Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Sep 2, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #6,766 of 6,930
Good to hear! There's so much to do with synergy. I've enjoyed the MJ2 with ZMF Attrium and Abyss 1266 - I know others haven't. I'm wondering if its my ears vs differences in chain. Probably a combination of both.

I'm finding I like lthe option of low and high gain. I don't know if it's because I read that high gain has zero feedback but it sounds a tad more detailed, dynamic, and has more grit (in a good way) vs low gain seems much more relaxed and smooth. Maybe it in my head :). But when I'm in the mood to just relax I go low gain. When I want to be moved and tickle my ear drums I go high gain. That said, this is not a controlled A/B as I didn't do any match level setting.

Anyone else feel the same way or am I making this up?

Sep 2, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #6,767 of 6,930
Good to hear! There's so much to do with synergy. I've enjoyed the MJ2 with ZMF Attrium and Abyss 1266 - I know others haven't. I'm wondering if its my ears vs differences in chain. Probably a combination of both.

I'm finding I like lthe option of low and high gain. I don't know if it's because I read that high gain has zero feedback but it sounds a tad more detailed, dynamic, and has more grit (in a good way) vs low gain seems much more relaxed and smooth. Maybe it in my head :). But when I'm in the mood to just relax I go low gain. When I want to be moved and tickle my ear drums I go high gain. That said, this is not a controlled A/B as I didn't do any match level setting.

Anyone else feel the same way or am I making this up?
I have found, on a number of Schiit h/p/a, that the high-gain selection passes through better sound. These h/p/a are Mjolnir 2, Lyr 3, and Valhalla 2.

Sep 5, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #6,769 of 6,930
I have found, on a number of Schiit h/p/a, that the high-gain selection passes through better sound. These h/p/a are Mjolnir 2, Lyr 3, and Valhalla 2.
High gain on both my GSX-mini and MJ2 does indeed output cleaner sound with more air and dynamics.

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #6,770 of 6,930
"I'm not sure where to ask but are the WE 396A still the tubes go if we're seeking a slightly warmer sound? I'm testing a pair of early 60s Amperex 6922 white label and while the sound profile fits what I'm looking it doesn't sound very open. I wonder if the 396A can fix that."

From what I'm seeing online, the pin-out isnt similar to either a 12A type nor the 6922, so some sort of adapter would be needed. Electrically, someone else will have to chime in.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #6,772 of 6,930
Tube Depot has an adapter ,5670W to 6922 with the tube for cheap, I'd probably get that if you need the adapter. Now that I'm clued in, I think I might get a couple!!!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #6,773 of 6,930
Hi All!

Just got a package of tubes today, a set of tubes labeled Siemens E88CC that look dubious, and a set of Voskhod 6N23P's. By the gold plating on the tube pins looking burnt, the single sided support halo getter (off angle, I might add), yeah, I'm pretty sure the Siemens are fake. I took a chance, the set of Ruskies sound very good, the knock off Siemens not so much, so one winner and one loser set. The difference between these and the Siemans E188CC is pretty marked, though. Going to leave the Voskhods in for a while.

I keep saying I'm going to quit buying tubes, yet I keep handing over my money!!! Sigh... I may have a problem, here...

Attachments

• Tubes8.jpg
    Tubes8.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #6,774 of 6,930
Thanks, K3cT!!! I ended up ordering 3 pairs of JAN GE 5670W's off of Ebay, and tube adapters from Tube Depot, for a total of $82.52 shipped!!! That's got to be the best deal I've gotten on tubes in the last 20 years!!! I'm Psyched!!!

I figure between them and the Voshkod's I should have a slew of daily drivers for years, with special occasion tubes for the weekends and such!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #6,776 of 6,930
I'm worried prices will just continue to increase and for supply to decrease.

How do you keep all your tubes? I want to get a nice display case :)
They will! That's why I'm collecting now, and also why I mod. I'm sticking with my Mjolnir! Only one set of tubes to replace, prices on similar spec'd tubes is reasonable but quickly getting pricey, I figure get them now. This is my end-game!

Edit: Sorry, didn't catch the question. I keep them in boxes, seperated by socket and type. Right now, 12AT7's in one, 6922's in another, tall boy 12at7's in another (hoping future mod will make these feasable), 6021 mini's with adapters to be soldered in another (haven't really worked on this since my first unsuccesful try). Nothing special, not even displayed!!!

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #6,777 of 6,930
I'm worried prices will just continue to increase and for supply to decrease.

How do you keep all your tubes? I want to get a nice display case :)

Big Pile of Tubes 2.jpg

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #6,778 of 6,930
In Bcowens case, ... LOL

Attachments

• BCTubeStorage.jpg
    BCTubeStorage.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #6,779 of 6,930
Actually, all kidding aside, how many different tubes do you stock for, Bcowan??? Does your knowledge reflect that you've had a lot of different tube equipment over the years, or is what's in your sig only a small representation of the gear you use? It seems when anyone asks about a particular brand or socket type, you've got experience, and from some of your exchanges on the Schiit sponsor page, it seems you have helped friends with a particular juicy pick on occasion. So, I infer you have a good stockpile of tubes, but maybe that's just a dumb assumption. :sweat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back