Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Dec 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #3,331 of 3,541
Hi there

Are you guys going for ragnarok? I think it's a monster against mojo. Much bigger and needs more power.

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3,332 of 3,541
  Hi there

Are you guys going for ragnarok? I think it's a monster against mojo. Much bigger and needs more power.

Still thinking about it. So far, I've heard universally positive feedback about Ragnarok's sound vs. the Mjolnir, but it's also over twice the price. I still find it a bit hard to believe that it's as miraculous a difference as people keep saying, as I (now, after letting it burn in more and spending more time with it) think the Mjolnir sounds pretty good.

The tough thing for me is that I don't need any of the extras that Ragnarok brings to the table (all those outputs, ability to drive speakers, extra power, adjustable gain, etc.) -- I'm pretty much only interested in sound quality through my LCD-X, period. So for me it's purely a decision of "will I get $950 worth of better sound by upgrading?" 

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #3,333 of 3,541
Rag is not a marginal improvement over Mjolnir. Easily worth it in my view. I can't speak to comparison with other Amos in the same price range, but we're not yetin starkly diminishing returns territory here.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #3,334 of 3,541

Still thinking about it. So far, I've heard universally positive feedback about Ragnarok's sound vs. the Mjolnir, but it's also over twice the price. I still find it a bit hard to believe that it's as miraculous a difference as people keep saying, as I (now, after letting it burn in more and spending more time with it) think the Mjolnir sounds pretty good.

The tough thing for me is that I don't need any of the extras that Ragnarok brings to the table (all those outputs, ability to drive speakers, extra power, adjustable gain, etc.) -- I'm pretty much only interested in sound quality through my LCD-X, period. So for me it's purely a decision of "will I get $950 worth of better sound by upgrading?" 

How did you do your burn in?

For me it's the same I don't need all the extras therefore it's the mojo for me.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #3,335 of 3,541

How did you do your burn in?

For me it's the same I don't need all the extras therefore it's the mojo for me.

Still doing it. I listen to it a lot and whenever I'm not listening to it, I run pink noise. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #3,336 of 3,541

Still doing it. I listen to it a lot and whenever I'm not listening to it, I run pink noise. 

I only turn it on, when listening to it. Maybe 8h a week. I'm not shure if I should leave it on to burn it. How many hours a mojo last? :)

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #3,337 of 3,541

I only turn it on, when listening to it. Maybe 8h a week. I'm not shure if I should leave it on to burn it. How many hours a mojo last? :)

Nick from Schiit actually recommended that I burn it in for a good long time by leaving it on/playing music all the time.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3,338 of 3,541
I had been using the Mojo amp for years.  And ≈80-90% of the time it has been on, playing music (≈ 30Khrs+), right up until The Rok showed up.

In my system the differences aren't slight nor incremental, rather The Rok is a whole new ball game.

As I see it thus far, The Rok isn't a just a 'better' Mojo but is in a whole nuther class.  And I'm not talking about the 'universality' of The Rok (# of inputs, can handle speakers etc.), but it's sonic presentation, and of even more importance to me is it's scaleability.

Last night after installing my first mod, I experienced, for the first time ever, what I now call a SEB event.

SEB = Spontaneous Emotional Burst.
Music I have heard hundreds of times repeatedly evoked a strong enough response that tears erupted from my eyes, not to mention the emotions that accompanied them.

That is not something I would have EVER expected, from just an amp upgrade.

I think I can now indentify with Baldrs words when he related that his wife cried, after hearing the prototype Jggy DAC.

JJ

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #3,339 of 3,541
  I had been using the Mojo amp for years.  And ≈80-90% of the time it has been on, playing music (≈ 30Khrs+), right up until The Rok showed up.

In my system the differences aren't slight nor incremental, rather The Rok is a whole new ball game.

As I see it thus far, The Rok isn't a just a 'better' Mojo but is in a whole nuther class.  And I'm not talking about the 'universality' of The Rok (# of inputs, can handle speakers etc.), but it's sonic presentation, and of even more importance to me is it's scaleability.

Last night after installing my first mod, I experienced, for the first time ever, what I now call a SEB event.

Music I have heard hundreds of times repeatedly evoked a strong enough response that tears erupted from my eyes, not to mention the emotions that accompanied them.

I think I can now indentify with Baldrs words when he related that his wife cried, after hearing the prototype Jggy DAC.

JJ

I'm screwed, aren't I? :p

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #3,341 of 3,541

I'm screwed, aren't I? :p

No, not at all.

The mojo can deliver thunderous bass, visceral impact, delicate and subtle mids and highs with inner detail aplenty, all with plenty of head room, and much more.

But you have to feed it a 'proper' signal in a 'suitable' environment (electrical and physical) order to realize these qualities.
Which is true of any power amp, or headphones, etc.

