Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 21, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #2,356 of 6,963
It's getting harder and harder to wait! I catch myself eyeing a few other options while I'm waiting.
I do the same thing. But you know what they say. Anything worth having takes time and patience

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #2,357 of 6,963
I think the V280 will give you exactly what you are looking for...if you can swing the extra $$ over the Mjolnir2, you will NOT regret it. I have the V281 and it is a monster when it is running balanced. It has twice the power and the sound signature is more detailed, energetic and extends both in the highs and lows much more than the V200 (which sounds much like running the V280/V281 in single-ended configuration).

The Mjolnir 2 is a fantastic amp, and a real "bargain" at $850, but I find my V281 to be the better amp for most use cases and it is the one I listen to the most by a large margin.

I just ordered the Ayre Codex DAC/Amp to replace my Gumby/Mj2 I purchased last year. But I was concerned about power and being able to control the outputs. The V281 looks like it will solve all my problems while still being more of a desktop sized solution. Would you agree? If so my Schiit stack is going up for sale....

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2,359 of 6,963
I keep being tempted by Gumby, but then realize what I really need is Yggy. It's a bad cycle.
What you really need is this...
617dave.promo_.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #2,361 of 6,963
586C2156-3952-4FDE-B723-489C6A965252.jpeg
WAHHHHH!

I.
Want!
My!
MJOLNIR 2!

7663223C-6F2C-4A19-9B1D-2DDF704A9A8A.jpeg

I ordered it Dec. 27, just after Schiit extended the delivery estimate of the MJ2 from week of Dec 29 to the week of January 19. Now they estimate starting delivery week of February 15. I find that some are still waiting on orders placed in OCTOBER.

NOT FAIR! I want mine NOW! I’m gonna Hold My Breath until I get it!

Jan 22, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #2,362 of 6,963
Has there been any comment from Schiit on why the hold up? Parts supply issue or problem with a run of say something like boards would make the most sense but, kinda surprising given that all the rest of the product line (as far as I know) seems to be flowing out the door.
Or maybe an upgrade of some sort still being tested and they don't want to hear the schiit from buyers who take delivery of the old (and "truly" "obsolete") MJ2 and a short time later find out about the new and improved MJ2+?
The growing pains of success?

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #2,363 of 6,963
Has there been any comment from Schiit on why the hold up? Parts supply issue or problem with a run of say something like boards would make the most sense but, kinda surprising given that all the rest of the product line (as far as I know) seems to be flowing out the door.
Or maybe an upgrade of some sort still being tested and they don't want to hear the schiit from buyers who take delivery of the old (and "truly" "obsolete") MJ2 and a short time later find out about the new and improved MJ2+?
The growing pains of success?
I received an email from Schiit saying that, due to current part projections, MJ2 is expected to ship by the end of February.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #2,365 of 6,963
Ah, long wait for the MJ2 is killing me. While we're all waiting, can you all chime in on which setup you prefer and why: Gumby/MJ2 or Ygg/MJ2. I'm bouncing back and forth on trying to decide which DAC to go with. This will most likely be the last headphone setup that I purchase, at least for a long time to come, so I want to do it right. Thanks

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #2,366 of 6,963
If the Yggy is within reach financially I'd just buy the new upgraded version and be done. The most direct route to the top is usually the most cost effective in the long run as well. Had I bought a Gumby first Yggy would have continued to be a "I wonder if..."

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #2,367 of 6,963
If the Yggy is within reach financially I'd just buy the new upgraded version and be done. The most direct route to the top is usually the most cost effective in the long run as well. Had I bought a Gumby first Yggy would have continued to be a "I wonder if..."
Have you personally listened to both combinations though? I have the HD 800 S and just want the best possible combination for that headphone

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #2,368 of 6,963
No, I did not listen to Gumby. I did not expect the Yggy to sound less good than the Gumby and the cost difference was not an issue for me. If the price is of consequence then you should audition both and decide for yourself. The Yggy sounds just fine with any of my 3 HP amps and any of my 3 TOTL phones.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #2,369 of 6,963
Have you personally listened to both combinations though? I have the HD 800 S and just want the best possible combination for that headphone

I would break it down this way:

First a caveat - I have not heard the new analog 2 Yggy, could be a game changer but no idea.

When we are talking about the differences between high quality DACs like this, especially using very similar tech, we are talking about a small difference in absolute terms, maybe like 5%. This is of course subjective.

Having heard both, I would say yes, the Yggy is better. However this is with critical listening. If you are looking for the absolute best, get the (I’d guess upgraded analog 2) Yggy and don’t look back.

The only exceptions to this are if (a) you are not a very critical listener or (b) you may be one of the people that hears the Yggy as too analytical and the Gumby as slightly more relaxed. I am not one of those people so can’t help you there, only your ears will know.

I can tell you that I love my Gumby and I probably will someday upgrade but not because I am in any way unsatisfied with its performance. For now with the Mjo2 I opt for the Gumby in part for aesthetics of the stack. I just enjoy the music and don’t really sweat the small performance gains.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #2,370 of 6,963
Thank you so much for the quick replies. This information is very helpful. Does anyone have any other amp recommendations for HD 800 S besides MJ2 with the Yggdrasil? I really want this to be my end game set up. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back