Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 5, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #1,171 of 6,973
  I have had Gumby/MJ2 for about a week now. I love it, the only thing I wish more is a remote for MJ2. At the beginning, I felt that LISS didn't sound as good as tube, but now, I think they are close, I couldn't tell the difference without critical listening. 

Congrats on your new toys!  I'm about 2 weeks in on my Gumby/MJ2 stack and still getting to know it.   I'm 100% headphones at this point, so the volume knob is not an issue.   I think one of the reasons the remotes don't happen in this class of equipment is the additional noise that's introduced w/ the additional electronics.   So one way to accomplish that is to have a mechanical motor actually spin the knob, but that's both expensive, relatively unreliable (any mechanical device will introduce unreliability), and will still introduce noise at least when it's spinning.   Just my thoughts why you don't see it.

I have the LISST as well but lean to the glass tubes pretty quickly after a song or two.  I see the LISST as a disaster recovery plan in the event I break all of my tubes some how.  :)

I am enjoying the new DAC/Amp.   It is a replacement to my JDS Labs O2 amp/DAC combo.   This new stack is 10 times the cost, but certainly changes the game some!

I'm still feeling I have some optimization in getting it setup correctly.   I think I have the stream rate figured out now - streaming into the DAC w/ a laptop USB via TIDAL.

May 6, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,172 of 6,973

I am in consensus that the Mjolnir 2 balanced headphone output is a revelation. That said, I enjoy the SE headphone out just the same. It might not be my "favorite son," but it's still my child, and I love it. With Mjolnir 2, you get so much more flexibility than the Asgard 2. Of course, there is the matching stack reasoning and then no doubt more flexibility for audio fun in the future. Mjolnir 2 black is an empty void of nothing, sound through the IEM's should sound like they are being delivered from another dimension. 14 day return policy - try it!

Sounds like the ideal route, indeed.  I had debated getting a Lyr 2 (for desk space–my 'Gumby' is actually about 15 feet away, with its balanced out feeding my two channel system), but then I'd probably wind up in the same boat, wondering what I'm missing. I've heard the Lyr 2, and I previously had the original Mjolnir., but haven't heard the 2 with these '75 Reflectors I recently found.  And so on.  Thanks for your insight.

May 6, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #1,173 of 6,973
I am planning to get the Gumby/MJ2 upgrade to power my HE1000. Anyone with experience with this combo? 

May 7, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,174 of 6,973
^ You could always enter HE1000 into the "search this thread" box. HE1000 has been mentioned here and the chances are good some of them were with both pieces

May 7, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,175 of 6,973
  I am planning to get the Gumby/MJ2 upgrade to power my HE1000. Anyone with experience with this combo? 

Good morning Gavin, that's the combo I'm running here.   I can't be a super help as I'm only 2 or 3 weeks into it, but it's been a GREAT number of weeks so far!  I did go for the multi-bit Gumby, and the optional LISST tube replacements just so I can compare the various options.  I'm running some non-stock tubes and will likely stay that way as it seemed to put it in it's 'happy spot' for the time being.  I'm not sure what to say, but I smile every time I turn it on.  :)

My source is nothing more than TIDAL at the moment that streams at 44.1.   I find there's enough content out there to keep me more than amused.  I've tried some other FLAC and such, but TIDAL nets the same result for me. 

I also run a JDS Labs O2 Combo and HE400i combo (I use at work).  So that's the only real comparison I can make.   And truth be told for under a $1000, that O2 and HE400i is a killer deal.   I would say it's 80% of what I built at home.

The Schiit stack w/ HEK will certainly outperform the other configuration in it's ability to articulate sound.  It's so crazy separated and precise, but perfectly sloppy with the tubes.   Don't know how to describe it.

Let me know if I can answer anything.

May 8, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #1,176 of 6,973
Thanks for that, jbird. Good to know. I also have the Gungnir Multibit (with plans to one day upgrade to the Yggy), which primarily feeds my two channel setup, but I've also got 15 foot RCAs from it feeding my Asgard 2, which powers my HE560s (and Kaede IIs). My plan is to get the Mjolnir 2, and even further down the road, pick up something like the HE1000s. Good to know it should still deliver the goods for such capable cans.

May 8, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #1,177 of 6,973
Quote:
Thanks for that, jbird. Good to know. I also have the Gungnir Multibit (with plans to one day upgrade to the Yggy), which primarily feeds my two channel setup, but I've also got 15 foot RCAs from it feeding my Asgard 2, which powers my HE-560s (and Kaede IIs). My plan is to get the Mjolnir 2, and even further down the road, pick up something like the HE-1000s. Good to know it should still deliver the goods for such capable cans.

