Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jun 18, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,116 of 6,930
Got the Mjolnir 2 with Gumby a few weeks ago and have to say it's been absolute treat. Coming from the Jotunheim, this combo is a great upgrade and my Ether Flows are driven amazingly. Using some '68 orange globes, really smooth and warm tubes, just what I like :beyersmile:

Great pairing! I am playing Crosby, Stills & Nash off Tidal right now on almost that same rig (Gumby->MJ2 w/Gold Lions->Ether Flow). Re-discovering old music on a (IMO) top flight rig is indeed an absolute treat.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #2,118 of 6,930
[QUOTE="shadow_shooter, post: 13552874, member: 53340]

Today I bought a new adapter and nervous about giving it a try. Honestly I would kill my newborn for that extra channel added. Let's see if the new adapter will work :D[/QUOTE]

Message from your born/unborn newborn: please don't kill me. Not even for the Orpheus.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,119 of 6,930
Finally it arrived! Mighty impressed and what an upgrade from my Little dot mk3 - i even shed a tear while listening to halford scream my ears off, the 650hd really came alive, fatter bass, sharper treble (for pretty dark HPs) and the midrange strong as ever. Best buy in my hifi career.
Sad my cheap balanced cable dident register as a 4pin XLR though, so had to order a new one. Interested how it develops with further burn in and tube changes

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,122 of 6,930
Mine just arrived today with a pair of LISST. I'm starting off with them so I can get a feel for where "center" is, then I want to start experimenting with various tubes.

I'm excited!

Good way to start...that's what I did

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,123 of 6,930
As a general PSA, if you are experiencing humming, listening fatigue or pain, or have noticed that having other electrical items on in your home changes your listening experience for the worse, get yourself an Emotiva CMX-2 power conditioning unit. I was experiencing pain from listening through HD650 (or any headphones, actually) until I added the Emotiva. It was a more noticeable improvement to listening pleasure than changing tubes (both Miniwatts and WE396A's were causing me physical discomfort). If you're concerned your power is causing any sorts of issues, give it a try. It's worth it; I'm not the only person I've spoken with who has heard the benefits of a power conditioner. Note I had no noticed issues with less expensive Schiit amps. The Mjo 2 is just a beast and benefits from clean power, I suspect.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,124 of 6,930
As a general PSA, if you are experiencing humming, listening fatigue or pain, or have noticed that having other electrical items on in your home changes your listening experience for the worse, get yourself an Emotiva CMX-2 power conditioning unit. I was experiencing pain from listening through HD650 (or any headphones, actually) until I added the Emotiva. It was a more noticeable improvement to listening pleasure than changing tubes (both Miniwatts and WE396A's were causing me physical discomfort). If you're concerned your power is causing any sorts of issues, give it a try. It's worth it; I'm not the only person I've spoken with who has heard the benefits of a power conditioner. Note I had no noticed issues with less expensive Schiit amps. The Mjo 2 is just a beast and benefits from clean power, I suspect.

Thanks, I got the CMX-6. Cheap enough to give it a try. Sometimes when I turn off a light my monitor and TV go out for a few seconds.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,125 of 6,930
Thanks, I got the CMX-6. Cheap enough to give it a try. Sometimes when I turn off a light my monitor and TV go out for a few seconds.

I just noticed that the CMX-6 and 2 are different, so I got the CMX-2 too.

Do you think I could daisy chain the 6 to the 2, using one of the 2's plugs?

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,126 of 6,930
All, how versatile is the Mjolnir in terms of warmth/brightness?

I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon to warm up bright headphones (HD800), but was thinking of getting the Jotunheim to brighten up darker headphones (NightOwl, possibly Atticus in the future). Would the Mjolnir 2 have both bases covered with normal tubes, and the LISST tubes? Or is it closer to neutral with the LISST tubes? I've seen the amp described as musical, which tends to mean warm.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2,127 of 6,930
All, how versatile is the Mjolnir in terms of warmth/brightness?

I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon to warm up bright headphones (HD800), but was thinking of getting the Jotunheim to brighten up darker headphones (NightOwl, possibly Atticus in the future). Would the Mjolnir 2 have both bases covered with normal tubes, and the LISST tubes? Or is it closer to neutral with the LISST tubes? I've seen the amp described as musical, which tends to mean warm.

To answer your first question: Yes, wide latitude depending on tubes selected.
I have never found the MJ2 to be excessively 'bright', perhaps with some tubes, a little more energy in the upper mids, but I do choose tubes carefully.

Q2: Stock tubes, if they are still the same Russian tube as initially provided, are good to OK, depending on what you have heard before. Can't answer for the LSST.
However, I will say you can 'cover the bases' with less than the cost of the LSST pair. You don't need to spend extravagant sums of money to get the high quality tubes, very reasonable in fact. (You mentioned the 'wallet' issue on your profile page.)

MJ2 described as musical?: That term does get used a bit, IMO, it would mean the same as that given in the dictionary. Anyway, the MJ2 is not warm, although you could go in that direction with tubes that emphasize the low end. Best thing I can say about the MJ2 in this regard, or any amp of similar capability, is that it will give you better control of both the low and the high end.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,128 of 6,930
I'm not the only person I've spoken with who has heard the benefits

I too like speaking with myself. I find it both agreeable and productive :D

Btw, sounds like good advice to use power conditioning.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,129 of 6,930
In my quest for the best sound quality possible from my digitally sourced music, I concentrated on devices to clean up and decrapify the USB signals sent to my DAC. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing to do. But, a thread over on CA reminded me that there are other important steps to be taken as well. One of those steps is providing clean power to the audio gear in the first place.

John Swenson suggested getting an isolation transformer with extremely low inter-winding capacitance (.005pf or .0005pf). This type of isolation transformer "doesn't pass the high frequency crud on the AV main". He then suggested using a quality power strip with no filtering or surge suppression as the isolation transformer will handle that. He recommended plugging all the audio components into the power strip. He said "This dramatically cuts down on the impedance between boxes, significantly lowering noise generated by leakage loops." John uses a Topaz isolation transformer.

I bought a 2.5KVA Topaz 91002-31 Line Noise Suppressing Utra-Isolator (.0005pF) transformer. I plugged it in to a wall outlet and then plugged a TrippLite power strip with all my audio equipment (not the computer) into it. This includes my Yggdrasil, Mjolnir 2, Freya, and my powered monitors.

The first bit of good news is that the transformer is virtually silent. If I stick my head right next to it I can here a slight hum but it is well below the ambient noise of the room with no music playing. I have no idea how clean or dirty my AC power is on the outlet I had the audio equipment plugged into. I can say that with the Topaz I think the noise floor is lower. In other words, the background sounds quieter. It's like the music is coming from a noiseless place. The details and clarity in the timbre of voices and instruments has improved. Finally, the separation of instruments and voices is even better than before.

Listening to Steely Dan's "Hey Nineteen" is amazing. The soundstage is fantastic. It is not too wide and the I can clearly discern the location of the various instruments better than before. Listening to CCR's "Susie Q" is wow...just wow!! The clarity, separation, and detail are incredible!

Using the Topaz isolation transformer and TrippLite power strip is certainly a step up in sound quality. I am impressed! Very impressed indeed!!

I am still using the Singxer F-1 to feed my Yggdrasil via its SPDIF coax port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back