Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Mar 18, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #2,521 of 6,930
Something interesting just happened. The crackling just came back on the right socket. Just for fun I swapped the one of the two top socket savers and the crackling followed the socket saver. So I deduct that my problem is caused(in part) by a bad socket saver. Make sense? Do socket saver are often cause of crackling noises? Could my previous electric setup(powerbar) damaged a socket saver?

I`m back on a sweet pair of western electric since I don't have the extra socket saver needed for the 6c8g.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #2,523 of 6,930
Hey guys,
Question, has anyone rolled a 6sn7 tube into their MJOLNIR 2, I see they make adapters for 6922 to 6sn7 but I am not sure how to judge compatibility. Any help would be appreciated.

You won't be able to roll 6SN7 tubes in the MJ2 but you can roll 6C8G tubes with the proper adapters.

These are other tubes you can roll in the MJ2 with the right adapters:
396A/2c51/5670
6N3Ps

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #2,524 of 6,930
Hello,
Can anyone give any comparisons between Mjolnir and LYR2? Id like to upgrade but need to know first if it’s worth it. I’d appreciate any feedback.

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #2,525 of 6,930
Hello,
Can anyone give any comparisons between Mjolnir and LYR2? Id like to upgrade but need to know first if it’s worth it. I’d appreciate any feedback.

What headphones were you going to use with them? For the planars, I'd question the value of the upgrade, but someone else can comment on that. Listening on HD800's, MJ2 balanced is more dynamic and harder hitting than Lyr 2.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #2,526 of 6,930
What headphones were you going to use with them? For the planars, I'd question the value of the upgrade, but someone else can comment on that. Listening on HD800's, MJ2 balanced is more dynamic and harder hitting than Lyr 2.

I concur with @roshambo. I had the Lyr2 and upgraded to the MJ2 and to my ears their was an improvement. However, any thing sound related is subjective and YMMV. But I do not think that you would be disappointed in the upgrade.

Mar 29, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,527 of 6,930
I'll be using all the headphones in my sig. I'll sell the LYR2 and Jot but keep the Ember because I really like this little amp.

I concur with @roshambo. I had the Lyr2 and upgraded to the MJ2 and to my ears their was an improvement. However, any thing sound related is subjective and YMMV. But I do not think that you would be disappointed in the upgrade.
That's good to hear. I understand what we hear is so very personal and subjective, but it's just I really don't want to spend all the cash and have minimal sound upgrade. Another wrinkle into the equation is I'm thinking about also picking up a Gumby. So I'd be going from a Mimby/LYR2 to the Mjolnir/Gumby. Will that change your opinion, or still the same? It's so difficult to ask this questions because I truly know it's all subjective but there's no way of test driving this combo.
I appreciate both of your responses. But sell me guys! :)

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,528 of 6,930
I recently upgraded from my Bifrost Multibit / Lyr2 to Gungir Multibit / Mjolnir 2. I did this to have a fully balanced DAC and amp to drive my recently-purchased balanced Grado PS2000e and GS2000e headphones.

I did not have both at once, as I sold the first pair to buy the second pair, but working from memory, either pair soiunded good. I did not notice any big improvement in sound.

However, neither the Lyr2 nor the Mjolnir2 sound as good as my HiFiMAN EF-6 for my HiFiMAN HE1000 headphones, This is using either the stock tubes or the LISST solid state replacements in the Mjolnir. I also have a pair of Amperex Orange Globes I will try in the Mjolnir2 before I finally declare it inferior to the HiFiMAN EF-6, but I am not optimistic.

Oh, and the Grados sound a bit better on the HIFIMAN EF-6 as well to me!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #2,529 of 6,930
Hello,

I have both LYR2 and Mjolnir 2 using AFO (with Forza Audioworks Noir Mk2 cable which, incidentally, is a worthwhile upgrade to the stock cable)... MJ2 certainly has a better grip on the presentation ...more authoritative, if you like. However, I do still enjoy using LYR2 with AFO ... it is a somewhat 'lighter' presentation, not quite as full-bodied nor quite as warm, although we aren't talking a huge difference in warmth and this will depend on tubes to a degree.

Mar 29, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #2,530 of 6,930
I landed up buying the Mjolnir :)
I’ll be selling my LYR2 and Jot (no DAC) now.
Before I post, if anyone’s interested, PM me.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #2,531 of 6,930

You won't regret it.

On that note, did you upgrade the tubes in the Lyr2 with some NOS's that you will transfer to the MJ2?

If not, do so.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,532 of 6,930

Congrats! The MJ2 is great. Definitely agree with tjl5709, the stock tubes are a pale shadow of what the amp is capable of.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #2,533 of 6,930
So I finally broke down and got the Telefunken 6922’s from Upscale Audio, honestly the idea of buying tubes that expensive seemed so stupid.... and I was just plain wrong. I have the Nationals 7dj8’s and 6dj8’s and the Tunsgram 6922s as well. MJ2 owners need to go out and get yourself some NOS Nationals, it will be the best $50 dollars you have ever spent, they are awesome and way above the stock tubes, man they have a great midrange. The Tunsgram 6922s were good, they were more aggressive in the top and bottom, but they were missing in my opinion the magical midrange of the Nationals and for their price ($200) I was a bit disappointed. On the other hand the Telefunkens (gotten from a friend for $300 un-used) were a shock in every way. The midrange was amazing, the image was amazing, the highs and lows were amazing, the viel was lifted, the eagle landed, the foot started tapping and I lost myself in the music. They were that good, and to me made the MJ2 sound like a totally different amp. Again all of the above is my subjective opinion, but I was quite amazed by the transformation.

Now all of this being said the Nationals are at least 80% of the Telefunkens, but that extra 20% added that little bit more clarity, and that magic midrange mixed with the top and bottom end that made me forget I was wearing headphones.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #2,534 of 6,930
You won't regret it.

On that note, did you upgrade the tubes in the Lyr2 with some NOS's that you will transfer to the MJ2?

If not, do so.

Congrats! The MJ2 is great. Definitely agree with tjl5709, the stock tubes are a pale shadow of what the amp is capable of.

Thanx guys. If you look at my profile, you’ll have your answer :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back