Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #6,751 of 6,942
Hi Jonathan!!! I'm definitley warming to them. Got Heart on right now, there's something going on in the midrange that's really nice!!! Funny, I thought I read that midrange wasn't necessarily Telefunkens strong suite. Liking it! Have a great night!

Edit: Now that i think about it, what I read was that Mullard's are thicker in the mids, not that Telefunkens are thin. Closest I have to Mullards are my Brimmars (CV-4033, CV-455), haven't really warmed up to them yet. May need to give another try.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #6,752 of 6,942
Wow, more I listen the more impressed I am. The synergy of these tubes with my system promises a late night ahead!

Aug 8, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #6,753 of 6,942
just bought this one and quite excited! (the 2 last amps I made are both tubes)

good thing is that my first tube amp allowed me to have several pairs on NOS/barely used NOS from the 6DJ8-family.

Do I need to do anything when tube rolling using that's not from the 6DJ8-family? I think I have several pairs of 6CG7 which I used on the last amp I made. somewhere.

Thank you

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #6,754 of 6,942
I'm surprised to see the MJ2 has not lost a lot of value

In my case, it's the reversed (unless I really just got lucky). the seller's price was less 50% of original RRP and 3+ years remaining in the warranty.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #6,755 of 6,942
Do I need to do anything when tube rolling using that's not from the 6DJ8-family? I think I have several pairs of 6CG7 which I used on the last amp I made. somewhere.
I know that 12AT's need an adapter, that's mainly what I'm collecting. I wouldn't know on 6CG7's, but maybe someone else will pipe in.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #6,756 of 6,942
In my case, it's the reversed (unless I really just got lucky). the seller's price was less 50% of original RRP and 3+ years remaining in the warranty.
To me, this headamp represents a 'best value' on the used market.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #6,757 of 6,942
just bought this one and quite excited! (the 2 last amps I made are both tubes)

good thing is that my first tube amp allowed me to have several pairs on NOS/barely used NOS from the 6DJ8-family.

Thank you
The 6CG7 and 6DJ8 are pin-compatible. The 6CG7 has a filament (heater) current of 600 mA. That for the 6DJ8 is 365 mA. That difference could be a problem.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #6,758 of 6,942
Hi All! Recieved my package today, all tubes ops check good. I can tell that the GE 6DJ8 smokies are not as extended in the high's, maybe also a little looser bass wise, but pleasant none the less. The more I hear these Russian tubes (Voskhod 6N23P's), the more I think they make a good 'daily driver', nice extension and generally doesn't seem to have anything missing. The Siemans E188CC might have a little more finess, hard to tell without an extended comparison, but is equally extended as the Russian's in the highs. Will probably leave the Siemans in for a few days, then switch back to the Ruskies.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.JPG.png
    IMG_0964.JPG.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #6,759 of 6,942
I would say the atrium+MJ2 sound close to how most would describe the sound of the atrium (vocal king, natural, organic, amazing imagining/staging) and the MJ2 (hybrid - dynamic, transparent, but with tuby warmness) respectively. I think its a great pairing that doesn't leaving me wanting more or wondering if I'm missing anything based on the discussions here (aka there are better headphone amps than the mj2)
Interesting...I did not enjoy my Atrium in the MJ2 much. Folkvangr, on the other hand, sounds great with the Atrium, but MJ2 fell flat. Conversely, my planars (LCD-5 and Arya Stealth) sound crappy on the Folkvangr and amazing on the MJ2.

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #6,760 of 6,942
Sorry to hear! What didn't you enjoy? I didn't like them much with the EH, but enjoyed them with amperex (orange globe, bugle boys). But I also don't have a FV to compare nor anything twice the price of the MJ2.

I wouldn't say the mj2 is end game. But I could see the atrium to be more "endgame" for the sound signature aka scale up with better a chain.

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #6,761 of 6,942
Is it possible to use the preamp of the MJ2 simultaneously while listening to headphones?

The reason i ask if because I would like to add a Ferum OOR in my chain and would love to use the tubey preamp of the MJ2 to feed the OOR.

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #6,762 of 6,942
As far as I know, it shouldn’t be a problem, but that’s a total guess. Looked at the brief Schiit owners manual, no help there, but I’ve had other preamps where I’ve used both set of outputs with no volume loss, and I’ve used integrated Amps headphone outputs while main speakers on. They should be at different gain stages in the signal path.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #6,764 of 6,942
I'm pre-amping an AHB2 with the MJ2. No issues.
Thanks, i might attach my GSX mini with it just to see if it works. I appreciate the info

Sep 2, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #6,765 of 6,942
Hi All!

It's been a while since any responses on this thread, so I thought I would update. A recent change of pads on my VO's (Eikon lambskin perforated) has got me really grovin, in concert with the Siemens E188CC tubes. It took some patience and slight adjustments to EQ to get the balance just right, but I'm finally at a place where I'm deeply satisfied.

I had tried Universe lambskin perf and the BE2 lambskin perf, and just always felt female vocals were missing something, and guitars were slightly receded in the mix. I probably should have tried the Verite lambskin perf pads, but comfort is a real sticking point for me, and from what I've read, the Verite pads left ears a little too close to the baffle/driver. Looking at the VO thread, one of the reviewers rated pads for the Verite's, including some of the less common ones. Two sparked my interest, the Suede Universe and said Eikon pads. Thanks to Peace EQ, I've been able to dial the Eikons in perfectly, including adding a tiny bit of stereo spread as they are much more angled, killing very center images.

Tonally, I've got both visceral and detail, including body in the mids that I was previously missing. .2 ms added to the stereo expander effect brings the center back in focus, and I'm in hog heaven!!!

I've been getting some back-ups for my fav tubes, mainly Siemens (E88CC's, E188CC's) and Russian Voskhod 6N23P's, so haven't collected much more on the stage 2 parts, and right now I'm satisfied enough to put off for a little while. Billy Holiday was on earlier, and currently Dianna Krall's husky voice is now seducing me!!! Great stuff!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back