Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 19, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #6,856 of 6,931
In that case, I highly recommend you get adapters and shop 12at7 types, lots of reasonably priced tubes in that pin-out config.

Apr 19, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #6,858 of 6,931
Tubemonger/pulse tube store is where I got mine. While your there, you might snap up a pair of Brimar CV4033’s while they last. They’re getting pricey, but known to work exceptionally well with the Mjolnir2. You can thank JonathanC for that recommendation.

Other good places to shop, Langrex, Dbtubes, Brent Jesse Recording (especially for tube brand/ identifier info).

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #6,859 of 6,931
Class A Mjolnir 3? Schiit, my Mjolnir 2 gets delivered today and I’m already excited for the 3! :sweat_smile:
Stay excited with the 2. The 3 will be solid state. :sweat:

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #6,860 of 6,931
Stay excited with the 2. The 3 will be solid state. :sweat:

Oh trust me I am. Just need to get the kiddo to bed then it is time to set up and play. :L3000:

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #6,861 of 6,931
Nothing like coming to a giant pile of Schiit on your front porch. She's sitting on top of Gumby and all warmed up. Being fed by PYST RCAs and PYST Snake Oil XLRs.

Listening to Lorna Shore with LCD-XC (using oratory EQ) cans, my initial reaction is "wow." The bass is fantastic. The soundstage seems to really have opened up in comparison to the newer Lyr+. Everything seems just overall tighter. I don't know how to explain it.

Edit - I swear the the more I turn up the volume the better it sounds. Using the XLR inputs on low gain I can't even max out the XCs before discomfort sets in. In fact, I can only get to 9 o'clock for a few moments before needing to dial it back. But damn... I swear the quality gets better the more you crank it up.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #6,862 of 6,931
Nothing like coming to a giant pile of Schiit on your front porch. She's sitting on top of Gumby and all warmed up. Being fed by PYST RCAs and PYST Snake Oil XLRs.

Listening to Lorna Shore with LCD-XC (using oratory EQ) cans, my initial reaction is "wow." The bass is fantastic. The soundstage seems to really have opened up in comparison to the newer Lyr+. Everything seems just overall tighter. I don't know how to explain it.

Edit - I swear the the more I turn up the volume the better it sounds. Using the XLR inputs on low gain I can't even max out the XCs before discomfort sets in. In fact, I can only get to 9 o'clock for a few moments before needing to dial it back. But damn... I swear the quality gets better the more you crank it up.

Your not wrong. Run that sucker at full tilt with a Freya N/+ or AVC and really hear it sing.

A good pre-amp can really make a large difference in your amps ability to be clear and musical.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #6,863 of 6,931
Hey, Ksorota, how are you!?! What gear are you listening thru these days! Do you still have your Mjolnir?

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #6,864 of 6,931
Hey, Ksorota, how are you!?! What gear are you listening thru these days! Do you still have your Mjolnir?
Doing well, I hope you are also!

I have been through a bunch of stuff over the past year, but recently have settled in using a EC Black Widow 1 amp.

I sold off my MJ2 when I started to move up to a more serious Tube amp in the Quicksilver, then EC Balancing Act...but ultimately am pairing back a bit to the essentials and keeping things minimal. I thought about selling the BW1, but its the only piece of gear that has caused me to pause a sale. Oddly enough, my other favorite amp has been the little Schiit Vali 1...its just so damn good. I have changed out some of the capacitors in it, but it has no right being such a good amp. It does not really do anything wrong once the ringing goes away.

I am intrigued by the Mjolnir 3 coming out, because I must admit that I am a bigger fan of the MJ1 than I am of the MJ2...Its just better and way overlooked these days.

The only tube amp I would consider going out for now would be either a DNA starlett or maybe a Woo Audio WA2 again, but really just sitting in some bliss with the BW and Schiit Vali!

