Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jun 21, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #6,736 of 6,942
WOW, having a sublime experience tonight with my system! Between a little tweaking on Peace EQ, a switch to the BE2 pads, and the Phillips Mini-watts being just about right in terms of burn in, I'm groovin and the system is in the zone!!! Got Santana's 'Shaman' album on, and the rythm section is glorious! Must be one of those nights when the power grid is a little more quiet.

Happy listening, and have a great night!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #6,737 of 6,942
The GEC A-2900's finally arrived, currently burning in. They sound really nice so far, this is one tube set that will be have to be saved for special occasions!!! I'm starting to see what all the hype is about! Will probably get a few hours of listening in tonight, then rebox them and await my next mod.

Unfortunately, the Reflektor 6N23P-EV's are on wartime hold (Impulse purchase on Ebay, ends up they are from Ukraine :fearful:), may never get them, but they have bigger problems to worry about.

Recieved the Audio Note resistors, have the first pair of V-cap ODAM's on order, and I may have found a good external fillament supply on E-bay( https://www.ebay.com/itm/353532995691 ). I would get the 7 volt one. Hopefully by the time it crosses the umbilical connections, plus a small value resistor onboard the Mjolnir, I should have 6.3 volts. Reading an interesting article on grounding that will hopefully help me tie the two together
( https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/audio-component-grounding-and-interconnections.163575/ ).

Hope all of you had a great weekend/4th!!! For all those who've purchased a Folkvangr, I hope you've recieved it or will soon, and it's everything you imagined. Yumm, it looks both tasty and toasty!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0950[1].JPG
    IMG_0950[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #6,738 of 6,942
The GEC A-2900's finally arrived, currently burning in. They sound really nice so far, this is one tube set that will be have to be saved for special occasions!!! I'm starting to see what all the hype is about! Will probably get a few hours of listening in tonight, then rebox them and await my next mod.

Unfortunately, the Reflektor 6N23P-EV's are on wartime hold (Impulse purchase on Ebay, ends up they are from Ukraine :fearful:), may never get them, but they have bigger problems to worry about.

Recieved the Audio Note resistors, have the first pair of V-cap ODAM's on order, and I may have found a good external fillament supply on E-bay( https://www.ebay.com/itm/353532995691 ). I would get the 7 volt one. Hopefully by the time it crosses the umbilical connections, plus a small value resistor onboard the Mjolnir, I should have 6.3 volts. Reading an interesting article on grounding that will hopefully help me tie the two together
( https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/audio-component-grounding-and-interconnections.163575/ ).

Hope all of you had a great weekend/4th!!! For all those who've purchased a Folkvangr, I hope you've recieved it or will soon, and it's everything you imagined. Yumm, it looks both tasty and toasty!!!
See my listing in the Classifieds for my pair of GEC A 2900’s....the very rare Triple Mica Square Getter version.
S O L D !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #6,739 of 6,942
Hi All! The Ruskie tubes finally came in Saturday, have been enjoying them lots!!! Seem to have both extension and nice imaging/soundstage. Well worth the wait, especially at two pair for approx US$125 shipped. Took a while to get here, but considering the War in Ukraine, they did amazingly well!

Speaking of Ukraine and the international scene, have done less listening this week while attending The World Games 2022 in Birmingham, AL. What a fun time, got to see the Latin Dancing Friday, and the womens artistic gymnasts Tuesday and Wednesday. Ukraine gymanast was quite good and got a lot of support, but all of them were excellent and a blast to watch!

I'll be ordering a few more high end tubes Friday, and then I'm cooling it on tube purchases for a while. Getting a pair of Telefunken E188CC's to play with, and a back up of another tube for posterity!

Been reading the Folkvangr thread with great interest, cool stuff but waaaaay too rich for my blood, I'll stick with my Mjolnir and continue modding. Hope Ya'll all have a great night!

Edit: Hey, what do you know, my 100th post!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0961[1].JPG.png
    IMG_0961[1].JPG.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #6,740 of 6,942
I recently changed up from planar (empyrean) to the ZMF Atrium. I wanted to switch it up to see if it suits me better.

You are all a bad influence on my wallet!!!
Impressions? I'm on the fence for the Atriums, pairing with Gungnir MB > Mjolnir 2.

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #6,741 of 6,942
I'm using iPad > yggy A1 unison > mj2 (balanced). I don't have much to compare, but I have no complaints. I actually like it. I mostly prefer female/male vocal centric pop/indie music.

From the xduoo mt604 the MJ2 has a more precise image, a step up in details, and wider soundstage, but still retains a warmer holographic signature. The midrange has texture and natural sound. It very musical.

I previously (before the atrium) had Burson 3xp but thought it was too "clean" for my tastes even if it did have a wider soundstage, cleaner (more details), and higher freq extension.

My personal opinion is that the atriums sound great on a lot of equipment including the MJ2. I've heard the abyss 1266 and susvara on the MJ2 and I felt they both could sound better. With the atrium, I don't desire more.