IOW if you get your system to deliver these qualities using a Mojo then the step up to The Rok will be so much more gratifying.  
Not to mention easier and quicker.

But keep in mind that the Mojo while being 'only' $750 is actually comparable to 2-3K$ amps.
And while I have anticipated The Rok's arrival for 'a while', as have others, I was not expecting this level of improvement.  

But waiting gave me the time to dial in the rest of the system to be able to realize the degree of improvement I'm enjoying.  
So it's not just the amp but the scaleability of the entire system that CAN deliver these sorts of SQ results. 

So, I'd say if you can realize the 'advanced' improvements while using your Mojo amp, the step up to The Rok will be familiar territory, just taken to the next few levels of SQ.

JJ

Dec 24, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,342 of 3,541
  No, not at all.

The mojo can deliver thunderous bass, visceral impact, delicate and subtle mids and highs with inner detail aplenty, all with plenty of head room, and much more.

But you have to feed it a 'proper' signal in a 'suitable' environment (electrical and physical) order to realize these qualities.
Which is true of any power amp, or headphones, etc.

IOW if you get your system to deliver these qualities using a Mojo then the step up to The Rok will be so much more gratifying.  
Not to mention easier and quicker.

But keep in mind that the Mojo while being 'only' $750 is actually comparable to 2-3K$ amps.
And while I have anticipated The Rok's arrival for 'a while', as have others, I was not expecting this level of improvement.  

But waiting gave me the time to dial in the rest of the system to be able to realize the degree of improvement I'm enjoying.  
So it's not just the amp but the scaleability of the entire system that CAN deliver these sorts of SQ results. 

So, I'd say if you can realize the 'advanced' improvements while using your Mojo amp, the step up to The Rok will be familiar territory, just taken to the next few levels of SQ.

JJ

Thank you very much for your advice having taken the step that I'm considering. :) I may be relatively new here, but I've found that the quality of advice I've gotten from serious head-fiers has been fantastic and worth heeding. I think I'm probably going to make the jump to Ragnarok given all the wonderful praise I've heard, but since this is a Mjolnir thread, I will say that I think the Mjolnir is an excellent amp and that it delivers excellent sound quality. I'm just looking for the ultimate, it seems. 

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #3,343 of 3,541

Thank you very much for your advice having taken the step that I'm considering. :) I may be relatively new here, but I've found that the quality of advice I've gotten from serious head-fiers has been fantastic and worth heeding. I think I'm probably going to make the jump to Ragnarok given all the wonderful praise I've heard, but since this is a Mjolnir thread, I will say that I think the Mjolnir is an excellent amp and that it delivers excellent sound quality. I'm just looking for the ultimate, it seems. 

Diving straight into the deep/high end is, or can be a 'quicker' way of arriving at satisfactory results.
However, at this level of precision and exactitude EVERYTHING becomes a factor in what end results are achieved.

Sorta like the saying, 'it's not the destination, but the journey itself, that yields the most benefits'.

I suspect that some expect that buy simply purchasing 'the best', that the best results will automatially be attained.
That, simply put, isn't my experience.
Rather it’s a series of incremental tweaks along with highly scaleable equipment (of which both Mojo and The Rok qualify) that can result in 'the best'.

And like just about everything in this hobby, YMMV.  
atsmile.gif

JJ

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3,344 of 3,541
  Diving straight into the deep/high end is, or can be a 'quicker' way of arriving at satisfactory results.
However, at this level of precision and exactitude EVERYTHING becomes a factor in what end results are achieved.

Sorta like the saying, 'it's not the destination, but the journey itself, that yields the most benefits'.

I suspect that some expect that buy simply purchasing 'the best', that the best results will automatially be attained.
That, simply put, isn't my experience.
Rather it’s a series of incremental tweaks along with highly scaleable equipment (of which both Mojo and The Rok qualify) that can result in 'the best'.

And like just about everything in this hobby, YMMV.  
atsmile.gif

JJ

Some background is in order then. When I bought my LCD-X, I started with an Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2. Then, I bought a Woo WA7+WA7tp and Schiit Modi/Magni+Vali stack. Ended up returning the WA7+WA7tp; ordered an UberBifrost/Asgard2 and Gungnir/Mjolnir and keeping the Gungnir/Mjolnir. Used the Wyrd with each Schiit-stack and with the WA7 set. I've appreciated the bump in quality with each move, even when I didn't want to acknowledge it due to costs (I had never planned to buy anything more than the Dragonfly with my LCD-X!).  So I've learned to appreciate the subtleties. :) If I move up to Ragnarok, I will have progressed from the bottom up. The only question is whether the Ragnarok will wow me after the Mjolnir, which is excellent.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #3,345 of 3,541

JJ

Can I ask : what music elicited the SEB ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back