Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Dec 17, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,301 of 3,541
Good thing I still have my Mjolnir. My Ragnarok just died. Dead as a hammer when turning it on. Was working beautifully last night. Dead today. Bummer.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #3,303 of 3,541

RA #4257. Sending it back tomorrow for diagnosis and repair. I have no idea what happened. It was working incredibly well all yesterday and go to turn the amp on today it is dead. I certainly hope the amp is more reliable than that as I have had it about three weeks. Got many thousands of hours on my Mjolnir and glad I decided to keep it.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #3,304 of 3,541
I had my Rag go silent/dead once, after touching the volume dial. It did come back after two reboots. I have no theory on why it did that. I don't think it was simply me getting confused about the output setting. No problems since. Still, disconcerting. Computer glitch for the Rag volume setting?

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #3,305 of 3,541
Good thing I still have my Mjolnir. My Ragnarok just died. Dead as a hammer when turning it on. Was working beautifully last night. Dead today. Bummer.

Sorry to hear that, hope they fix it as soon as possible.

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #3,306 of 3,541
I had my Rag go silent/dead once, after touching the volume dial. It did come back after two reboots. I have no theory on why it did that. I don't think it was simply me getting confused about the output setting. No problems since. Still, disconcerting. Computer glitch for the Rag volume setting?

I tried multiple re-boots also with different power cords into different outlets. Same result - no power no lights no nothing. Like a fuse is blown; but if a fuse is blown they need to check it out anyway to find out what is drawing the extra current. Besides it is only 3 weeks old. So I am not opening the case and poking around in there rather just sending it back for repair. Connected Mjolnir up to same cord in same protected outlet and powered right up. Doesn't sound quite like my rok though...  =(

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #3,307 of 3,541

I tried multiple re-boots also with different power cords into different outlets. Same result - no power no lights no nothing. Like a fuse is blown; but if a fuse is blown they need to check it out anyway to find out what is drawing the extra current. Besides it is only 3 weeks old. So I am not opening the case and poking around in there rather just sending it back for repair. Connected Mjolnir up to same cord in same protected outlet and powered right up. Doesn't sound quite like my rok though...  =(

Sorry that you're having trouble! I'm sure Schiit will make it right.

Speaking of the sound, you're using a very similar setup to mine -- Wyrd > Gungnir > Mjolnir > LCD-X. Judging on sound quality alone, and assuming no issues of the amp dying :), do you find the Ragnarok to be a worthwhile upgrade at over twice the price? I have no real interest in driving speakers or other kinds of headphones; I'm just trying to build the perfect LCD-X rig without going too far down the road of diminishing returns. Was it a transcendental experience switching to Ragnarok, or is it just a bit better?

I should add that I just got the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack and I'm noticing a bit of over-aggressive harshness in the vocal range. I know this is an aggressive amp, but I'm curious whether you experienced similar, and whether it went away with burn-in.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #3,308 of 3,541

Speaking of the sound, you're using a very similar setup to mine -- Wyrd > Gungnir > Mjolnir > LCD-X. Judging on sound quality alone, and assuming no issues of the amp dying :), do you find the Ragnarok to be a worthwhile upgrade at over twice the price? I have no real interest in driving speakers or other kinds of headphones; I'm just trying to build the perfect LCD-X rig without going too far down the road of diminishing returns. Was it a transcendental experience switching to Ragnarok, or is it just a bit better?

For the LCD-X, I found going from G/M to G/R to be a major improvement.  I'm still not sure about the LCD-X -- it seems to have excess reverb --, but it is much clearer with the Rag.  Some of this may be a Mjolnir issue?  

In sum, this is very much not a marginal improvement for the LCD-X.  

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,309 of 3,541

Sorry that you're having trouble! I'm sure Schiit will make it right.

I should add that I just got the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack and I'm noticing a bit of over-aggressive harshness in the vocal range. I know this is an aggressive amp, but I'm curious whether you experienced similar, and whether it went away with burn-in.