Turdski - interesting - thanks for the response.   I guess, if I was running 15-foot cables, I would want them to be balanced, or at least as high voltage as possible.  Any chance on getting your amp on top of your Gungnir, and get your headphone cable become the long cable run?    Just asking, as the from the little I know, the lower the voltage (amplitude) the better the chance of getting noise in that cable, especially pre-amps as you would be amplifying both the signal and noise.   Balanced cables help lessen that issue as they are somewhat self cancelling of noisy frequencies.    So not that I'm trying to spend your money, but if you bring in a new M2, I would certainly ensure you are running it w/ the balanced inputs at the 15 feet if you do indeed need that amp closer than not.   Otherwise, you might consider stacking the two units. . . .   then the best of both worlds is to run the headphones balanced (higher amplitude signal), so you are getting noise rejection on that long cable by being balanced signals as well as higher voltage.  (more accurately, the noise would be the same w/ the higher amplitude, but have a lesser impact on the sound relatively speaking).   Don't mean to be such a geek on you.   :)

May 9, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,178 of 6,973
Oh, I'm well aware of the benefits of using balanced cables (and better yet, running XLRs from between components that contain balanced topologies), which is why, as I sort of alluded to, my 'Gumby' is feeding my balanced Ayre components in my two channel system. This where probably 2/3 of my listening takes place, as my wonderful girlfriend also immensely appreciates music (and good sound). Using longer(ish) single-ended runs aren't optimal, but I'm using good cabling. I can't really afford two good DACs, and I want volume control whilst 'headphoning' at my computer desk. By the way, I use three 1.5 m USB cables and two Wyrds from my Macbook Pro (which is connected to a Thunderbolt enclosure that contains over half a year of lossless music) to my Gungnir Multibit. No music server is necessary in my case.

But back to them impress-shuns.

May 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #1,179 of 6,973
Oh, I'm well aware of the benefits of using balanced cables (and better yet, running XLRs from between components that contain balanced topologies), which is why, as I sort of alluded to, my 'Gumby' is feeding my balanced Ayre components in my two channel system. This where probably 2/3 of my listening takes place, as my wonderful girlfriend also immensely appreciates music (and good sound). Using longer(ish) single-ended runs aren't optimal, but I'm using good cabling. I can't really afford two good DACs, and I want volume control whilst 'headphoning' at my computer desk. By the way, I use three 1.5 m USB cables and two Wyrds from my Macbook Pro (which is connected to a Thunderbolt enclosure that contains over half a year of lossless music) to my Gungnir Multibit. No music server is necessary in my case.

But back to them impress-shuns.

Why two Wyrds?  Do you have two DACs?

May 9, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,180 of 6,973
I said I had three 1.5 m USB cables... two Wyrds, a Mac laptop, and a 'Gumby' (which is next to the preamp in my two channel system). Computer desk is 90 degrees, and some distance away, so....

EDIT: By the way, I highly recommend this sort of a set-up (using multiple Wyrds as not only a means of potentially cleaning up your USB signal, but as a range extender.) No streamer is necessary, and you're keeping components with switching power supplies and wifi away from your gear. This assuming one even has a two channel set-up to begin with. YMMVROFLMAONAISE

May 9, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #1,181 of 6,973

Turdski - sounds like a fun, and evolving, setup.  I ended up sticking my Schiit stack under my desk on a 15x15x15 two drawer cube that holds my misc cables, extra tubes and such.  This way I can both reach it and I get away w/ everything being fully balanced.   Lucky for me my Girlfriend thinks my HE1000 look like alien ears and she doesn't want to share - LOL.  

I'm also running a JDS O2/DAC combo for about $250, and for the money, that took care of me wanting to listen in other areas of the house, or even at work.   I can't say it's the 'same' as the Schiit stack, but for the cash outlay it was worth every penny, and sure beats using audio outs on the laptop.

May 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,182 of 6,973
Just got a pair of '68 Orange Globes. They seem to soften some sibilance vs. LISST that I heard in the Nilsson/Corelli/Maazel '67 Tosca. Continuing to a/b, may update my review with impressions.

May 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,183 of 6,973
By the way, I highly recommend this sort of a set-up (using multiple Wyrds as not only a means of potentially cleaning up your USB signal, but as a range extender.) 

I'd use a ethernet instead. Galvanic isolation, etc. Little more expensive but two Wyrds is $200.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-330-Feet-Ethernet-Extender-USB2G4LEXT2/dp/B00HFGQESY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

May 13, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #1,184 of 6,973
  Does this happen to anyone? What's going on? I keep the Yggy Bel Canto 600Ms on all the time. The Yggy and amps are hooked up with XLR cables. The gain is on low.

I'm curious what happened with this. It sounds like your tubes may be shorting while they are warming up.

May 13, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #1,185 of 6,973

Hi I have the Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 and use it to drive my HE1000. The HE1000 sounds great driven by this fantastic stack of steaming Schiit. And the MJ2 is a cool amp because you can roll tubes, to compliment the headphones you are using. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back