Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jul 28, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #1,306 of 6,943
I noticed that whenever I changed out a tube the socket saver had a tendency to come with the tube a bit but not fully. I then discovered that if I don't allow the tubes to cool down all the way to room temperature before removing, the heat keeps both the tubes metal pins and the pin receptacles in the Tubemongers expanded against each other a bit. I use dirt cheap, powder free, disposable yet re-usable in this case,surgical gloves which are very ""grippy" on the glass tube and "gently" rock and rotate both the tube and socket saver. Once one is removed you can slip your finger in to help remove the remaining one. I suspect that one of the metal cleaning/lubricating fluids for the pins and sockets might make the overall process easier.

One of the truly knowledgeable tube guru's here on Head-Fi posted a while back to place a length of dental floss, (un-waxed probably would be best to keep any heat melted goop off the socket and tubes) or a sturdy gauge sewing thread, under the socket saver before installing, using enough length on each tail end to grab and pull up on. Brilliant in its simplicity, but maybe not so aesthetically pleasing.

I wish Schiit had designed the cage area as removable, but of course that would require extra cost to do it properly, might have an effect on the sturdiness/rigidity of the over design of the case, and the grills contact points could, I guess, become a spot where subtle vibration affects could be induced to the case. A cubed cage sitting on top could also induce issues and make proper shipping packaging a pita to deal with. A larger opening for the tubes could be a help.

And how to attach the removable grill? Nuts and washers are out. A tack-welded threaded washer? Threaded holes in the case? Magnets? Some sort of pressure fitted male to female metal work. They all have some big drawbacks to my way of thinking.

A tool specific to this task would be the best solution.

I'm going to continue without the socket savers for a while just too see how it goes, the less points of contact in a circuit the better, right?

The tubes are better protected down in the case (kinda' reminds me of "Whack-a-Mole"). And, at $300.00 to $500.00 a pair for some top shelf, matched and massaged tubes, you want to protect them at all cost..

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,307 of 6,943
Yeah, had I to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't even use socket savers although it does make tube rolling way easier, and also makes the amp run cooler. I plan to include them and leave them in the amp if I ever sell it. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #1,308 of 6,943
I had the socket savers purchased and in-house before I got the MJ2 delivered so I haven't operated the unit without them until now. Others report no sonic difference with or without the tube lifters.

The more I think about it, if the openings in the cage were 1/2 inch wider in diameter we might not even be discussing this matter. I think the heat would dissipate better and the difficulty in aligning, inserting and pulling of the tubes would be solved. But, I'm sure the Schiit guys thought about all this and there may be good reasons we don't know about as to why it is the way it is.

Of course playing tube roulette several times a day will put wear and tear on the sockets and tube pins so in that case the lifters are a big plus and they are just not that costly compared to having to replace a socket or a damaged tube. I would generally not change out any tubes more than once a day and actually in the 2 months I've had the MJ2 I've only made changes on 5 occasions.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,310 of 6,943
I know you've all been dying to hear this:  I've decided save some cash for now and just go back to the original Mjolnir for now.  If anyone needs some '75 HGs, and '74 Reflektors (which I picked up from rb2013, but haven't used at all), I've got 'em on Audio Mart.  I guess I could probably 'LISST' 'em on here too.  Though, I wonder if I should maybe hang onto 'em in case Schiit releases a sweet two channel preamp soon that uses 6DJ8/6922/etc. tubes...

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,311 of 6,943
Just a bit of follow up on tube rolling without the "lifters'. The disposable / re-useable, vinyl, powder free gloves worked perfectly. "Grippy" enough to pull and push the tubes / LISST's almost straight up and down. Cost? $2.29 for a box of 50 at the supermarket. That number should last longer than I will.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,312 of 6,943
On the other hand....

I'm debating using a Mjolnir not just as a headphone amp, but as a preamp to feed a pair of Focal SM9s.  With a forthcoming Yggdrasil feeding all of this, I imagine that setup would have the potential to be absolutely unreal for the price.  Perhaps the tubes in the Mjolnir 2 will add some life/musicality/tonal shadings to what could potentially be an otherwise dry/sterile sound with the SM9s.

Aug 6, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #1,313 of 6,943
  On the other hand....

I'm debating using a Mjolnir not just as a headphone amp, but as a preamp to feed a pair of Focal SM9s.  With a forthcoming Yggdrasil feeding all of this, I imagine that setup would have the potential to be absolutely unreal for the price.  Perhaps the tubes in the Mjolnir 2 will add some life/musicality/tonal shadings to what could potentially be an otherwise dry/sterile sound with the SM9s.

Judging by how good the low end of powered speakers sounds, I'm thinking the the MJ2/Focals would be outstanding.  I am using my Gumby/MJ2 to drive JBL305s and a 310 sub.  They are crisp and clean and could be harsh but the MJ2/Amperex tubes have made for a great combo to start with.  Because I thought the balanced HP output made a significant difference with my HPs I've kept to a balanced connection for the speakers and suspect that helps, too.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #1,314 of 6,943
  On the other hand....

I'm using the mj2 as a preamp for the psi a21's and it's outstanding! The tubes have an amazing effect on the soundstage that solid state pre's just can't match.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,317 of 6,943
Holy heck K1000 sounds amazing with Mjolnir 2 (and serious EQ to boost bass and dampen treble). Jason, you crazy genius. How am I getting this sound out of them for under 1k?!

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,318 of 6,943
Thanks McClelland!  Good to know.

I'm using the mj2 as a preamp for the psi a21's and it's outstanding! The tubes have an amazing effect on the soundstage that solid state pre's just can't match.

Also good to know, thank-you!  Those PSI's look like an interesting contender as well.  I know this thread isn't really the place for this, but could you please briefly comment on the nature of your setup?  Are you using them at a desk, or as a main speaker/front/two channel replacement?  The latter would the application I'd be using any potential powered monitors in.  For now I'm in an apartment, but next year we'll have a larger space once we move into a house.  (In other words, the a21s:  Mid-field friendly, or just near-frield only?)

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,319 of 6,943
This is a silly question. If you use the single ended input of the Mjolnir 2, does it convert it in the amp to a balanced signal so you can use the balanced headphone output? Or can you only use the single ended output? With my Auralic Taurus, the single ended input is able to be used as a balanced output. Just wondering if it is the same with the Mjolnir 2. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,320 of 6,943
  This is a silly question. If you use the single ended input of the Mjolnir 2, does it convert it in the amp to a balanced signal so you can use the balanced headphone output? Or can you only use the single ended output? With my Auralic Taurus, the single ended input is able to be used as a balanced output. Just wondering if it is the same with the Mjolnir 2. 

MJ2 will convert either way. SE to Balanced, Balanced to SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back