I would say the atrium+MJ2 sound close to how most would describe the sound of the atrium (vocal king, natural, organic, amazing imagining/staging) and the MJ2 (hybrid - dynamic, transparent, but with tuby warmness) respectively. I think its a great pairing that doesn't leaving me wanting more or wondering if I'm missing anything based on the discussions here (aka there are better headphone amps than the mj2)

Of course ymmv, but I hope this help.

Jul 19, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #6,743 of 6,942
Aug 2, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #6,744 of 6,942
I was lucky enough to pick up an Abyss 1266TC. I'm using it with the MJ2 (high gain) with the standard EH 6922 tubes - everything I know about the tube and the abyss would suggest it would not would work well (EH is a neutral, sterile tube). I have read at least one headfi that didn't like the 1266 + MJ2 pairing. I think its dynamic with a balanced sound. I think the mids are just right - not too forward and not recessed as 1266 can be. There's sufficient air/soundstage and details. I can easily tell the difference between the ZMF atrium -> abyss 1266. I'm sure I'll sell the mj2 at some point to move up, but right now i'm really enjoying it.

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #6,745 of 6,942
I was lucky enough to pick up an Abyss 1266TC. I'm using it with the MJ2 (high gain) with the standard EH 6922 tubes - everything I know about the tube and the abyss would suggest it would not would work well (EH is a neutral, sterile tube). I have read at least one headfi that didn't like the 1266 + MJ2 pairing. I think its dynamic with a balanced sound. I think the mids are just right - not too forward and not recessed as 1266 can be. There's sufficient air/soundstage and details. I can easily tell the difference between the ZMF atrium -> abyss 1266. I'm sure I'll sell the mj2 at some point to move up, but right now i'm really enjoying it.
I have a cap modded MJ2 that i also enjoy daily I use it to play planars mostly and occasionally a ZMF + Sony Z1R. My upgrade for the MJ2 would be either Cayin HA-6A or Woo WA22.

Aug 3, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #6,746 of 6,942
Nice. There really isn't anything like the MJ2 (powerful tube hybrid - transparent enough to let each headphone and tubes shine).

I was thinking headlamp GSX-mini or ifi ican pro signature but I'm pretty fickle and tends to change base on what folks are talking about here. I'd like to try the wa22 but worried that it's underpowered for the 1266tc and the tubes are getting expensive.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #6,747 of 6,942
Nice. There really isn't anything like the MJ2 (powerful tube hybrid - transparent enough to let each headphone and tubes shine).

I was thinking headlamp GSX-mini or ifi ican pro signature but I'm pretty fickle and tends to change base on what folks are talking about here. I'd like to try the wa22 but worried that it's underpowered for the 1266tc and the tubes are getting expensive.
I hear ya. My biggest concern with the wa22 is also power + tube cost. The cayin will be cheaper in that aspect

My mj2 being cap modded is one of 4 in existence and I cherish it dearly because of it raw power.

Aug 3, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #6,748 of 6,942
I love my Mjolnir 2, it's my end game for several reasons. 1st - plenty of power, for nearly any headphone I could throw at it. 2nd, it has enough tube goodness to keep me interested in it. There are better tube headphone amps out there, but I don't feel I miss out on much, post mod. Sometimes it gets close to uncanny in stage presentation, and slam and punch are hard to beat. Lastly, I've only got to worry about 1 pair of signal tubes, and they are of a more available variety than most, so I can tube roll to my hearts content without getting lost in the weeds trying for rare glass. Between 6DJ8's, 12AT7,s, a few rusky models, etc, etc, etc, I should have no problem staying up and running for years to come. Plus, I'm crazy enough and handy enough to mod my own, so my sound will improve further. For me, it's a keeper!!!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #6,749 of 6,942
Hey All!
One of the 4 pairs of tubes I have on order came in, Telefunken ECC801S, liking it so far! Should be a fun weekend!!!

Still to recieve pairs of Siemens E180CC's, GE smoked glass 6DJ8's, and Voshod Rocket 6N23P's, should be in Moday or so, then I need to cool it on tube purchases for a while.

So, this is my first pair of Telefunken's, seems pretty close to the Amperex's I've heard, but thats just an initial impression, will have to do a shoot out at some point to really get a feel for differences. I've got Fiona Apple's Tidal on right now, just kinda mellowing in her heavy vibe!

Hope you all are well! Have a wonderful weekend , and happy listening!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0963.JPG.png
    IMG_0963.JPG.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #6,750 of 6,942
Hey All!
One of the 4 pairs of tubes I have on order came in, Telefunken ECC801S, liking it so far! Should be a fun weekend!!!

Still to recieve pairs of Siemens E180CC's, GE smoked glass 6DJ8's, and Voshod Rocket 6N23P's, should be in Moday or so, then I need to cool it on tube purchases for a while.

So, this is my first pair of Telefunken's, seems pretty close to the Amperex's I've heard, but thats just an initial impression, will have to do a shoot out at some point to really get a feel for differences. I've got Fiona Apple's Tidal on right now, just kinda mellowing in her heavy vibe!

Hope you all are well! Have a wonderful weekend , and happy listening!!!
Those TF ECC801S s are ☑️. I roll them in Woo WA2 (OTL) … among other h/p/a…😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back