Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 20, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #781 of 3,541
Quote:
From memory having heard the B22 numerous times (4 board and 2 board). To nitpick, I've always felt the B22 treble was overly smooth and the bass not articulate enough - kind of mushy - with the 2ch. A little too polite for my tastes. I did hear a 4 board B22 the same day, but it was from a different DAC.

So what was the verdict on the 4-channel?

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #782 of 3,541
Both B22s I had shared a rounded character.  Polite, smooth, high resolution but rounded.  The B22 just doesn't bite.  Up top it makes it soft, down low bloomy.  Better than most, not better than the best.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #785 of 3,541
Heard the Mjolnir yesterday, straight out of the box, via an Esoteric D-07X and into the Audeze LCD3, A/B'd against the Burson Soloist from the same source (albeit via the RCA out this time).

I'd love to combine these amps.

The Mjolnir was a fun listening experience, but I felt that its focus and articulation were slightly softer than the Burson. Burson's images were slightly weightier and better defined, particularly down low. Burson also has more treble energy, whereas the Mjolnir has a smoother top end.

However, listening to tbe Burson, the soundstage was quite tightly walled-in, whereas with the Mjolnir, the walls literally fell away, creating a much more free, speaker-like presentation. I loved this about the Schiit amp.

My perfect 'budget' amp would be to combine the two: greater focus and articulation, together with an expansive soundstage.

This has me looking very much forward to the 'Statement' amp at year's end.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #786 of 3,541
Quote:

Still polite, but with better articulation in the bass. Solude's comments nail it down. Couldn't have put it better. I like music to have bite when it calls for it.

I have different results with my B22.  I get lots of punch and the attack (bite) is good as well.  The down low bass and the mid bass are both tight, very well controlled and not bloomy at all.  Now you can hear the bloom in the M^3.  

Maybe Ying does a really good job of implementation. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #787 of 3,541
Still polite, but with better articulation in the bass. Solude's comments nail it down. Couldn't have put it better. I like music to have bite when it calls for it.

So was the Bryston too much bite? I think that's exactly what it excels at.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #790 of 3,541
Quote:

I'm pretty certain that there is other gear out there that I would like better than my QB-9/BHA-1/HD-800, but things like Bricasti DACs and Stax 009s aren't happening while I still have tuition checks to write.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #791 of 3,541
Heard the Mjolnir yesterday, straight out of the box, via an Esoteric D-07X and into the Audeze LCD3, A/B'd against the Burson Soloist from the same source (albeit via the RCA out this time).

I'd love to combine these amps.

The Mjolnir was a fun listening experience, but I felt that its focus and articulation were slightly softer than the Burson. Burson's images were slightly weightier and better defined, particularly down low. Burson also has more treble energy, whereas the Mjolnir has a smoother top end.

I had had the same experience with the mjolnir with an HD800. I would describe the highs as fuzzy compared to some other gear. Other people in this thread have voiced similar opinions. That's why I was wondering if there were any measurements of the mjolnir to perhaps confirm or deny this experience.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #792 of 3,541
I use it with the Denon D7100 and have no complaints about synergy. My time with the Mjolnir has been about 75% D7100, 20% HD 800 and 5% split between AKG K701 and HE-5LE. 

Quote:
Crossfets are the bomb peeps!
Has anyone tried any low impedance dynamic phones? Like some TH-900's or Denon's perhaps? I kinda wanna rewire my Pro900's too, but I think I'd miss them too much while they were gone.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #793 of 3,541
Frequency Response: 2Hz-400KHz, -3dB

THD: Less than 0.006%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V
 RMS
Output impedance: 1.5 ohms

That's code for flat through the audible range :wink:

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #794 of 3,541
Quote:Originally Posted by preproman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Several hundred what - amps? 

Cables, Power cables, Headphone cables, headphones, amps, dacs, universal players, turntables, tubes, pc components, UPS, spdif converters, feet, stands etc. Don't even get me started on 2CH/9CH setup...

All I can say is that I'm glad it's over for a while. May you find your peace as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back