Keith

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #6,865 of 6,931
I’ve never heard the original, I do see them on Audiomart occasionally. I’m loving my MJ2 and not looking to upgrade. My new DAC really brings out the best of all the modding I’ve done to the MJ, it even sounds good on average tubes. I also finally have a good tube stockpile to roll from.

I considered the Woo several times, just don’t want to commit to output tubes again, they get really pricey to replace, yet alone roll.

Anyway, glad to hear your doing well!

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #6,866 of 6,931
Your not wrong. Run that sucker at full tilt with a Freya N/+ or AVC and really hear it sing.

A good pre-amp can really make a large difference in your amps ability to be clear and musical.

Can you expand on the bolded line a bit? What exactly does a preamp do that an amplifier doesn't, or doesn't do well?

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #6,867 of 6,931
The volume attenuation in most amps is fine, but by using a preamp that is designed more specifically for volume attenuation means that you are not losing the effortlessness that an amp can have when not diverting signal through even the best volume pots. Most amps that run through a transformer will also benefit greatly from running full volume, or even better by bypassing the volume pot all together and using external volume control.

Once you have heard an AVC in your chain you will know what I am talking about. Its adds clarity and purity that you would not expect...ie. its not subtle.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #6,868 of 6,931
Thank you for answering my question. Luckily after looking at eBay and USAM, the only Freya's for sale are black and not silver.

I am absolutely in love with this amp. I figured after hooking it up I'd want to "listen" for differences in the music between it and my Lyr+ and Magnius.

Naw, I am very content to just sit here and "hear" the music instead. :beerchug: It is incredible. I have another set of tubes to try but I don't want to stop the music.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #6,869 of 6,931
Hi All!

Tubes have slowly been rolling in for my Line Magnetic DAC. I may have to start a thread on it, as I haven't found much info online about it, and would love to get some others experience tube rolling. The DAC has really brought my system to the next level, just gorgeous sounding with the Utopia's. Orchestral, Rock, Jazz, Funk, it all seems pretty genre independent.

Right now sticking with GE 6201 5 stars (w/adapters) in my Mjolnir, a Mullard 6X4 rectifier, and GE 12AU7A short plates (grey) in my DAC, really love the Mullard, in a system synergy that's maybe slightly over-dynamic, the Mullard brings back some decay and looseness and flow. Male and Female vocals have a throat and body. Bass, especially stand up double bass, just has this wonderful warmth and texture. Just subbed out the RCA tubes in the DAC, so the GE 12AU's and the Mullard need a little burn in, but I'm hearing great things already!

One thing I have noticed is I'm adjusting volume per song, almost obsessively, as there is a sweet spot that is immediately apparent in each song, within a click or two of the mouse wheel. And I still need to make a custom EQ profile for the Utopia's, as right now I'm using someone else's that's been slightly modified. Need to calibrate to my own ears.

Funny enough, haven't even pulled out the ZMF Verite's in a while, may have to bring them back into rotation. Hope all of Ya'll are well. Have a great night!!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #6,870 of 6,931
Class A Mjolnir 3? Schiit, my Mjolnir 2 gets delivered today and I’m already excited for the 3! :sweat_smile:

Mjolnir 3, when it hits, will be accompanied by something like the "15 Magnis" chapter. It took a long time for me to come up with something we liked. We tried a bunch of approaches, including Nexus/Continuity/Programmable OPS, tube hybrid, all-solid-state-tech-forward, etc...and ended up with something that's a bit of a left turn. It's closest to the Freya+ buffer stage topologically, but with some Mjolnir 1 DNA, and with a bunch of things we've never done before: true dual mono, choke-input, discrete-regulated supplies, ultra HV front end, real Class A with switchable SE or push-pull operation, switchable no overall feedback, switchable gain.

It's still huge for a desktop amp, it's extremely heavy with 4 48VA core transformers/chokes inside, and it puts out an insane amount of heat. This is real, no-fooling Class A, like the original Asgard, not high-bias Class AB or Continuity. It won't be for everyone. And it's still many months out. Maybe summer. We'll see.
Not sure everyone had seen this, so wanted to post here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back