Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 27, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #6,886 of 6,946
My experience with it is it completely depends on how much money you’re willing to spend on tubes. Inexpensive tubes = solid state more or less. Golden Lions = hey there’s some tubey goodness. Amperex 7308s = yesssssssss.
For anyone who owns one of these, how is this in comparison to other tube amps? Does it have a warm, tub-ey signature? Or does it lean more towards a solid state? Any words on the way it h does staging?

Considering picking one up as a supplement to my other gear and hoping it would add a bit of that euphony/soften some edges.
I have a Mjolnir 2 paired with Gold lions and I can agree with Mars that these were the ones to start providing the tubiness that I was looking for. This combo has been my go to with my HE1000SE. They smooth out the elevated/excited treble that the SEs can throw out on some solid state offerings. The Gold Lions also help open up and spread out the instruments than with the stock tubes or more budget friendly JJ tubes. If you’re not looking for ultimate tube warmth, I think the MJ2 can be a great option.

I just got a MJ3 in the house and I’ve been doing some comparisons. The staging has definitely shrunk, compared to the MJ2 so I’m still debating if that’s what I’m in search of. If you’re interested in trying out the MJ2 and still in search of one, I might be willing to part with it though. Ugh such a “tough” situation to be in haha

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #6,887 of 6,946
For anyone who owns one of these, how is this in comparison to other tube amps? Does it have a warm, tub-ey signature? Or does it lean more towards a solid state? Any words on the way it h does staging?

Considering picking one up as a supplement to my other gear and hoping it would add a bit of that euphony/soften some edges.
Hey JayDM! Like others have said, some of that depends on tubes chosen. Generally, the MJ2 is a hybrid, and sounds as such, meaning some 'euphonics' of tubes but generally a more solid state bass and more extended frequency extremes. I love my modded one, but those mods were hard fought and not recomended for all but the most handy and extreme. The best thing about the mjolnir (1,2 or 3) is it can drive all but electrostat headphones, so maximum flexibitlity. But many who've owned one moved on, that's why I modded mine.

If you want a good generic tube to go with it, get adapters (6DJ8 to 12A_7) and find some GE 6201 five stars, they are still mostly reasonable, bought up 4 pair to have spares as I felt they were a bargain for their sound.

Edit: Another good adapter to get, 6DJ8 to 5670/2C51, 5670's are a bargain as well

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #6,888 of 6,946
Very on the fence about this one. This kind of ticked a bunch of boxes for me. While it is a larger amp, it’s sized in a way that can work in my space. Most tube amps need both a ton of real estate and are very tall so I just can’t find the space for them. The MJ2 is also balanced which I need, it’s not a sonic thing, I have a noise issue in my chain with single ended interconnects.

Issue seems to be that looking for something that very much has the type of signature one would expect from the classic tube amp(warm, euphoric, wide and relaxed) as something that amounts to another solid state definitely won’t see much use on my end.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #6,889 of 6,946
Couldn’t hurt to give one a try. I believe their value has hit its lowest point.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #6,891 of 6,946
At that budget price point, I like the Tungsram E88CC and the National / Matsushita 6922.

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #6,892 of 6,946
Just bought one. Was on the fence, but I’m also easily bored… picked up a pair of Amperex Orange Globes at a decent price via eBay, what else should I be looking at tube wise? Like to keep individual pairs at or under the $150-$200 point so I can nab a few different options to try.
For the price, I got adapters and went much farther down the 12AT7 and derivatives route, but even they are starting to get pricey. GE 6201's are a deal, and with a different adapter 5670's are reasonably priced. Go to Brent Jesse recordings database, look up derivatives, then shop places like DBtubes or Langrex, still a lot of deals to be found.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #6,893 of 6,946
Just bought one. Was on the fence, but I’m also easily bored… picked up a pair of Amperex Orange Globes at a decent price via eBay, what else should I be looking at tube wise? Like to keep individual pairs at or under the $150-$200 point so I can nab a few different options to try.
You'll need 12AT7 adapters, but these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2663541763...fyjqXTsPzzEYu/PLTlb5ByBA==|tkp:Bk9SR9CQi63zYg

1950's Footscray plant production (KB/FB) are the ones to have.

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #6,894 of 6,946
Dec 23, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #6,896 of 6,946
I just upgraded from Liquid Platinum to Mjolnir 2, and I regret not doing it earlier lol, it sounds so much better imo, the Liquid Platinum is more of a reference sound and the Mjolnir 2 sounds more musical and easier to listen to in my opinion. I am currently using it with WE 396A with adaptors and the LISST Tubes and it pairs very well with my 600s.

Does anyone have recommendation for DACs? I was looking at Bifrost 2 or 2/64 or maybe Gungnir, but I am open to AKM Dacs as well.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #6,897 of 6,946
I just upgraded from Liquid Platinum to Mjolnir 2, and I regret not doing it earlier lol, it sounds so much better imo, the Liquid Platinum is more of a reference sound and the Mjolnir 2 sounds more musical and easier to listen to in my opinion. I am currently using it with WE 396A with adaptors and the LISST Tubes and it pairs very well with my 600s.

Does anyone have recommendation for DACs? I was looking at Bifrost 2 or 2/64 or maybe Gungnir, but I am open to AKM Dacs as well.
Don't sell yourself short. Go for the Gumby and complete the stack. Lol. It's far better than the BF2 imo. Had both at the same time for a while and the Gumby is just better in every aspect. The used market a gungnir multibit is excellent these days. I see them on eBay selling for about the same price as a used BF2($600)

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #6,898 of 6,946
Don't sell yourself short. Go for the Gumby and complete the stack. Lol. It's far better than the BF2 imo. Had both at the same time for a while and the Gumby is just better in every aspect. The used market a gungnir multibit is excellent these days. I see them on eBay selling for about the same price as a used BF2($600)
I lean towards the Bifrost due to its size, but I will look into Gumby for sure, thanks for the advice!

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #6,899 of 6,946
I lean towards the Bifrost due to its size, but I will look into Gumby for sure, thanks for the advice!
The gumby is an exact match size wise and disappears right underneath the MJ2. It's a little awkward with the Bf2 and the MJ2 trying to put the bf2 on top. Good luck on your search. Give ebay a look. There's 2 on there now lol.
:beerchug:

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #6,900 of 6,946
I had the upgraded Bifrost and moved on the the Yggy. The Bifrost was great...but to my ears it doesn't compare to the Yggy.
I personally haven't heard the Gumby but I've read many reviews that compare it favorably to the Yggy.
You do the math.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back