Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 13, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,186 of 6,973
Ditto, it's a very versatile combination and an excellent value.

Updated review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-mjolnir-2/reviews/15772

tl;dr: with the right tubes, it does wonders with HE-6.

May 16, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #1,187 of 6,973
Disclaimer, not trying to start crap but just a question. Would it not be better to always "unstack" the mjo2/gumby combo?

Now granted, the stack looks sexy like Mrs. TCG in a new nitie, but...

*you're adding considerable heat to the amp and dac, potentially reducing lifespan

*potential introduction of noise especially on the dac

Currently I have them stacked, but I do have room on my desk to place them separately. Just curious. 

May 16, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,188 of 6,973
  Disclaimer, not trying to start crap but just a question. Would it not be better to always "unstack" the mjo2/gumby combo?

Now granted, the stack looks sexy like Mrs. TCG in a new nitie, but...

*you're adding considerable heat to the amp and dac, potentially reducing lifespan

*potential introduction of noise especially on the dac

Currently I have them stacked, but I do have room on my desk to place them separately. Just curious. 

I don't think having the Mjolnir on top of the Gungnir makes the DAC run very much warmer. Maybe slightly, but not enough to be concerned. However your concern about the increased noise of the DAC could be real. Probably not significant but in a really high quality system you could possibley notice a very small degradation of sound. I ran my Lyr 2 and Bifrost MB this way and can't say I noticed any difference, but I separate them now. When separated it's easier to deal with the cables to keep power and signal cables away from each other.

May 16, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,189 of 6,973

I don't think having the Mjolnir on top of the Gungnir makes the DAC run very much warmer. Maybe slightly, but not enough to be concerned. However your concern about the increased noise of the DAC could be real. Probably not significant but in a really high quality system you could possibley notice a very small degradation of sound. I ran my Lyr 2 and Bifrost MB this way and can't say I noticed any difference, but I separate them now. When separated it's easier to deal with the cables to keep power and signal cables away from each other.

I asked Schiit about this before. 

Although the DAC may be a bit warmer with the amp stacked on top of it, it still is well within the normal operating temperature threshold. The vast majority of customers place them stacked. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #1,190 of 6,973
I'm really enjoying my Gumby/Mjolnir combo so far, simply amazing sound.  Unless I have to have a heart to heart with my wallet, I think I'll be keeping the HE-1000s that I'm demoing.  Can anyone recommend any tube rolling options for this combination?  I've seen the Amperex Orange Globes mentioned...  Thanks in advance!

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #1,191 of 6,973
  I'm really enjoying my Gumby/Mjolnir combo so far, simply amazing sound.  Unless I have to have a heart to heart with my wallet, I think I'll be keeping the HE-1000s that I'm demoing.  Can anyone recommend any tube rolling options for this combination?  I've seen the Amperex Orange Globes mentioned...  Thanks in advance!

I have the '68 orange globes and enjoy them. I've heard the '75 reflektors are the best of the best, but are hard to get & expensive. 

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #1,192 of 6,973

rdaneel - today if I look at the amp I'm running Sylvania Gray Plate O Getter ECC88 / 6DJ8 Tubes.   I have to say, i tend to come back to these over and over.  But I thought the OEM ones were plenty good as well.  I guess the only one I didn't care for as much were the LIIST silicone mock tubes.   I'd be interested if you find others you like - I might have a little room in my desk drawer for one more set.  :)

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,193 of 6,973
Step over to the Lyr tube rolling thread. A lot of tube smart guys there. I like the 75 Reflektors but the Cca from Heerlen are my faves. They just beat every tube at their own strength to me. Then e188cc from Heerlen and suresnes. These tubes have great soundstage. I have a soft spot for ecc88 Blackburn made mullards for the sweetness of vocals and lush tone though they lack the dynamics of the others I mentioned. The 74 reflektors are good too but can be clinical. So much so I had to take them out of my dac. They were good in the Lyr, not quite as cold. I keep a back stock of Philips miniwatts because I love that signature. The e88ccs usually under $100. Valvos are the same tubes. Great. So to me there is no clear number 2 tube. Find a friend and trade around. Tubes cost way more than the amp within a few months. $50, $75 $100,$150 adds up quick. That said, the stock tubes are junk.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,194 of 6,973
I've been using the Mjolnir 2 with Schiit's phono preamp and really like the Telefunken e88cc/6922. Really nice combo. I have JHAudio IEMs and they're just too sensitive for the Mjolnir 2. Even on low gain there is still an audible hiss in the background.

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,196 of 6,973
The Schiit Mjolnir 2 in full balanced mode is excellent with the modified HE-6, 2016 LCD-X, and 2016 LCD-3. With the right tubes... right for your taste... you would have to buy a much more expensive amp to equal or better it... IMO.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,197 of 6,973
Does the gain knob on the Mj2 adjust the levels of the preamp outputs as well as the amp outputs? I am hoping I can run from the Mj2 directly into a power amp and then switch between headphones and PA without having to change any wires and just use the Mj2 as a preamp for the PA amp. If the gain doesn't adjust the preamp levels then I will sitll have to run everything through my mixer which is fine but just one more set of circuits that it has to touch.

If it doesn't I could go DAC > Mixer > MJ2 > headpphones/PA amp    orrr   DAC > MJ2 > headphones/mixer > PA amp    - the first option would allow me to mix in more sources to my headphones and allow for easy add ins, but would potentially be a less "clean" signal since it has to go through my board (which isn't the nicest in the world), the second would allow a cleaner headphone sound, but would move my preamp away from the amp and would have to go insert in on the mixer instead of mic in (not the end of the world).

Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts on this situation?

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #1,198 of 6,973
Does the gain knob on the Mj2 adjust the levels of the preamp outputs as well as the amp outputs? I am hoping I can run from the Mj2 directly into a power amp and then switch between headphones and PA without having to change any wires and just use the Mj2 as a preamp for the PA amp.

Yes it does.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #1,199 of 6,973
  Does the gain knob on the Mj2 adjust the levels of the preamp outputs as well as the amp outputs? I am hoping I can run from the Mj2 directly into a power amp and then switch between headphones and PA without having to change any wires and just use the Mj2 as a preamp for the PA amp. If the gain doesn't adjust the preamp levels then I will sitll have to run everything through my mixer which is fine but just one more set of circuits that it has to touch.

If it doesn't I could go DAC > Mixer > MJ2 > headpphones/PA amp    orrr   DAC > MJ2 > headphones/mixer > PA amp    - the first option would allow me to mix in more sources to my headphones and allow for easy add ins, but would potentially be a less "clean" signal since it has to go through my board (which isn't the nicest in the world), the second would allow a cleaner headphone sound, but would move my preamp away from the amp and would have to go insert in on the mixer instead of mic in (not the end of the world).

Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts on this situation?

Just keep in mind that the preamp outs do not mute when headphones are connected.

It's my only complaint about the MJ2.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #1,200 of 6,973

Just keep in mind that the preamp outs do not mute when headphones are connected.

It's my only complaint about the MJ2.

I don't mind this because occasionally I use dual subs with headphones for the body vibration effect. It helps. Actually, I prefer devices that don't mute in various situations, but rather output everything all the time and let me figure out how to handle it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back