Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 3, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,156 of 6,956

It blew during powerup. I suspect because of my powered monitors being connected and on.

That doesn't make sense to me, unless you're using some kind of balanced to SE adapter (which Schiit advised not to). Also, was this covered under warranty?

May 3, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #1,157 of 6,956

That doesn't make sense to me, unless you're using some kind of balanced to SE adapter (which Schiit advised not to). Also, was this covered under warranty?

Mjolnir 2 has balanced and SE outputs and inputs.

I run balanced from my Gungnir to the Mjolnir 2 balanced from the Mjonlir 2 to my Yamaha HS8s.

Yes.

May 3, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #1,158 of 6,956

Mjolnir 2 has balanced and SE outputs and inputs.

I run balanced from my Gungnir to the Mjolnir 2 balanced from the Mjonlir 2 to my Yamaha HS8s.

Yes.

I have my powered speakers on all the time when powering on the MJ2 and haven't had any issue yet. That said, I usually turn the volume knob all the way down before I power down the MJ2 and it's still all the way down the next time I power it up. Maybe that helps things since there should technically be very little signal surging through any of the outputs?

May 3, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,159 of 6,956

I have my powered speakers on all the time when powering on the MJ2 and haven't had any issue yet. That said, I usually turn the volume knob all the way down before I power down the MJ2 and it's still all the way down the next time I power it up. Maybe that helps things since there should technically be very little signal surging through any of the outputs?

hmm, I usually turn the volume down myself but I get an awful pop once the relays close when I turn on my MJ2. What monitors are you using?

May 3, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,160 of 6,956

hmm, I usually turn the volume down myself but I get an awful pop once the relays close when I turn on my MJ2. What monitors are you using?

Audioengine A5+, so not balanced. I do not hear any pop or anything when powering up the MJ2. I do through headphones though so I make sure no headphones are plugged in before powering up. 

May 3, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #1,161 of 6,956
Sounds like a good plan to me, Mediahound.

I'm wondering if anyone could offer their thoughts on the difference between the performance of the SE 1/4" out on the Mjolnir 2 vs. the Asgard 2. I realize that there'd be a doubling of output power with the former, and I also understand that the balanced out is gonna be "where it's at" with the latter, but I'm hoping for at least somewhat of an increase in performance with my fancy single-ended IEMs. My source is the mighty 'Gumby'.

May 3, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #1,162 of 6,956

Audioengine A5+, so not balanced. I do not hear any pop or anything when powering up the MJ2. I do through headphones though so I make sure no headphones are plugged in before powering up. 

I wonder if there is any benefit with balanced line out to my monitors considering they are not powered by the MJ2.

May 3, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #1,163 of 6,956

I wonder if there is any benefit with balanced line out to my monitors considering they are not powered by the MJ2.

I don't understand the question. Balanced line out will be better sounding than single-ended. 

May 4, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #1,165 of 6,956
Sounds like a good plan to me, Mediahound.

I'm wondering if anyone could offer their thoughts on the difference between the performance of the SE 1/4" out on the Mjolnir 2 vs. the Asgard 2. I realize that there'd be a doubling of output power with the former, and I also understand that the balanced out is gonna be "where it's at" with the latter, but I'm hoping for at least somewhat of an increase in performance with my fancy single-ended IEMs. My source is the mighty 'Gumby'.

I am in consensus that the Mjolnir 2 balanced headphone output is a revelation. That said, I enjoy the SE headphone out just the same. It might not be my "favorite son," but it's still my child, and I love it. With Mjolnir 2, you get so much more flexibility than the Asgard 2. Of course, there is the matching stack reasoning and then no doubt more flexibility for audio fun in the future. Mjolnir 2 black is an empty void of nothing, sound through the IEM's should sound like they are being delivered from another dimension. 14 day return policy - try it!

May 4, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,166 of 6,956
I assumed you mean through the pre-amp balanced output. The benefit is to be able to control the volume with the volume knob..

Volume is controllable via SE and balanced pre-amp outputs.

May 4, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #1,168 of 6,956
See my review of the Mjolnir 2 for more on its pairing with HD800 and HE-6. Just updated it with HE-6/stock tube listening impressions.

May 4, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #1,169 of 6,956
Two things to keep in mind:

Like with a conventional, passive set of speakers you always want to turn your source (MJ2) on first, then turn on your speakers. When powering down you should turn off the speakers first, then your source. This prevents the "thumping" you've described and will protect your speakers from any damage caused by a surge of signal when you turn on your MJ2.

Secondly, there is an advantage to using XLR-XLR connections between your MJ2 and your monitors, but it's only a matter of eliminating radio/electromagnetic interference along the path between the two. This difference will be small compared to using the RCA pre-outs to connect your monitors as long as they are close to (≤~10ft from) your MJ2. If there's a greater distance between your MJ2 and your monitors or if you have a wireless router nearby you may start to hear noise (usually hissing) when your speakers are on but no music is being played. By using XLR connections along the chain you should guarantee that there is no hissing coming from your speakers as long as your gear is plugged into properly grounded outlets. 

I hope that helps. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back