I ran my Mjo for many thousands of hours between 3 sets of LCD phones and it is some mellower now than it was brand new. I still love my Mjolnir BTW and listening to it right this minute as my rok is dead. Transcendental? Well I guess it could be stated as such. I can tell ya one thing for sure: that Ragnarok just takes control of the X and has its way with it. Just total and complete control of those drivers. I remember the first time I cued up Tool 10000 Days and listened to that on the X with the Ragnarok it just blew my mind that it drove the bass (and everything else) with just totalitarian iron fisted dominant control. Drop dead accurate, punchy, clean, detailed rendition. Then switch gears to delicate flamenco guitar with sweetly interlaced vocals and wow! again beautiful delicate nuanced rendering with awesome instrumental placement and staging. Just a real treat to listen to different genres and drink in the aural goodness that is the Ragnarok.

So good as the Mjolnir is, the Ragnarok is several degrees better. Really. I can definitely say that I now want to acquire some LCD-3f as I just have an inate feeling that I need those headphones to go with the Ragnarok.

Hope this little missive helps some with the query on the Ragnarok.  

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #3,310 of 3,541
StefanJK and commtrd -- thank you very much for your input. It'll help me a lot as I make some decisions going forward. I'm relatively new to the hobby, but I dove head-first into Schiit, and it helps to have an experiential paddle with which to move up-creek! Now I'm seriously thinking about coming up with the money somehow for the Ragnarok, lol. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3,311 of 3,541
I got shipping confirmation on my Gungnir, Mjolnir and the PXLR cables.  All will arrive B4 Christmas.  The Gungnir had been on back-order for a month, so good to see that Schiit is shipping them again.  The customer service at Schiit is just the Schiit, IMHO.  They stay on top of things :).

I am really looking forward to the higher-end gear and ability to listen fully balanced (my current rig is unbalanced uB/A2).

Will be interesting to see how Commtrd's problem with the Rag comes out...

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,312 of 3,541
After reading the entire thread, I have ordered the Mjolnir, Gungnir, and Pyst XLR cables. After seeing the Magni 2 (uber) and Modi 2 (uber) released, I am just hoping I don't run into the same issue I had with the Asgard. I think I had it for a month or so before Asgard 2 was released. Mjlonir 2, hold off for a bit. FedEx gave me a Dec 24th pickup date. I probably won't be able to listen to it until the following Sunday due to staying with family at that time. Currently, I am using a Bifrost Uber, Asgard (with the relay), and Grado SR60, Grado SR 225, Sennheiser HD 600 (will likely get the ZY balanced cable for it), and Audeze LCD-2 (Fazers). I am hoping to get into some recording/mixing on my system along with having a sweet headphone media center. I am looking forward to the 8x power increase. :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3,313 of 3,541
  After reading the entire thread, I have ordered the Mjolnir, Gungnir, and Pyst XLR cables. After seeing the Magni 2 (uber) and Modi 2 (uber) released, I am just hoping I don't run into the same issue I had with the Asgard. I think I had it for a month or so before Asgard 2 was released. Mjlonir 2, hold off for a bit. FedEx gave me a Dec 24th pickup date. I probably won't be able to listen to it until the following Sunday due to staying with family at that time. Currently, I am using a Bifrost Uber, Asgard (with the relay), and Grado SR60, Grado SR 225, Sennheiser HD 600 (will likely get the ZY balanced cable for it), and Audeze LCD-2 (Fazers). I am hoping to get into some recording/mixing on my system along with having a sweet headphone media center. I am looking forward to the 8x power increase. :)

I have the same concerns about whether an upgrade is coming (I just bought the same stuff you did). I was unlucky with a recent Modi and Magni purchase, too, though I was within the return period so Schiit is allowing me to exchange without restocking fee (still losing over $45 in total shipping costs). I doubt a Mjolnir update is coming within the return period for mine, though, and it's a much more expensive item, so that would be much, much more unlucky. I guess one way to avoid it would be to return it and get a Ragnarok, but that solution is even more expensive and would require several weeks of delay. :p 

To my ears, the Gungnir/Mjolnir sound signature is ... different. Using it with my LCD-X, all I can say is that I hope the glare in the vocal range reduces with more burn-in. Certain music on the Gungnir/Mjolnir is like taking an icepick to the skull; I can feel it in my eyes. It's extremely fatiguing unless you turn down the volume, but then you lose fine details that are quieter in the mix. I've read some people say that they never found Gungnir/Mjolnir to be too bright or glaring, but as for my unit, I don't care how your ears are, this thing hurts with certain music (particularly female vocals).

