Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 28, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #2,086 of 6,930
Ok, quick poll for a sanity check. How hot does your MJ2 top plate get to the touch after say 5-6 hours of use?

I listened for about 2-3 hours today and did not power it down right away. When I went back a few hours later to flip the power switch on the back the top plate was way beyond "warm". I put my hand on the top plate and held it there and it was hot.
Yep...same here...altho it seems to vary with ambient temperature IME...I don't think it's anything to worry about (prev Jason Stoddard posts have affirmed that)... it's Class A/AB... defacto it runs hot...that's what it's supposed to do.

May 28, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #2,087 of 6,930
Ok, quick poll for a sanity check. How hot does your MJ2 top plate get to the touch after say 5-6 hours of use?

I listened for about 2-3 hours today and did not power it down right away. When I went back a few hours later to flip the power switch on the back the top plate was way beyond "warm". I put my hand on the top plate and held it there and it was hot.

It gets hot. Not so hot I can't keep my hand on it...but hot...and hotter than you would otherwise think is good.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #2,091 of 6,930
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've have owned tube amps and single ended class A stereo amps in the past that ran warm but this little guy is cooking!

If you're going to be some tube rolling, get some extenders, it makes changes easier, and with them sticking up, it moves some of the heat out of the unit.

May 29, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #2,093 of 6,930
The case "heat sink" looks a lot better than my old stereo amp that had these massive heat sink fins bolted on either side of the chassis.

Don't say that too loud, that is what the Vidar will look like :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 29, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #2,094 of 6,930
The case "heat sink" looks a lot better than my old stereo amp that had these massive heat sink fins bolted on either side of the chassis.

I love the fins on my Panache. But MJ2 is perhaps a more utilitarian design in terms of functionality per gram of weight.

May 29, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #2,095 of 6,930
Don't say that too loud, that is what the Vidar will look like :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ah yes, the mythical Vidar. I want to try that for my two channel stereo when it comes out. Not sure it would replace my current integrated amp, but, it could enable some consolidation between my current headphone rig in the office and the stereo rig in the back room. Too much Schiit to think about :slight_smile:

May 31, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #2,097 of 6,930
So i got a Mjolnir coming in a couple of days and i currently have some Amperex for it but should i burn it in for 10-20hrs with the stock tubes first or just change immediately?

Cheers
I got my Mjolnir2 last week and opted to keep the stock tubes in for initial impressions. I feel it gives me a better baseline from which to roll in tubes later that suit my preferences.

General consensus is that the stock tubes are nothing special and the MJ2 takes well to tube rolling. That said, it's still been a good week of listening to the stock amp while knowing things only get better with the right tubes!

May 31, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2,100 of 6,930
I got my Mjolnir2 last week and opted to keep the stock tubes in for initial impressions. I feel it gives me a better baseline from which to roll in tubes later that suit my preferences.

General consensus is that the stock tubes are nothing special and the MJ2 takes well to tube rolling. That said, it's still been a good week of listening to the stock amp while knowing things only get better with the right tubes!

If your looking for tubes I post deals in the the Lyr tube rolling thread as I find them.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-861

Users who are viewing this thread

Back