  Why don't you come over and give me a foot massage before you kiss my schiit mjolnir. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back