The bass feels a little thin on the LCD-X, too, but perhaps it would be a good match for the darker LCD-2. On the other side, it's more resolving than the UberBifrost/Asgard2. I'd be interested to hear what you think when you get it. 

Nick and Schiit has told me to let the G/M burn in for a good long time; I hope he's right that it'll improve the sound signature. Aggressive is one thing, and I like that, but I feel like I'm getting hit in the eye with Odin's spear! 

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #3,314 of 3,541
Jason from Schiit said,

I sighed. Okay. Fine. I was playing with some decent op-amps for what would eventually become Fulla. I was willing to admit that, in some cost-constrained cases, op-amps could be OK. But I was also working on an all-new discrete, inherently balanced topology that was unlike anything else out there, and it was insane.*  
*Aside: Cease the heavy breathing about possible new products. All-new, never-before-done stuff takes a lot of baking time. It’ll be done when it’s done. That’s all I can say for now.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/4155#post_11117374

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,315 of 3,541

I have the same concerns about whether an upgrade is coming (I just bought the same stuff you did). I was unlucky with a recent Modi and Magni purchase, too, though I was within the return period so Schiit is allowing me to exchange without restocking fee (still losing over $45 in total shipping costs). I doubt a Mjolnir update is coming within the return period for mine, though, and it's a much more expensive item, so that would be much, much more unlucky. I guess one way to avoid it would be to return it and get a Ragnarok, but that solution is even more expensive and would require several weeks of delay. :p 

To my ears, the Gungnir/Mjolnir sound signature is ... different. Using it with my LCD-X, all I can say is that I hope the glare in the vocal range reduces with more burn-in. Certain music on the Gungnir/Mjolnir is like taking an icepick to the skull; I can feel it in my eyes. It's extremely fatiguing unless you turn down the volume, but then you lose fine details that are quieter in the mix. I've read some people say that they never found Gungnir/Mjolnir to be too bright or glaring, but as for my unit, I don't care how your ears are, this thing hurts with certain music (particularly female vocals).

The bass feels a little thin on the LCD-X, too, but perhaps it would be a good match for the darker LCD-2. On the other side, it's more resolving than the UberBifrost/Asgard2. I'd be interested to hear what you think when you get it. 

Nick and Schiit has told me to let the G/M burn in for a good long time; I hope he's right that it'll improve the sound signature. Aggressive is one thing, and I like that, but I feel like I'm getting hit in the eye with Odin's spear! 

Um, er…

I have used the Mojo with HD-800's for years.

Yes you have to burn the amp in, along with the dac and 800's.
And it may take hundreds of hours to fully settle in.
Case in point, my Rok with 690 hrs. is just now going magical.

My unasked advice is to track your burn in over time, by finding where the "icepick to the skull" starts to kick in (10:00, 11:00, etc.) on the vol. control.   This position, (of the vol. control) will change as it breaks in.

I'd also suggest that when it hurts, turn it down, and not to 'push thru' it.
Pain is a warning that damage is or can be happening.

Wait until the, what I call the Listener Fatigue Factor (LFF), has 'lowered' to the point that you can 'easily' (without the "icepick to the skull") reach your desired volume.

And know that you may need to apply some additional tweaks in order to fully deal with the "icepick to the skull" syndrome, especially if you want to crank it up all the time…

You're playing in the big leagues now,
atsmile.gif

and there are certain 'procedures' that are 'advisable', that is if you want to realize all the potential that this gear is capable of delivering…
And the first step is burn in.

JJ
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back