Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Dec 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,346 of 3,541
  I had been using the Mojo amp for years.  And ≈80-90% of the time it has been on, playing music (≈ 30Khrs+), right up until The Rok showed up.

In my system the differences aren't slight nor incremental, rather The Rok is a whole new ball game.

As I see it thus far, The Rok isn't a just a 'better' Mojo but is in a whole nuther class.  And I'm not talking about the 'universality' of The Rok (# of inputs, can handle speakers etc.), but it's sonic presentation, and of even more importance to me is it's scaleability.

Last night after installing my first mod, I experienced, for the first time ever, what I now call a SEB event.

SEB = Spontaneous Emotional Burst.
Music I have heard hundreds of times repeatedly evoked a strong enough response that tears erupted from my eyes, not to mention the emotions that accompanied them.

That is not something I would have EVER expected, from just an amp upgrade.

I think I can now indentify with Baldrs words when he related that his wife cried, after hearing the prototype Jggy DAC.

JJ

Could you please describe the mod you performed that produced the SEB event.

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #3,347 of 3,541
Maybe he meant 20k hours in 2.5 years as the Mjolnir came out in June 2012?

I'm guessing a fuse, as he was talking about fuses a little while ago.

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3,348 of 3,541

Can I ask : what music elicited the SEB ?

Beethoven's 5th  by Gustavo Dudamel and the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra Of Venezuela

JJ

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,349 of 3,541

Could you please describe the mod you performed that produced the SEB event.

I changed the fuses to the Synergistic Red fuses.
There are 2 of them.

And it took 2 hrs of playing time for the SQ to focus enough for this to happen.

JJ

Dec 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #3,350 of 3,541
I changed the fuses to the Synergistic Red fuses.
There are 2 of them.

And it took 2 hrs of playing time for the SQ to focus enough for this to happen.

JJ

+1 my Ragnarok has also produced several SEB events for myself as well, through my Alpha Prime's. I am in shock at how utterly great the Ragnarok sounds, how it's power manifests itself into total control of the sound signature. The bass is so tight and impactful, without any bloat what's so ever. The mids are so sweet, lush and ever so revealing. The treble is perfect, no Sibilance, no unnatural brightness to dampen the sound. And all of these characteristics create a fantastic my vivid, holographic soundstage, that the music utterly natural/ neutral in its totality. And this platonic totality of synergistic sound produces SEB events that overwhelms the rational it and produces cathartic release. Hope everyone has a merry Christmas and hangs out with their loved ones.
Andrew Reddog Jones

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #3,351 of 3,541
  Maybe he meant 20k hours in 2.5 years as the Mjolnir came out in June 2012?

I'm guessing a fuse, as he was talking about fuses a little while ago.

You're right.  My mind must have time warped er sumpt'n…
atsmile.gif

It's probably more like 15Khrs. +

And yeah fuses…

JJ

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #3,352 of 3,541
I received the Mjolnir and Gungnir late night Saturday, Dec 27. I am using the LCD 2F, and only had them for maybe a week and half. I was using them on an Asgard and Bifrost Uber. Out of the box, I noticed the Mjolnir/Gungnir is considerably less grainy and the LCD 2Fs seem to scale better with volume. On the original Asgard, as the volume increased, the treble and upper midrange increased more than the rest of the frequencies, and that was observed with Grado SR225s, Sennheiser HD600s, and the Audeze LCD2F. The Mjolnir seems to increase at a completely flat frequency level. Of note, it is very easy to listen at loud levels and forget that it is louder than normal because of how the frequencies scale. I thought that was an interesting quality. Music is definitely pure with it. I have no hum issues as reported by a couple of other head-fiers. I have noted that other head-fiers have cited a significant burn-in period is necessary to bring out the full potential.

I plugged it in at 9pm or so Saturday evening and stayed up until 4am for the first session. I woke up at 10am the next day and listened to it all day until 11pm. I am definitely digging the crazy clarity from it. All genres seem to just emerge from it naturally. Of note, make sure your music actually has bass in it to make a judgment on that. I honestly thought it was a hair bass-lite (was listening to Chimaira - Impossibility of Reason) until I played some bass heavy tracks (electronic music, video game soundtracks (orchestral/electronic), bass-heavy metal productions, etc.). After I did that, I noticed the bass is very low (pitch access, not volume) and clear. If there is one word that describes the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo, it is definitely "clear". No coloration as far as I can detect, no grain, no frequency dips due to power lag. It is just pure audio. I am curious about the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil, but those are nowhere near what my budget can handle, yet. For all of those who are curious about the Mjolnir/Gungnir combo, I can only say positive things about it. They are definitely better than the Asgard/Bifrost uber combo. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #3,353 of 3,541
Hoping to get the Mjolnir and Gungnir in the far future, due to the unfortunateness of upgraditis. :p Can anyone tell me what the difference between single ended and balanced audio from a mechanical and music listening perspective?

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,354 of 3,541
  Hoping to get the Mjolnir and Gungnir in the far future, due to the unfortunateness of upgraditis. :p Can anyone tell me what the difference between single ended and balanced audio from a mechanical and music listening perspective?

Very short answer (there are far more qualified people to respond to this) is balanced offers common noise rejection and some say better control of driving HP.  Left and right channel each have their own ground wire whereas in SE left and right share a common ground wire. You'll find very knowledgeable people arguing for balanced and an equal number arguing that a well designed SE obviates the control argument and that over very short cable runs that noise rejection isn't justification enough to go balanced. Be aware as well that the Mjolnir is balanced only. I.e. HP must be cabled for balanced. You can use a HP cabled for balanced on an SE amp with a simple adapter but not the other way round. (for disclosure I have M/G stack and love it
L3000.gif
)

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #3,355 of 3,541

Very short answer (there are far more qualified people to respond to this) is balanced offers common noise rejection and some say better control of driving HP.  Left and right channel each have their own ground wire whereas in SE left and right share a common ground wire. You'll find very knowledgeable people arguing for balanced and an equal number arguing that a well designed SE obviates the control argument and that over very short cable runs that noise rejection isn't justification enough to go balanced. Be aware as well that the Mjolnir is balanced only. I.e. HP must be cabled for balanced. You can use a HP cabled for balanced on an SE amp with a simple adapter but not the other way round. (for disclosure I have M/G stack and love it
L3000.gif
)

What cables do you have for your HE-500s? Just the HiFiMAN balanced cables, something from another company, or a custom cable?

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #3,359 of 3,541
(removed redacted quote as a courtesy)
Did you contact Bryan at Zynsonix?  He definitely does not strike me as someone who would not stand behind his work.  And I hate to say it but are you SURE it was a Zynsonix recable and seller did not DIY?  I've now purchased two cables from Bryan and both where meticulous.  "Poorly done" with "solid copper wire" just doesn't jive with my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back